Skin Condition On A Hairy Dog

There are some that show clipped of powder puffs but apperantly it is easy to tell as there is a differenece in the way there molars sit or something similiar.

We did ask a breeder who showed us the mouth of both varieties so we could see the difference as friends who are toy judges informed us of how to tell but seeing it was very interesting

Yes settrlv the biggest difference with a HL and a PP is the teeth. The hl have very little teeth the PP's have a sissor mouth with a full mouth of teeth. You can not hide that, and my man does have the BEST set of teeth around.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Wendy, I saw that wylie mentioned my name a page or so back in relation to diets.

Honestly, we don't feed our dogs anything special (supermarket stuff, Chunkers and chicken necks) and Blaze doesn't have a skin condition. Minka has an atopic allergic reaction to grass, but I believe that's an inherited condition (correct me if I'm wrong). We don't have a grassed yard at the moment (pavers, with garden edging) so she's not having much of a problem with it at the moment.

I feel sorry for both you and Andy... it must be so hard keeping on top of a nasty skin condition with a coat like that!

Lillysmum, I don't think Top Pets sell puppies and kittens but they do sell fish, birds and maybe mice/rats.

I'd rather go there than anywhere else.

The Horse and Hound place you mentioned is Garrad's Horse and Hound, in Winellie. Don't remember which street, but across the road from the Liqourland/Wine Cellar place. Unfortunatley it's mostly horse and not so much hound stuff.

Good luck Wendy and Andy!

Hi Wendy, I saw that wylie mentioned my name a page or so back in relation to diets.

Honestly, we don't feed our dogs anything special (supermarket stuff, Chunkers and chicken necks) and Blaze doesn't have a skin condition. Minka has an atopic allergic reaction to grass, but I believe that's an inherited condition (correct me if I'm wrong). We don't have a grassed yard at the moment (pavers, with garden edging) so she's not having much of a problem with it at the moment.

I feel sorry for both you and Andy... it must be so hard keeping on top of a nasty skin condition with a coat like that!

Lillysmum, I don't think Top Pets sell puppies and kittens but they do sell fish, birds and maybe mice/rats.

I'd rather go there than anywhere else.

The Horse and Hound place you mentioned is Garrad's Horse and Hound, in Winellie. Don't remember which street, but across the road from the Liqourland/Wine Cellar place. Unfortunatley it's mostly horse and not so much hound stuff.

Good luck Wendy and Andy!

:( Thanks Pappylove. Yes it is hard to keep the little man looking good. I don't mind clipping him off, but I really reckon that his hair is protecting most of his body. I can't give him chicken, as he ends up with the s***s. LOL. He may be alergic to grasses, but I have yet to find a vet that will even think of it! There is also a good animal feed store at Coolalinga. I just wish somenone would let me know really what I can do to help him. He is getting most un well. Have emailed this Robert McDowell, hopefully he might be able to give me some help.

Sorry, but I am sure I have seen Top Pets with both puppies and kittens for sale. :(

Nope - Top Pets on Bagot Rd DON'T sell pups or kittens - they DO sell fishies and birdies though. They're the only pet store I go to, just to check out the toys and collars/leads etc, and I go in there at least once a month.

They only sell Science Diet and Euk though. But I'm pretty sure they will do orders for other food if requested. I've mentioned to them multiple times the reason I go there is precisely because they don't sell pups and kittens, and they have said they have no plans to.

Wendy, I reckon you should give the aloe vera gel and/or the apple cider vinegar a go. You've got nothing to lose, and they won't have side effects like the drugs have. Hopefully it won't take too long to take effect. Good luck.

Hi Wendy... I am really sorry for you and Andy... I hope that you can ease his skin... just remember not to just give up...

make sure you check the ingredients on the bag of kibble you feed... many may not use chicken but still use poultry bi-products... this can be just as harmful... My dog is allergic to chicken and in small amounts, his only reaction is skin pustules... if this is not caught quickly, it turns into infection and spreads and is very difficult to treat without antibiotics. if he has chicken in large amounts, it goes right through him and again, shows up on the skin as well.

You say you don't have fleas on your dog? fair enough however he *could* have a flea allergy - all it takes is one bite from one flea and a scratch and an infection can spread...

If you think there is something biting him, what do you think it is? if it is an insect of some sort i would be attempting to isolate your dog, or get rid of the insect... try some antihistamine tablets...

if you are worried about the pred, get him on milk thistle tablets...

Wendy did you get a reply from Robert yet?

He's the best herbalist IMO in this country. If he can't help, it's likely nobody can.

I can also recommend Dr Stephen Cutter from the Ark Animal Hospital - we use him and he's very good. Thorough, patient, detailed, listens attentively, makes good suggestions, and above all else, loves animals dearly. His practice also runs the animal rescue PAWS...which I think is sorely needed in Darwin.

Keep us posted, eh? Poor Andy...I feel so bad for the little man. :laugh:

• 4 weeks later...
Wendy did you get a reply from Robert yet?

He's the best herbalist IMO in this country. If he can't help, it's likely nobody can.

I can also recommend Dr Stephen Cutter from the Ark Animal Hospital - we use him and he's very good. Thorough, patient, detailed, listens attentively, makes good suggestions, and above all else, loves animals dearly. His practice also runs the animal rescue PAWS...which I think is sorely needed in Darwin.

Keep us posted, eh? Poor Andy...I feel so bad for the little man. :D

Hi ya Lillysmum, I did get a reply from Robert. What he said made sense, basically that our human dogs eat too much of processed foods so get a toxin build up in their skin that smells nice and insects bite it and it becomes a sore. I have now changed his diet. He is on only raw meat, raw veges and bones, (YUK)! I am a vege, and do so hate the smell on dead meat on him. He is also now on the de-tox herbal treatment that Robert recomended. Been a week, he seems happy with his diet, no longer looking constantly for extras, (although have to be honest, he still expects to share some of my tucker). LOL. I will keep Stephen's name, and try for him next time. I do so miss my vet in Qld who would move heaven and earth to find out about a new breed and happily do a course to find out more about it. On the side, I was the first person to present him with a French Bulldog. He had been practising for 20 years, never seen one, within 6 months, he knew all that he could. He was wonderful.

Hi Wendy... I am really sorry for you and Andy... I hope that you can ease his skin... just remember not to just give up...

make sure you check the ingredients on the bag of kibble you feed... many may not use chicken but still use poultry bi-products... this can be just as harmful... My dog is allergic to chicken and in small amounts, his only reaction is skin pustules... if this is not caught quickly, it turns into infection and spreads and is very difficult to treat without antibiotics. if he has chicken in large amounts, it goes right through him and again, shows up on the skin as well.

You say you don't have fleas on your dog? fair enough however he *could* have a flea allergy - all it takes is one bite from one flea and a scratch and an infection can spread...

If you think there is something biting him, what do you think it is? if it is an insect of some sort i would be attempting to isolate your dog, or get rid of the insect... try some antihistamine tablets...

I have to agree with you SparkyTansy, he is really sensitive to chicken. Really cannot tollerate it in any form. I am convinced it is because they are so full of steriods and growth hormones now. Seriously, he does not have fleas, and there are no fleas in our yard. I think he is being bitten by midges. We do have a lot of them around here. They don't stick, they just bite and go away. Sorry, cant isolate him or get rid of the insect, but now have him on Robert McDowell's de-tox treatment and raw meat, veg and bones. (YUK)! I hate the smell of dead meat on him, (I am a veg), he seems much happier with it, quite likes the herbs, and (Whoops) put on weight, in a week, have now cut him down, he seems more relaxed with his food, so have fingers crossed. Suppose to take about 4 months, I am just gunna do it. Week one, not much change on the skin, but a good change on his attitude to food. :D

I have to agree with you SparkyTansy, he is really sensitive to chicken. Really cannot tollerate it in any form. I am convinced it is because they are so full of steriods and growth hormones now. Seriously, he does not have fleas, and there are no fleas in our yard. I think he is being bitten by midges. We do have a lot of them around here. They don't stick, they just bite and go away. Sorry, cant isolate him or get rid of the insect, but now have him on Robert McDowell's de-tox treatment and raw meat, veg and bones. (YUK)! I hate the smell of dead meat on him, (I am a veg), he seems much happier with it, quite likes the herbs, and (Whoops) put on weight, in a week, have now cut him down, he seems more relaxed with his food, so have fingers crossed. Suppose to take about 4 months, I am just gunna do it. Week one, not much change on the skin, but a good change on his attitude to food. :D

I would like to say to the person who told me to get another brush and some evening primrose oil spray for the man, I have done so, and do so thank them for their advice. The brush is most excellant. :p

Hi Wendy,

Has your vet actually diagnosed it as staph under a microscope? Could also be yeast? Or fungal?

Also, the dermatologists recommend that the course of antibiotics needed to completely deal with a skin infection needs to be done at the high dose and done for atleast 3-4 weeks continously. 7-10 days just isn't enough these days.

Something has occurred to break the natural skin barriers and let the bad bacteria multiply and take over. Pyohex shampoo is great for treating staph infections and malaseb is for yeast.

Sounds like you need a long strong dose of antibiotics to deal with the infection. It is possible that it hasn't resolved from the first time and just keeps recurring.

ETA: Orbit suffers from itchy skin which sees him with constant staph and yeast infections from his scratching damaging his skin barriers, and thus makes his itchings worse. After the recent seminar with the dermatologists, we've started him on a higher dose and his skin has never looked better with not a pustule in sight...

Edited by stormie

Hi Wendy,

Has your vet actually diagnosed it as staph under a microscope? Could also be yeast? Or fungal?

Also, the dermatologists recommend that the course of antibiotics needed to completely deal with a skin infection needs to be done at the high dose and done for atleast 3-4 weeks continously. 7-10 days just isn't enough these days.

Something has occurred to break the natural skin barriers and let the bad bacteria multiply and take over. Pyohex shampoo is great for treating staph infections and malaseb is for yeast.

Sounds like you need a long strong dose of antibiotics to deal with the infection. It is possible that it hasn't resolved from the first time and just keeps recurring.

ETA: Orbit suffers from itchy skin which sees him with constant staph and yeast infections from his scratching damaging his skin barriers, and thus makes his itchings worse. After the recent seminar with the dermatologists, we've started him on a higher dose and his skin has never looked better with not a pustule in sight...

Thanks Stormy, he has been on antibiotics for as long as 6 weeks, it clears it up, but within about 3 weeks back again. I can almost tell you when it started, it may have been because of stress, when I wasn't around, and he let himself get down. I had placed him with a friend for 2 weeks, and didn't tell him I would be back, since then, when I have placed him I have always told him I was coming back. He actually greets me, the first time, he would not talk to me at all. Anyway, am trying the de-tox and the natural diet, will see what happens. I am so over the shampoos, they all seem to damage his coat, and not do much else. :D

I have now changed his diet. He is on only raw meat, raw veges and bones,

Glad to hear that. :confused:

I can't stress more to people how important a raw meat diet is to their dog's well-being.

he seems much happier with it, quite likes the herbs, and (Whoops) put on weight, in a week, have now cut him down,

Yep - just goes to show how much goodness they get from a natural diet. :confused:

I'm sure your little fellow will be feeling much better soon.

I have to agree with you SparkyTansy, he is really sensitive to chicken. Really cannot tollerate it in any form. I am convinced it is because they are so full of steriods and growth hormones now.

I was talking to an experienced vet whose opinion I value....only last week...about skin allergies in dogs. She said the same thing about chicken not being good for such dogs, because of the the additives which promote rapid growth.