Help - Puppy Scared Of Collar

Zenith

Hi All,

Would appreciate some advice in regards to my Mums new puppy who is scared of the collar. He is a 9 week old Miniature Dachshund male, and for nearly a week now we have been placing a light cat collar on him (minus the bell) for short periods of time, slowly increasing the duration each time.

Firstly we have begun some very basic training with him, come, sit, stay, toileting which he has picked up very quickly.

The first time he had the collar on he instantly became depressed and just sat there sulking despite us trying to interact with him. He ignored us and commands to begin with then he would walk over slowly when asked to come and given a food reward. When we walked around the house he would follow for a few meters then sit and sulk again or even hide behind or underneath something. He was barely interested in playing with his toys (which is unusual). After some time we took the collar off and he went back to normal instantly.

We have continued this for some days, but now he runs away if he sees you with the collar - or if you get the collar whilst you have hold of it he will try and get away. He is a little better once he has it on now though but its only a slight improvement.

So far I have been doing a few things to desensitise him to the collar. I have been playing with him then slowly moving the collar closer to him - sometimes he will run off, but he always comes back when called and after a while he will play right next to the collar or with it. I have also been doing the basic training with him with the collar nearby, and slowly moving closer to it so he has to walk near it. Once he will walk right over it I pick it up and continue giving commands and rewarding with treats with the collar in my other hand. He's a bit wary of it but thankfully the chance of a treat wins out.

Any ideas or advice as to help us overcome the problem other than what we are doing?

Cheers

Suz

Here's little Oscar

2225868350_986ec72064.jpg

Should also add we'd prefer not to leave a collar on him at all times - he has a small yard for the day and at other times he's in the laundry or loose in the house, and we don't want him to accidently choke.

I personaly wouldn't leave a collar on a dog unsupervised.

With puppies and collars and I just put them on and ignore the tantrum, they come to ignore it in time but if you make a fuss out of the situation they'll learn to play on that. if the puppy just sits there and seems depressed I personally wouldn't fall for it, I'd just leave puppy there (keeping an eye on it of course).

If puppy has decided to run away from the collar, associate it with good things but don't make a big deal out of it, I would usually hold the treat in one hand, having the collar looped over that hand and slip it on when the dog gets the treat.

:( You're not being cruel, he's just not used to wearing a collar.

mAke sure it's a good fit i.e. you can slide a couple of fingers in underneath, but is not too loose.

I worry that dogs with loose collars will get out of it when walking or hang themselves.

There's no excuse- don't leave too big collars on while they grow into it. Buy a smaller cheapie collar.

Thanks for the advice everyone - we will do just that tomorrow.

Poodle Wrangler - lol I know I'm not being cruel :(

We tend to use cat collars on the smaller ones as puppies until they get used to them, they are nice and light.

When I put the collar on my pup....I put the lead on too....and use both inside the house.....I find it is the easiest way to suppervise the pup inside the house....Have had NO weees or poos inside at all....Ouo just has to follow and just got used to it in half a day :(

My pap threw the worst tantrums and ran madly into things screaming, to the point I was sure he was going to do himself an injury :( Then he would hide and sulk for hours, literally. I timed one, and it was 6 hours, no kidding.

I found it worse to take on and off, as I was trying to leave it on for longer times etc, and ended up just biting the bullet, leaving it on and being home for a few days constantly, till he was really used to it.

Then I took of and on. I found he still sulked a little, but only for a few minutes. I never really showed him the collar, as that then gave him the option of running away or causing a drama. I called him and gave him a treat for coming, and then just put the collar on and offered another treat, and then put him down...he usually sulked a little, but them came for another small treat/toy and came good.

Now he is as good as gold.

I have a similar problem with my chi pup. I cannot get him to walk on the lead at all. He just collapses and stays there. Tried food and toys but he hates it - this is supposed to be a show dog! Does not have a problem with a collar - though I cannot find one to fit him - even the cat collar is too big - but I have let him drag a lead around and he has been fine - only when I hold the end. Help please! All my other dogs have sold their souls for food quite quickly - but this midget is tougher than all of them.

I was lucky with my first one as he was toy orientated, so squeeky became the reward, and the second one ( after the collar issue was sorted) dragged a lead, and then literally followed the other one whilst on lead together; then alone..

Have you a lead trained dog that he follows around normally?

I have come to the conclusion that these little dogs can really know their own minds! I NEVER had these issues with the many big dogs that I have had in the past!

I have a similar problem with my chi pup. I cannot get him to walk on the lead at all. He just collapses and stays there. Tried food and toys but he hates it - this is supposed to be a show dog! Does not have a problem with a collar - though I cannot find one to fit him - even the cat collar is too big - but I have let him drag a lead around and he has been fine - only when I hold the end. Help please! All my other dogs have sold their souls for food quite quickly - but this midget is tougher than all of them.

That's pretty normal behaviour for a puppy, it's the tention they don't like, so to fix this, attach a very light lead to the collar at home andjust let puppy walk around the house with, they'll step on it and feel tention and get used to it in a non-scary manner. 3 days of this usually does the trick....but only have the lead on when you're at home and you can supervise :cheer:

If puppy is still packing a tantrum after 3 days, leave it on for longer and every now and then pick up the lad and call puppy over to you and give puppy a treat.

You'll get there :laugh:

Edited by sas

Well we were making a little progress, but very slowly. However - seems it was all an act, as I took him to a show today just to socialize before the real thing and he was perfect really - just so excited to be there that he took no notice of the lead at all. Little bugger! :cheer:

With our GSD I used to give him a treat as I put the collar on and another when it was on - praising him all the while. He doesn't normally wear a collar when at home so he knows when the collar goes on then he is going in the car (which he loves).

The only problem we have now is that when I pick up his leather collar he is trying to shove his head into it even before I have it ready. He is told to heal but he heals for a second, does a loop around you and heals again, then does a loop and heals again. He knows the leather collar means he is going to work and he is very excited it. Once the collar is on then he is all business.

If I pick up the prong collar he is even more excited because that means he gets to go out for a run around ... he hasn't worked out yet that it could also mean he is going to the vet :cheer:

I agree with the others be tough, the more you pander to him the worse he is going to get, don't worry he will still love you.

You are not doing anything wrong re: collar. I think he probably testing you to see how much he can get away with,

Good luck and stay strong