Limping Staffy

qld_harry

We have owned a 3-year old female staffy (Missy) for one year, and I walk her twice a day - each walk being about 3.5 Kms long. She first developed a limp 4 months back on her front right leg and the vet put her on a course of Metacam with no walking for 2 weeks. At the time I used to throw a tennis ball for Missy when she was on an off-leash section of the walk but gave this up after she started to limp again after I started walking her again. She has been good until the last week when she developed the limp again in the same leg. I took her back to the vet and she is now having another 2-week spell from walking and was put on Metacam for 3 days. The vet checked her out pretty thoroughly and said she doesn't have any foreign objects in her paw nor does she have evidence of any bruising or broken bones, but I did not get her x-rayed. The vet believes it is soft tissue damage in her shoulder region, and I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience like this with their dogs and if they have tried alternate therapies to overcome this problem. My neighbour is blind and has a guide dog. He suggests that I get a second opinion from the vet he takes his dog to, but my vet seems genuine and I have o problem with her.

Any advice would be appreciated.

We have owned a 3-year old female staffy (Missy) for one year, and I walk her twice a day - each walk being about 3.5 Kms long. She first developed a limp 4 months back on her front right leg and the vet put her on a course of Metacam with no walking for 2 weeks. At the time I used to throw a tennis ball for Missy when she was on an off-leash section of the walk but gave this up after she started to limp again after I started walking her again. She has been good until the last week when she developed the limp again in the same leg. I took her back to the vet and she is now having another 2-week spell from walking and was put on Metacam for 3 days. The vet checked her out pretty thoroughly and said she doesn't have any foreign objects in her paw nor does she have evidence of any bruising or broken bones, but I did not get her x-rayed. The vet believes it is soft tissue damage in her shoulder region, and I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience like this with their dogs and if they have tried alternate therapies to overcome this problem. My neighbour is blind and has a guide dog. He suggests that I get a second opinion from the vet he takes his dog to, but my vet seems genuine and I have o problem with her.

The vet say's no walking and your throwing balls to it? Maybe try not doing that next time. :)

I know xrays can be expensive but I would be asking for one... Due to the fact that previous treatment has not cleared the issue.

When your vet says rest, she must rest - I know how hard it is to keep a stafford still, even if you have to crate her or keep her on leash in the house. She should not be allowed to even jump up and down off the lounge or beds (I know not everyone allows them to do this but I am just assuming because we do)...

Is she carrying any extra weight? If so, I would get that off her as soon as possible because extra weight could cause more problems as she bears weight on an already sore limb.

Have you tried massage - our boy gets a bit sore from time to time when he jumps off the lounge the wrong way or when he is trying to wrestle with the boys(he is nearly 11, so much older than your girl). You could also try heat or ice packs, depending on what the vet suggests is best.

I would still be requesting an xray just to rule out anything in her bones...

Best of luck and let us know how you get on

Cheers

Jodie

Have the dog xrayed. I'm surprised your vet didn't suggest this. If it was my dog with a recurrent problem in the same area I would insist on xrays. Without them the vet is only making an educated guess. That's why the problem keeps recurring. The metacam is masking the pain but the cause of the problem is not known nor is it being treated.

I don't wish to alarm you but my son's dog who started to limp on her front leg was put to sleep last week. She had osteosarcoma in her shoulder. At the beginning of this the dog also had intermittent pain which was relieved with metacam. The pain then became chronic and she was xrayed. The xrays showed osteosarcoma and she was treated with pain relief until her pain could no longer be controlled.

There is no point in trying alternative therapies unless you know what you are dealing with.

Thanks for advice Jodie - you know staffies very well.

She does sleep on an old day bed outside so I will make this off limits so that she has to sleep on her regular bed which is not raised. She weighs just under 19 Kg but is carrying a little extra though you would not say she was obviously overweight. I have to walk every day to counteract the affects of rheumatoid arthritis and this the reason we bought a dog in the first place.

I will chat to the vet about x-ray costs and massage treatments and let you know how I get on.

Ps: I have not thrown the ball for about 4 months now since just after her recovery the first time. My apologies to Indica for the confusion.

Firstly get the extra weight off her. Make sure she does not jump, run or go for long walks in the two week resting period. No exercise means no exercise.

My 4 year old pug girl had a sprained elbow early last year. Vet gave her a course of Rimadyl tablets and she had a three week injection course of Procaine, one injection a week. I got the extra weight off her, had steps built, for the couch and my bed, so she did not jump off the couch and my bed and did not take her walking for two weeks. He elbow had healed itself over that time and we have not had a problem since.

Get a full work up from the vets including xrays

Angus had a limp that came and went and stiffness in the leg (there was also swelling in the hock) - he turned out to have immune mediated poly athritis which is pretty serious. This was confirmed with x-rays, blood tests and a fluid tap.

Hopefully treating him now (at 15 months) will stop it being a major issue.

My advice - keep looking until you find the cause - do not necessarily just treat the symptoms.

I'd have the dog checked out by a chiro/muscle manipulator before I did too much.

It won't hurt to xray first. At least then you'll know if you're dealing with bone problems.

Get her lean if not already. Have her looked at by a good Greyhound muscle man and have her xrayed.

Yep, yep... This is really good advice...

Best of luck

Get that weight off.

Extra weight makes any injury worse and predisposes a dog to injury.

Cut her food rations in half and see how you go. You can add things like mashed, cooked veges as filler (little calories).

On a 25kg dog, leg Xrays cost about $260 all up. He had to be put under general anaesthetic which accounted for much of the cost.

If you have no intention of doing surgery (depending what XRAYS show) the XRays will only confirm a diagnosis.

In practice, you're not much further ahead in helping your dog.

A canine chiro is a cheaper option in the short term.

I'd leave the dog at home for that second walk.

I agree with the others, get the x-rays done. Prices can vary greatly, we paid $150 for conventional x-rays and $350 for the digital ones. If things still seem inconclusive, keep looking until you find something. It took us more than 10 weeks of treatment then a 2nd opinion to find out my boy has ED... and that was after a respected chiro telling me not to proceed with x-rays because it was purely muscular.

Goodluck with it all. I hope you find something that can be easily treated. :)

The vet say's no walking and your throwing balls to it? Maybe try not doing that next time. :)

gee thats helpful

i reckon warley is spot on get her lean if she isnt already!!!

I would also agree with others in saying try the anti-inflamitory injections/ tablets route again and this time DON'T EXERCISE HER AT ALL! Sounds like you didn't give the injury time to heal.

If after 3 weeks of meds and NO EXERCISE (this mean no throwing her the ball, no walks) she hasn't improved spend the money to have the xrays done.

I would always try other things first then have to put my dog under GA unless it was totally neccesary.