What Is Your Dog Allergic To?

laffi

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Foods she is allergic to - beef, lamb, wheat, corn, milk and any foods containing any of these.

Also fleas, dust mites, black ants, cockroaches, pollens, grasses....... the list goes on and on and on.....

Treated with antihistamine, liquid fish oil, capstar, frequent bathing, immunotherapy and feeding her food she is not allergic to.

Brown standard poodle allergic to lamb, beef, chicken and all grains (appears to be able to tolerate the meats in very small amounts if they have been cooked) fleas. She is treated with diet ( fish based dry food, turkey necks and tinned mackerel). She has been supplemented with omega oils all her life (she is 10 years old today)

Big Ted has a violent allergy to baths!

The setting up of the grooming table/dryer and me donning the bathing apron produces disappearing acts.

Bad news for Ted tonight. :) I think he wants to be the first ever low maintenance poodle. :)

:) :) :) :)

Brown standard poodle allergic to lamb, beef, chicken and all grains (appears to be able to tolerate the meats in very small amounts if they have been cooked) fleas. She is treated with diet ( fish based dry food, turkey necks and tinned mackerel). She has been supplemented with omega oils all her life (she is 10 years old today)

What dry food is she on that is fish based with no grains?

Omg how much time do you have? I'll post a full list when I get home tonight. In short - every weed, grass and tree pollen there is as well as every insect/bug/creepy crawly known to man.

Also huge list dietary intolerances - these arent called allergies as such.

The setting up of the grooming table/dryer and me donning the bathing apron produces disappearing acts.

Bad news for Ted tonight. :) I think he wants to be the first ever low maintenance poodle. :)

You shouldn't laugh Laffi - that dog's going to get me a visit from the RSPCA. You go to find him for his bath and carry this cringing quivering wreck to the laundry.

Darce on the other hand is an innocent. He watches all the grooming gear go out (the other two have made themselves scarce) watches you put the apron on and when you go to pick him up, he goes "ooh shit, it's me!!" :) I still reckon JAG dropped him on his head a few times as a pup. ;)

Edited by poodlefan

Omg how much time do you have? I'll post a full list when I get home tonight. In short - every weed, grass and tree pollen there is as well as every insect/bug/creepy crawly known to man.

Also huge list dietary intolerances - these arent called allergies as such.

Long list please :)

What food intolerances does he have? What do you feed him?

Bad news for Ted tonight. ;) I think he wants to be the first ever low maintenance poodle. :)

You shouldn't laugh Laffi - that dog's going to get me a visit from the RSPCA. You go to find him for his bath and carry this cringing quivering wreck to the laundry.

Darce on the other hand is an innocent. He watches all the grooming gear go out (the other two have made themselves scarce) watches you put the apron on and when you go to pick him up, he goes "ooh shit, it's me!!" :) I still reckon JAG dropped him on his head a few times as a pup. ;)

sorry :mad:) :) :)

Here ya go laffi. Just easier to count the things he doesn't react too. Anything 2 and above is a strong reaction. 4 is off the richter scale.

002.jpg

Immunotheraphy made him very sick. The second dose of the lowest strength vile was as far as I got - it made him terribly ill vomitting and very lethargic. That was 12 months ago and I havent been back to Murdoch. Instead Rafael has 2 claratyne a day in peak pollen season. I back it off in the cooler months.

He also has eosinophilic IBD which basically means IBD from food intolerances. He cant have beef, veal, pork, chicken, turkey or lamb. His diet consists of (and has done for the last 14 months) roo, carrot, zucchini and plain yogurt. Also gets kelp, metamucil and probiotics to keep his system in check. He does very well on this diet and I can control his IBD without steriods which is the most important thing as far as I'm concerned.

He also cant have bones, oil supplements (fish oil) or fruit (too much sugar) as it just rips straight through him.

Here you are Laffi, as taken from the lab report for my 6 year old GSD bitch.

Couch Grass, Paspalum,Orchard,Canary Grass,Johnson Grass, Dock/Sheep Sorrel, English Plantain,Oilseed Rape,Juniper/Cedar, Box Elder/Maple, Privet, Willow, Aspergillus,Alternaria, Cladosportum, Pullataria,Nigrospora, Cat hair, House dust mites, Chicken, Eggs, Milk, Turkey, Oatmeal, Braley,Tomato Pomace,Peas, Pyrethrum, Tobacco Smoke, House Fly and Malassezia. (Phew well you did ask) :laugh:

She has been on a Hyposensitization programme since 28th Sept 07 which seems to be working quiet well. She is off cortizone now, has just started to grow a little coat, she lost most of it, has more hair on her feet than I can ever remember ( chewed feet constantly) ears are a nice normal colour ( used to be bright red all the time) Hardly scratches at all.

I bath her twice a week in Malaseb and feed raw meat, brown rice, pasta, veggies. Supplement each day with Vets All Natural Health Booster and Omega Blend Oil and something I have found works wonders for her sore ears is to massage 1 drop of pure emu oil into the insides of them once a day. Her ears used to be so bad that the skin inside the ears was so dry and flakey that she would rub her head only slightly and her ears would bleed.

Downside on diet is I cant keep weight on her at all. Downside on program is I HATE giving the injections. Its a long expensive process but I think there is hope of great results.

Interestingly she always had a few allergy symptoms but since having her speyed in February 07 they exploded out of proportion.

Hope you find this of interest.

I have just found a dry food my girl can eat - Calafornia Natural Herring and Sweet Potato and she loves it.

Ptolomy where can I get this from and roughly how much?

Please tell there is no pork or another regular protein in there? My pet gripe is these novel protein formulas with regular proteins in it :laugh:

The only place you can get Calafornia Natural from is Pets Paradise. It isn't cheap $26 for a 2.5kg? bag but so far it is the only dry food I have found that she can eat that doesn't contain wheat, corn, beef or lamb. I am at work - so sorry can't check the bag for pork or other protein - but I will have another look tonight.

The only place you can get Calafornia Natural from is Pets Paradise. It isn't cheap $26 for a 2.5kg? bag but so far it is the only dry food I have found that she can eat that doesn't contain wheat, corn, beef or lamb. I am at work - so sorry can't check the bag for pork or other protein - but I will have another look tonight.

I found this online for California Natural Herring & Sweet Potato Adult

Ingredients:

Herring, Barley, Oatmeal/Rolled Oats, Herring Meal, Herring Oil, Sweet Potatoes, Sunflower Oil, Dicalcium Phosphate, Natural Flavors, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin E, Ascorbic Acid, vitamins/Minerals, Potassium Chloride, Rosemary Extract