Anal Glands

barly

Hi Just a few thoughts on this topic would be appreciated.

I have a cavalier who started having trouble last year with his anal glands and had to be operated on. Well it's happened again amd he is at the vet as we speak waitng for an op. and the vet is thinking about taking the glands out and has warned me that once a month might have to express any build up there and might not actually fix it. All year he has been good, checked regularly. He does not cope with pain at all. So what to do?

Hi Just a few thoughts on this topic would be appreciated.

I have a cavalier who started having trouble last year with his anal glands and had to be operated on. Well it's happened again amd he is at the vet as we speak waitng for an op. and the vet is thinking about taking the glands out and has warned me that once a month might have to express any build up there and might not actually fix it. All year he has been good, checked regularly. He does not cope with pain at all. So what to do?

Can you work out why it is happening? Diet? not active enough? overweight? Do you express them everytime he is bathed?

A lady that brings her dog to be clipped off once a year has the same problem, the last two years running. She has bought the dog (farm dog, so doesnt get much attention) and as soon as I got near the dog I could smell it had open flesh..somewhere. And sure enough Anal Glands AGAIN!! Both times they had got that swollen they had ruptured and she had two massive holes either side of her anus. And I mean big and deep. Wosrt ive ever seen. And these are the only times she has had this problem? I put it down too ageing??? As far as I know not much else has changed over the years. I havent as yet found out what the vet said but last time it wasnt much, just dosed her up on Antibiotics and see ya later. IMO not enough done, is expressing the gland regually on its own enough to prevent a reoccurance??

Thanks for your imput.

Well where do I start

He excerises himself, as he has a permanent injury - doesn't last long and we don't push him.

We are very careful with his diet he's on RC and any excess weight will put pressure on his leg.

He has been checked every 6-8wks for any build up and if needed expressed by vet.

Vet told me that even with this op, abeses can still form and that needs to be fixed under a general.

Poor dog he does not tolerate pain at all and I'm worried he isn't going to cope.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...;hl=anal+glands

Sounds like the op is painful, but that doesn't mean it's not the best option- only your vet has seen your dog.

I guess you could get a second vet opinion?

You could also discuss pain relief with the vet for afterwards.

Adding fibre and bulk to the diet e.g. psyllium husks, metamucil, pumpkin can help the glands empty themselves.

Has this already been tried?

It sounds like they are just flushing them under GA. I know alot of Toys have the glands removed altogether, and that can be ok for some & disasterous for others, so it is not somethign to take lightly I spose.

Why dont you just express them yourself each week or so to keep on top of it??? I do all mine when they get bathed, being on a raw diet & all the bones they eat none have an issue, and I dont get much out of any of them even @ 2 month checks...My old girl who is 13, I get more out of, probably cause she eats a mushy diet (having no teeth) and hardly excercises

Hi,

First off, I would NOT express anal glands routinely unless it was needed, and if it IS needed, there is an underlying cause. (lack of fiber in diet, lack of exercise, infection etc)

If your dog has only had his fill twice, I would be doing a change in diet,/exercise before I would consider anything as radical as removal. This is not a vet's favorite surgery, and often leads to permanent damage-incontinence, infections, etc.

If they ARE infected, and not just full, then a good cleaning and a course of antibiotics IS a good idea. Try to avoid the surgery as long as you can. I am sure your vet is recommending the cleaning, not removal, as earlier stated. If they are removed, there is nothing to "stay on top of" as also earlier stated.

It is easy to learn to do, but I would suggest doing it outdoors if at all possible and make sure you are ready to at least rinse the area afterwards. This is a smell that loves to linger! (do it with the dog in the tub, if you must do it indoors)

Well we have decided to have him put to sleep. Not a easy decision. Spoke to our vet and weighed up the positives and negatives. Alot of negs. All the things that can be added ie fibre, expressing, antibiotics would not help in the long run only prolong the end. I know this is a bit harsh but he would be in pain. So it came down to him and what the after effects would have on him long term. It is very painful and we didn't think it was fair to have him like this for the rest of his life.

Thanks for all your information, sorry it didn't end on a happier note. :champagne:

Edited by barly

I'm sorry cavandra if this is not the decision you would of made. This was not a easy decision and was done in the best interest of the dog. I had considered rehoming but I didn't it was fair on the new owners to have to go through the heartbreak of the same thing and the expense of having the medication and op's aswell. The dog would be in pain even to express it. I don't think that would be fair on the dog to live like that. He would have no quality of life. Mind you this dog is 9 yrs old.

And my vet is VERY experienced and well known. We have been with our vet for over 16 years and I take his advice very seriously and would never consider changing.

Personally I didn't think it was fair to let him live the rest of his life in pain so I could keep him alive to make me feel better and avoiding the fact this problem will NEVER go away.

Edited by barly

barly,condolenses on the loss of you cav. I'm sure you had the dogs best intrests at heart and made a difficult desision, putting the dog before yourself. If you've been using this vet fir so long then he/she would know you and your dog/s and be in a good position to advise you accordingly.

I have to admit I was really surprised at the decision to put the dog down based only on OP's posts :D .

I agree with Cavandra that the anal glands alone are poor reason to PTS.

At that time you hadn't stated his age, though you did mention an injury that limited his ability to exercise.

9 years isn't that old- I'm thinking of my 6 1/2 year old dog that has as much energy as a pup.

This is the problem with internet advice- we don't know what else the vet knows, and can only answer on the info given, so perhaps this was what was best ....?

:cool: little one.

At that time you hadn't stated his age, though you did mention an injury that limited his ability to exercise.

When this dog was younger he shatered his elbow which required our vet to reconstruct with plates, pins etc. Enough to help him walk. It took months to get over the 5 hr op - thats how bad it was.

He couldn't exercise for longer then 10 min full on before he would be limping in pain and exhausted. So for him to have these op's he was in alot of pain and for me that cruel to let him live like that.

I don't regret this decision at all. It is very sad but now his is not in any pain or discomfort. :laugh:

Edited by barly