Wont Walk Anymore

Louie

What advice did the breeder give about diet & exercise???

The rate your going your pup will associate the lead with unhappy outings & you will end up with a dog that for many years to come will not enjoy walking .

Your pup is only 3.5 months old & your expecting way too much on its little body & if its fat & been over exercised be prepared for vet bills but remember the pup pays the ultimate price

How old is Orson now? Is he sound?

Orson is 2 and a half years old and yes, he's sound. Im saying 30 mins as an example. Minimum is 30 mins at mostly a jog. Majority of the time are more than 30 mins. It really depends on what we do on the day (some obedience training, playing tug and fetch, running around in the backyard etc etc). Sometimes hes content just snoozing. The vets says he's very healthy (perfect weight, great teeth etc) and happy. He has a good diet and exercise. There's been no problems with the neighbours now so its working for us :D

No worries KW. I was just going to say that a sound young Cocker could be on the go all day if he was fit. They were bred to do a days work in the field and most of the ones I know will walk your legs off.

You could put an Endurance Title on one if you trained for it.

Edited by poodlefan

No worries KW. I was just going to say that a sound young Cocker could be on the go all day if he was fit. They were bred to do a days work in the field and most of the ones I know will walk your legs off.

You could put an Endurance Title on one if you trained for it.

No probs :)

When I finish my uni degree (hopefully end of next year *fingers crossed*) and have 1 full time job instead of 2 casual jobs..............:mad

:laugh: Sorry for the hijack :(

the vet said to keep feeding the amount that i am but just do give him any more until he grows into him self which he has but only after we started walking him this morning i had him ready for his walk and waited for him to pee and went on the walk and he was fine the best walk we have had all week he isnt over weight anymore and the vet said with the walking as long as its not running and on as much grass as we can 1 k is fine if he is fine with that and not panting and if he is getting behind in the walk with the vacc he had his c5 at 12 weeks and he just has to have a booster for kennel cough next week thanks for all your thoughts on this matter ps the other thing that the vet said to remember is that smaller breed dogs do mature a lot faster than large breed dogs and that the last place she would take him is the beach because that could do more damage to his joints .

I'm not doubting your good intentions, but I strongly disagree with the vet if that's what they said.

Was this vet recommended to you? What does your breeder say about the walking? Weight?

Yes, smaller breeds might mature faster, as in 6+ months, not 15 weeks!

Can't you simply take dog for short walk, come back, give him chew toy and go for another longer walk yourself?

I have a large breed dog and take him home after only a short walk, then go back out with the smaller, older dog. I don't see why you'd risk creating joint problems by ignoring advice common to most breeders.

As for the food- What does common sense tell you? Sure the dog is growing, but it is a small dog, so growth is in small amounts also.

Pups are best kept lean, not even a little overweight. One of highest risk factors for joint problems is overweight.

I hope he's OK.