Mackeral Shortage

Is anyone else having difficulties buying tins of mackeral for their dog?

I have been to two Safeways and one Coles and none of them had any mackeral, just an empty spot where the mackeral should be! They had the mackeral in tomato sauce, but I get the one in natural oil. Is everyone buying them up in bulk for their dogs or something and leaving none on the shelves?

I ended up having to buy fresh fish from the fish butcher and paid a lot more for it than I do for the mackeral (and I bought the cheapest fish fillet at $8.99 a kilo). I was going to cook it for Jyra because she won't eat raw fish, but I thought I'd give it a go and see if she'd eat it raw this time. Lo and behold, she ate the whole thing raw!!! Wow!!

I haven't been able to buy pet mince from the butchers for a couple of weeks. Something to do with christmas and the chicken places not supplying chicken frames. So maybe over BARF feeders are having the same issue and buying up mackerals!

PJ are you buying the HomeBrand?? My guys love that stuff too yet I'm having trouble getting it as well. According to the supermarket guy the supply of generics is erractic - Black and Gold can be just as hard to get your hands on (the cat eats balck and gold tuns :laugh: ) Sometimes they don't have stock for weeks.

So the only solution I've found is to buy them in bulk, as many as you can afford when you see them - not when you need them - and stack the cupboard up.

Having said that, I find the sardines are easier to get - would your girl eat those instead for the moment??

Cheers,

Westiemum :rolleyes:

Westiemum, Yes, I do buy the homebrand mackeral. I also buy the sardines. Jyra usually gets mackeral in the morning and sardines in the afternoon. Usually homebrand is the only mackeral that safeway stocks at all, but coles sometimes has the brand 'Seawall' mackeral, but they didn't even have that the other day.

I usually buy six tins at a time, maybe I should empty the shelf next time! That seems to be what everyone else is doing!

I must be so boring. My guys only get sardines mixed in with their normal food once or maybe twice a week. Is mackeral better than sardines? I never even thought to give them other fish. :laugh: Does this make me a bad mummy? :rolleyes:

Nope! I just give mackerals or sardines to my guys once or twice a week for variety and cost reasons!! The mackeral cans are really cheap!!'

Cheers,

Westiemum :laugh:

I must be so boring. My guys only get sardines mixed in with their normal food once or maybe twice a week. Is mackeral better than sardines? I never even thought to give them other fish. :laugh: Does this make me a bad mummy? :rolleyes:

The 'Seawall' brand has been deleted at the Coles store I work at, I'm not sure if it's deleted at all Coles stores. It was on clearance for $1.99 for a couple of weeks.

My evil puppy raided the bin last night and had a lovely time with one of the sardine tins! Sardine oil all over the place, nice!

:laugh: YUK! Lucky she didn't cut her tongue though!

Edited cause I'm dyslexic and cant spell either..lol.

Edited by pomquest

I was buying the Seawall brand of large cans of Mackeral for years, suddenly about 2 months ago they dissappeared from the shelf in BiLo, never seen them again! They were dirt cheap, and chokka block full of fish, I am now on the homebrand Sardines which a 69c a small tin..........Not as economical even at this price.

Canned Salmon can have nasty bacteria for a dog (cant remember what it is) so I rarely feed that & Tuna same as Salmon hasnt got the oiliness of mackeral & Sardines.