Exessive Panting

Hi All,

I have a very healthy 15 Jack Russell who seems to pant alot. I've noticed it since the weather started to warm up. (But he is NOT drinking water excessively) Last year he underwent a major operation where he had a tumour removed and since then he has gained alittle more weight than I would like him to weigh (he's 1.5 kilos over his ideal weight). He's not getting any more or less food or exercise than before, but he has slowed down abit, but considering his age I thought that was understandable. His appetite is still very healthy, he still has his usual bursts of energy at certain times of the day, he just seems to pant more than usual. If he gets excited (someone has come over) or has had a run round the house playing with his toys he pants more and it seems to take longer for him to settle down. He doesn't pant in the evening went it's cooler and he doesn't pant when he's settled down, so am I being paranoid?

Any thoughts?

Zoom

Hi If you are worried take him for a check up at the vet.

In summer night and day when not in air conditioning we always have fans going for the dogs.

They have a huge industrial one in their run.

Mason lays in front of his fan in the house (floor type) till it is time to go to bed.

He loves his fan !

Kind regards

Malisa

When one of my dogs is panting what I think is an excessive amount for the situation I always check their pulse a few times, spread out over an hour or so and then again a few hours later, as increased respiration and heartrate (where its not appropriate, like after exercise) can be a sign that they are in pain.

It's not something I panic about, but as my two are getting older it's always something I keep in mind.

It's hard to know what's causing it at his age. 15 X 7= 105 in "dog years" :bottom:.

Only a vet who gives him a thorough exam will be able to give you some idea.

Medications can help if it is something like mild heart failure due to age or arthritis causing pain.

Depends on what you think also- if it easy to modify his life so he doesn't overexert himself and he seems comfortable most of the time, why not do that instead of medicate him?

It certainly won't hurt to get that extra weight off him- is one of the best things you can do for arthritis as well as many other health problems- less stress on his ageing body.

Maverick was an excessive panter and always really flat and tired on a hot day. You could tell he was struggling to recover after excercise.

We took him to the Chiropractor and he adjused him through the neck and back. turns out he had something a bit out that was restricting his lung capacity.

He is like a different dog now, so much energy and no more panting!

Hi All,

I have a very healthy 15 Jack Russell who seems to pant alot. I've noticed it since the weather started to warm up. (But he is NOT drinking water excessively) Last year he underwent a major operation where he had a tumour removed and since then he has gained alittle more weight than I would like him to weigh (he's 1.5 kilos over his ideal weight). He's not getting any more or less food or exercise than before, but he has slowed down abit, but considering his age I thought that was understandable. His appetite is still very healthy, he still has his usual bursts of energy at certain times of the day, he just seems to pant more than usual. If he gets excited (someone has come over) or has had a run round the house playing with his toys he pants more and it seems to take longer for him to settle down. He doesn't pant in the evening went it's cooler and he doesn't pant when he's settled down, so am I being paranoid?

Any thoughts?

Zoom

No Grovergroo, no noises, just his breathing. No wheezing, or laboured breathing.

When one of my dogs is panting what I think is an excessive amount for the situation I always check their pulse a few times, spread out over an hour or so and then again a few hours later, as increased respiration and heartrate (where its not appropriate, like after exercise) can be a sign that they are in pain.

It's not something I panic about, but as my two are getting older it's always something I keep in mind.

I know he needs to lose some weight and have adjusted his diet accordingly. Though it would be very easy to go to the Vet I am reluctant as he gets so panicky and agitated whilst there and it takes him ages to settle down after getting him home (he associates the Vet with "PAIN") and having a low grade Heart Murmur I try not to get him over-excited. I don't want to medicate him.

I experimented with testing the heart rate and it didn't seem to be beating at an accelerated pace at any one time until he'd had a run outside (which I took as normal). Like I said every other aspect of him is entirely normal, he's not off his food and not drinking more than usual, he still has full control of his bladder and bowels. I do know after a recent visit to the Vets for a bee sting that he has arthritis on both back "knees", so I might try some glucosamine. He may have some pain from the arthritis.

I worry about everything, it drives my family to distraction, but I'd rather be safe than sorry! :cheers:

Thanx again for your input.

Edited by Guest

My JRT, Wallace is 16 he also pants alot I notice if he has put on a bit of weight there is an increase. I also have an old Mini Foxie she's 17 and is not a big panter. I think the weight is the issue. My old boy is very greedy always on the hunt for treats and left overs so his weight is a harder to control. He really enjoys his food and I think it would be a shame to deny him this pleasure at his stage of life.

I know he needs to lose some weight and have adjusted his diet accordingly. Though it would be very easy to go to the Vet I am reluctant as he gets so panicky and agitated whilst there and it takes him ages to settle down after getting him home (he associates the Vet with "PAIN") and having a low grade Heart Murmur I try not to get him over-excited. I don't want to medicate him.

I experimented with testing the heart rate and it didn't seem to be beating at an accelerated pace at any one time until he'd had a run outside (which I took as normal). Like I said every other aspect of him is entirely normal, he's not off his food and not drinking more than usual, he still has full control of his bladder and bowels. I do know after a recent visit to the Vets for a bee sting that he has arthritis on both back "knees", so I might try some glucosamine. He may have some pain from the arthritis.

I worry about everything, it drives my family to distraction, but I'd rather be safe than sorry! :cheers:

Thanx again for your input.

I would be concerned about heart failure particularly with the history of a heart mumur that you describe and also if this has started since the weather has warmed up. I urge you to take him to the vet for a check up.

My JRT, Wallace is 16 he also pants alot I notice if he has put on a bit of weight there is an increase. I also have an old Mini Foxie she's 17 and is not a big panter. I think the weight is the issue. My old boy is very greedy always on the hunt for treats and left overs so his weight is a harder to control. He really enjoys his food and I think it would be a shame to deny him this pleasure at his stage of life.

I agree with you entirely. Though he's not overfed, he get's the occassional treat more often than not. I think at his age why deny him?