Pink Spot Has Developed On Ben's Nose

krash01

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that there was a small pink spot developing on Ben's nose. At first i thought maybe he scraped it on something, but looking closely i could see there was no blood or scab and the skin was not raised at all.

I kept a close eye on it, making sure he had sunscreen on it multiple times a day when he was outdoors, and hoping it might just go away.

A couple of days ago i realised it was getting a bit bigger and darkening slightly. I took him to my vet and he believes it may be sun related and hopefully should go away, but if it doesn't we may have to do a biopsy.

The vet gave me an antibiotic, anti-inflammatory cream to try, so im hoping that it's nothing serious.

Has anybody experienced anything like this?

IMG_4735.jpg

IMG_4739.jpg

IMG_4742.jpg

Edited by krash01

I had a BC who lost nearly all the pigment in her nose. It started out as a pink patch, then started to scab and spread.

She had a biopsy done and was diagnosed with degenerative immune disorder.

My vet put her on Macrolone tablets, plus Illium Neocort cream to rub on her nose.

It took about two years - and got worse before it got better - but eventually she regained all the black pigmentation.

BTW, another symptom of degenerative immune disorder is cracked pads, which can become quite painful.

I have, exactly the same as in your pic. It was actually from rubbing his nose against the side of a bucket every time he drank from it. The inside of some plastic buckets are actually rough enough to do that, like very fine sandpaper.

The vet also gave me a human antibacterial cream called Bactroban, which made it 20 times worse as the skin reacted badly to it and broke into an open wound. And the more Bactroban I applied to the 'infection' the worse and bigger it got. It didn't begin to heal until I stopped using it when I worked out it was the cream itself causing all the damage.

Don't ever use Bactroban on a dog is all I can advise from my experience of it. Never. Don't even think about it. Good for humans for small cuts etc, but there's just something in it which caused my dog's skin to react really badly to it like a petrol burn.

Edited by anthony mazzeri

I have, exactly the same as in your pic. It was actually from rubbing his nose against the side of a bucket every time he drank from it. The inside of some plastic buckets are actually rough enough to do that, like very fine sandpaper.

The vet also gave me a human antibacterial cream called Bactroban, which made it 20 times worse as the skin reacted badly to it and broke into an open wound. And the more Bactroban I applied to the 'infection' the worse and bigger it got. It didn't begin to heal until I stopped using it when I worked out it was the cream itself causing all the damage.

Don't ever use Bactroban on a dog is all I can advise from my experience of it. Never. Don't even think about it. Good for humans for small cuts etc, but there's just something in it which caused my dog's skin to react really badly to it like a petrol burn.

The cream my vet gave me is Illium Neocort. It seems to be getting smaller, but im not sure if it's my imagination! He is healthy other than that. Eating, toileting, playing like normal. So i'll give it some more time and if it doesn't change, back to the vet we go.

I had a BC who lost nearly all the pigment in her nose. It started out as a pink patch, then started to scab and spread.

She had a biopsy done and was diagnosed with degenerative immune disorder.

My vet put her on Macrolone tablets, plus Illium Neocort cream to rub on her nose.

It took about two years - and got worse before it got better - but eventually she regained all the black pigmentation.

BTW, another symptom of degenerative immune disorder is cracked pads, which can become quite painful.

Your poor girl!! glad she got better, Mizzi.

Ben's pads look pretty normal, but either way we'll be off to the vet if the spot doesn't go away.. :rofl:

• 3 weeks later...
Could he be still rubbing it on something, causing it not to heal?

Riley's nose was very similar a while back. I had given him a bone and he scratched his nose trying to bury it. It healed in around 2 weeks though.

That's what i thought...but he doesn't have anywhere to bury his toys or a bone as our yard is completely paved. Unless he's attempted to 'bury' a toy in the paving and scraped his nose :D

I've seen him try to do this once inside with a rawhide bone. He was 'burying' it in a tiled space between a doorway and a bookshelf.

Even if the pink spot was as a result of this normal behaviour, wouldn't it have scabbed over or bled? I find it really odd that it's never bled or scabbed....and surely it would've healed already!!

Poor Benny.. if only he could talk :rofl:

Edited by krash01

Seems like nothing that sinister. Don't hold me to this but the fact that it hasn't changed and it isn't raised, scabby or crusty would seem to point to things be ok.

Pugs will lose the pigmentation in their chops if they get a pimple or an injury. The area will usually take a few weeks to return to black.

Keep and eye on it and maybe as suggested put some vaseline on it. Could be just the way Ben is. Like how us humans get different pigmentation & freckles on our skin.