Dry Sore Nose - What Could It Be?

I have a 2 year old brown Dobermann (Sodapop) and she has a dry sore nose.

She has always had a drier nose and skin on and off but two weeks ago her nose got so dry it cracked and scabbed up. Soda also sounded snuffy like she had a blocked nose. She didn't seem unwell in any other way and didn't go off her food at all. I took her to the vet and she didn't seem to think there was any sort of allergy link and said her skin was more to do with her being a brown Dobermann and therefore being more susceptible to coat problems. She thought her sore nose was a separate problem.

She put Soda on a two week course of antibiotics (there is no discharge so a foreign body has been ruled out) but suggested that if that doesn't help she will have to do some tests under GA as there are all sorts of bugs or diseases Soda may have that cause her to have such an ulcerated nose.

I will have to take Soda back to the vet in the next few days and although the problem has improved - it is still there. :thumbsup:

Has anyone had any experience with a similar problem? I would love any advice you can offer.

Sunburn is a thought but if it isn't that, could she be coming into contact with some sort of chemical or plant? This may or may not be in your environment but perhaps where you walk the dog.

I'm thinking of things like Wandering Jew which is everywhere right now - it's in my garden but it's also grownig in people's gardens and I have to ensure my dogs don't come into contact with it, easily missed!

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am hoping the vet would of picked up sunburn if it is that! She didn't even mention it as a possibility. I sound really stupid but what does it look like when a dog gets it? Hopefully it could be as simple as that.

I was thinking it was something that she could be allergic to but the vet said it didn't seem to be that. She said that allergies don't cause that kind of reaction - does that sound right? I assumed that is what it was 'cause I get hayfever and I am getting a stuffy nose now myself.

I think the vet is leaning more towards some form of disease or bug she has in her nose. She said long nose dogs are more inclined to get these kinds of things although Soda is young to be getting disease. Does this sound like the vet is being a bit overzealous?

I am confused! Do I try another opinion?

I should have also mentioned it is the inside of her nose that is also affected. The outside is dry and occasionally splitting and scabbing - but the inside of her nose was swollen and sore before the antibiotics.

Edited by monkeytrunks

my JRT pup had scabs on his nose...i think it must of been sunburn...it turned pink prior to forming into a scab...bt within a week it healed up...so yeah no need for the vet....just clean the area with just water...dont use ne shampoos or soap....and for ur dogs skin use a medicated shampoo for dry skin and only wash her when she gets dirty or smelly...i used to wash my lil fellas once every fortnight bt i realised he started gettin dry skin...so i only wash him once a month....

One of my dogs had a dry sore nose for awhile too - the thread is here with some pics http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...=105564&hl=

She was also a bit snuffy at the time, but I didn't mention it in the thread

I went with the suggestion of putting vitamin E on her nose, and it cleared up. I bought the capsules and snipped the end with scissors and rubbed the oil into her nose.