Anyone Had A Dog With A Broken Tail ?

That would be good news! He should come good in a couple of days then!

I always thought limber tail/cold water tail affected the entire tail and not just part of it, so I've learned something new here! Never too old too learn, are we? :(

From looking very sad yesterday , with a limp tail, this arvo he's holding it up when he sees a bird. It is not fully functional as it takes something very exciting ( like hunting to get it extended.

Scared the crap out of me, as I've never seen anything like it.

Was an interesting learning experience and a crash course for me too :D :rolleyes:

One of mine had it about a month ago after a bath. It was terrifying and we had no idea what had caused it. Normally her tail is like a windmill when she's excited and it just wouldn't/couldn't move.

Apparenhtly if anti-inflammatories are given at the onset recovery is a lot quicker. We didn't do that initially as we didn't know what it was but she was fully recovered after about 2 weeks with no medication, just rest.

I started anit-imflamatories within a couple of hours. I don;t know if they have really helped or if it's just getting better on it's own, but there was a huge change over night and by this evening he could use it. It is still taking something quite exciting to get him to point and straighten it but it is much improved.

It frightened the hell out of me too, with only a couple of weeks until we start showig again.

Poodle Mum, there's a link to it a little further back.

I've had "cold tail" here once with one of my labs. I absolutely freaked out, thinking her tail was broken.

Best description I could give was it reminded me of a lambs tail.....it stuck out about 10 cm like normal and then the end just hung there, dangling straight down to the ground.

I took her to the vets convinced it was broken.....but after a few days all was back to normal. Phew !!

When it happened I was convinced that I needed to rush of to the vet and xray. I called the vet and he said he'd xray the next day if no improvement. Glad I waited as he didn't need it.

I can see how people would think it's broken, it's a strange thing and frightening

My Dalmatian girl damaged her tail at a point up near her pelvis (actually above her 'tail'). She did it twice while playing, leaving her with a limp 'dead' tail after each episode. The second time we x-rayed and there was a small fracture. Because of where it was the only thing we could to was give her anti-inflammatories and let it heal on its own (and limit the over exuberant play <sigh>). She has a little thumb print there now and afterwards found it a bit more difficult to jump up on or over things (no more agility - she was pretty much retired from that by then anyway though). She is almost 13 years old now and it has not affected her mobility too much overall. She can still climb up on the couch just fine, though the bed is just a little high for her now :rofl:.

Edited by espinay2