Behaviour Problem Or Personality Trait?

neatz

I recently purchased a puppy at 14 weeks old who had been returned to her breeder from a person who had changed her mind about owning her. She is a Vizsla and the previous owner had kept her in a tiny courtyard during the day whilst she was at work. Within a week of her purchase she went for a two week holiday and had a pet sitter check on her and walk her, so she spent most of her time alone.

The problem: I'm not sure if this is a behavioural problem or if it just a personality trait but sometimes as an example I will let her on my bed and instead of picking a spot near me she will go to the furthest corner away from me and if I call he over for a cuddle she gives me a look as if to say 'get stuffed'.

Has anyone else experienced this also?

She is nearly six months now and she is very affectionate and loves people but sometimes she gets this look on her face and in all my years of owning dogs this is the first time I have had a dog behave like this. I have had pack order issues with her also where she has tried to dominate me and she is also very head strong. I'm not sure if this is her trying to be pack leader or if she has just learned to be independent due to her start in life.

:rofl:

Have you discussed this with the breeder??

Some dogs are very independant & like to view you but not be touchy/feely but i would also consider her start to life to have played some part in it.

Be patient,dont push her .

Interesting, didn't look at it from that angle. It's funny cos she is so wiggly and happy most of the time but when she is aloof she is not touchy/feely at all and if I try and snuggle up to her she will often turn her head away. From now on I will regard this behaviour as "me time' and give her some space.

Thanks for your input.

she gives me a look as if to say 'get stuffed'.

Has anyone else experienced this also?

She is nearly six months now and she is very affectionate and loves people but sometimes she gets this look on her face and in all my years of owning dogs this is the first time I have had a dog behave like this. I have had pack order issues with her also where she has tried to dominate me and she is also very head strong. I'm not sure if this is her trying to be pack leader or if she has just learned to be independent due to her start in life.

:rofl:

Hey neatz. My Bella used to do this occassionally, it is a form of emotional blackmail :eek: . It sounds like a leadership issue with you following her particularly as she is also dominating you at times. Vizslas are very similar to my gsps and the can get headstrong. I don't let my dogs on the bed or the couch and I practice the NILIF (nothing in life is free) program (google search it). Once you figure out how to be the leader rather than the follower your Vizsla will stop trying to dominate you.

Leaders are higher than followers, they eat first, they go through doors first etc etc.

I suggest you do some reading or take her to training and find out how to be a good pack leader.

Good luck :D

Thanks for advice. I came home from work today and was a bit of a tyrant to the poor girl. It was on her bed as soon as she even thought about playing up. I also made sure of making her do something as soon as I have asked for it. I will be over-dominating until I get total control and affection etc can come second to respect as pack leader. I think I have been too soft on the girl due to losing my beloved pet Sherry of ten years a few months ago and I have probably been a bit clingy with her rather than putting my foot down.

Interesting to hear that a GSP has displayed this characteristic though. Wonder if this is a gundog thing?

Excellent work :) Tyrants are popular with dogs..

It is hard not to coddle your dogs. I would much rather cuddle than boss around but dogs need this.

I don't know if this is a gundog thing or a pointer thing. Bruno is not headstrong like bella so it might by pointer bitches only. :)

Being bella's owner is a constant battle because she is headstrong and very intelligent so she can think up lots of ways to train me ;) . She used to have me trained to pet her when she looked despondent :)

Have fun being a tyrant

I will be over-dominating until I get total control and affection

I dont agree with that.respect is earnt by both.If your girl isnt the affectionate kind you can not make her or break her .

Total control is about you being the leader,you dont need to dominate just use simple methods to get good old fashioned respect.

Some people try to dominate there pups to the point they break there spirit ,respect & trust in there owner.

I will be over-dominating until I get total control and affection

I dont agree with that.respect is earnt by both.If your girl isnt the affectionate kind you can not make her or break her .

Total control is about you being the leader,you dont need to dominate just use simple methods to get good old fashioned respect.

Some people try to dominate there pups to the point they break there spirit ,respect & trust in there owner.

This was a joke settlvr as OP was not setting boundaries before and has decided to do so now. So we were talking about relative tyrany. :)

Interesting - I took my GSD to Steve (K9) and one of my comments was that she seemed totally disinterested in us.

And surprise, surprise <where's the drum roll icon> Steve explained that as far as she was concerned, she was definitely top dog.

We have baby gates to restrict the dogs to the tiled areas of the house. Jatz would jump over and come upstairs to visit. Here I though she was missing us, but she was probably wanted to see what the lower ranked pack members were up to without her supervision. :)

thanks bellasperson, you read me right! Settrlvr I would never try to break my dogs spirit, after all this is what I love about her. She is the most endearing little bugger (have you ever seen a Hungarian Vizsla wag its tail? They practically fold themselves in half) , apart from the aloof bit of course. :)

Interesting - I took my GSD to Steve (K9) and one of my comments was that she seemed totally disinterested in us.

And surprise, surprise <where's the drum roll icon> Steve explained that as far as she was concerned, she was definitely top dog.

We have baby gates to restrict the dogs to the tiled areas of the house. Jatz would jump over and come upstairs to visit. Here I though she was missing us, but she was probably wanted to see what the lower ranked pack members were up to without her supervision. ;)

Steve told me the same about Bella when she used to sulk in the backyard and the only way I could get her attention was to go out to her and pat her. He rightly pointed out that she was treating me like a follower. Much easier to figure out dogs when you know how to be a packleader..

That's OK neatz. I understood what you meant by being a tyrant :)

We have baby gates to restrict the dogs to the tiled areas of the house. Jatz would jump over and come upstairs to visit. Here I though she was missing us, but she was probably wanted to see what the lower ranked pack members were up to without her supervision. :)

Scarlet is excellent when training and when we go outside she is totally under my control, never ventures far away, comes when called (she is nearly six months old now) but this aloofness only happens when she is settled in a spot either on my bed (yes I know, I know) or on the floor and is about to go to sleep. Sometimes I have gone in to kiss her on the head (yes I know bottom dwellers kiss/lick pack leaders on the face) and just as I'm about to, she turns her head away! Yet at other times she will lick 5 layers of skin off my face if given the chance.

Has your dogs lack of interest changed Kamuzz? If so what do you think has helped you the most?