Extreme Needle Phobia

Hi Everyone,

My 9 month old Lab has a tiny bit of bone degeneration in one of her hips following trauma to that area (hit by car). To manage this, and to try and prevent it from turning into full blown arthritis, she is on Cartrophen Injections. She has a needle once a week for 4 weeks, then nothing for 3 months, and then the cycle continues. She will most probably be on this program long term :rofl:

The problem is though, she has a MASSIVE needle phobia. She is due to start her second round today and I'm dreading it. When she first gets into the vets she's an absolutle wriggle pot, all hyped up and excited. As soon as the vet starts to get to work on her, she goes even more mental. It is incredibly stressful to watch, and I know it's distressing for her.

Has anyone had/has a pooch with needle phobia that requires regular injections? How do you deal with it?

I WISH this medication came in tablet form :rolleyes:

I suspect she may have this huge fear because of the large amount of time she spent at the vets in early puppy-hood. Poor thing.

Would like any advice please :rofl:

Anni

Sophie is on cartrophen aswell.

She didn't used to have a problem with needles but she's starting to hate having them so regularily, I feel awful for her. Everytime we go in he checks her over (she has a mild inflammation in her uterus) then gives her the needle, staright away she's over baging on the door asking to go.

All I guess I could suggest would be take her to the vets a few times during the week just for a nice visit and no needles, when it is time for the needles, lots of treats and praise? Sophie doesn't even notice whats happening if your distracting her with a treat

Thanks Busterlove. I have used treats with Indy, and thought with her being a food obsessed Lab she wouldn't even know she was having a needle if she was eating treats. It didn't work, as soon as she feels the vets grab a bit of skin it's game on. Last time, we had to get one of the nurses to come in and help restrain her, she's only a small Lab and it took 3 of us to restrain her :rolleyes: Not a nice thing to see!

I'm 6 months pregnant so am thinking about asking my OH to take her tonight instead, not sure I'm up for the wrestle now that I have a big gut!

Anni

Sounds like your pup has become sensitised to the injections all right - unfortunately, it can get worse and worse if you don't do anything.

I would start by practicing at home - first with yourself asking pup to stand or sit quietly, being rewarded with a treat. Then start to gently grab a handful of skin/fur in pretense of having an injection. Then ask others to do it - familiar and unfamiliar people in different environments if possible.

If you have got the time (and a patient vet clinic) I would take your lab into the clinic as often as possible (even daily) and have the vet nurses give her some very special treats when she is standing or sitting calmly, then progress to them to gently grab a handful of skin in pretense of having an injection. It may also be very well worth while having your vet give the injection outside the vet clinic as just being in the treatment room (think of the associated smells, sights and sounds) may well stress her out.

Good luck and be patient....it can take a while to undo this sort of behaviour and you getting distressed won't help her at all....be calm and firm, knowing that you are doing it for her own good :rolleyes:

Sounds like you are just as stressed as the dog is. What would happen if you dropped the dog off with the staff and left it with them for a while?

Stop worrying. Cartrophen needles dont hurt and you are convincing yourself and the dog to keep behaving in this manner. Walk in calmly and settle her down BEFORE walking into the clinic. Get there half an hour early, trundle around the car park for a while and let her get some stress out. Get them to call you, walk her in calmly and ignore her stressing, its habitual. Nurses can give cartrophen so even getting a nurse to scratch her head hard and treat her, you talk to her and the other jabs her in 2 seconds.

Easy. We get quite a few dogs that 'hate needles' 'hate vets' 'hyperactive, aggressive, out of control' - just show them there is no place for this behaviour and they stop, even having the owner leave the room can be the way to go because they feed the dogs behaviour. Its not fear, its stress. You stress, she stresses more.

As Nekhbet suggested maybe she is playing up more because you are around. Next time have the vet take her into another room away from you have the needle.

My pug boy plays up more whilst I am around so the vet always takes him out the back to clip his nails.

Edited by puggy_puggy

My boy was on Cartrophen injections - I stopped due to his needle phobia... as i was doing them at home with the vets permission (had previous and successful experience), there was no way i could handle the tantrums that ensued after getting the needle out... i was constantly worried that the needle would snap.

sorry no solutions here just the experience of a dog with a needle phobia.

Thanks so much everyone for your input :):rofl:

The weird thing is that before my daughter was born (now almost 2yrs), I was vet nursing so came into so many dogs with similar 'needle phobias' and I handled it well, it was just one part of the job. But now it's my OWN dog, my feelings have changed so much! I am far more stressed and anxious when she flips out, than I ever was when other peoples dogs were doing the same thing in the clinic I was working in.

I completley agree with you NEKHBET, I think my stress rubs off onto her. On the outside I am very calm, but she must pick up some kind of vibe from me, animals can read us far better than we think!

I have to cancel the appointment tonight as OH is working back and there's no way in hell I'm taking my 2 year old toddler and my hyper-active Lab to the vet for a needle by myself. Luckily OH has agreed to take her to get her needles from now on, he's a much calmer person than I am.

Thanks again,

Anni

P.S SparkyTansy> The last two times Indy had her cartrophen, the needle snapped, and the time before that it bent :rofl: ! How is your dog going without the cartrophen now?

what size needle are they using? yes smaller is nicer but they can be hard to get through tougher skin hence making it a little more traumatic if she has to be manhandled and eveyone is worrying the needle will fail again.

Not sure, will enquire bout that when she's in next (tomorrow). Because the needle has either bent or snapped when she's had her injection, the vet had to try a few times....making it even more stressful. Not to mention having three of us trying to hold her. No wonder she hates it so much :)

Anni

Edited by Puppy Wuppy

Mum couldn't watch Buster be chipped, he amazes me how much he picks p on my feelings. If I'm upset and hurt or upset and angry. I act the same but I feel different. If I'm angry but upset he leaves me alone. If I'm upset and hurt he sits outside my door and whines and will come in and lick my face.

good luck with future injections.

What other medication/ supplements is your dog on?

Cartrophen comes in capsules http://www.arthritis.au.com/capps/capps_mast.htm

I'm guessing the injection's more effective, but best to ask the vet. Might have to make a trade off.

I'm guessing your dog dislikes being held down by 3 people even more than a needle.

You realise dogs probably can't be phobic at all (phobias are a human psychological issue)? Think I get what you mean, though- he hates them!

Is there a vet there that's better at giving needles?

Don't stay with your dog- I think it would make it worse.

My dog has to be injected every 3rd day due to allergies and it has been made into such a fun experience for her that when I get the immunotherapy stuff out of the fridge she comes racing into the kitchen and sits by me waiting for me to prepare the needle and inject her - she then gets a neck rub and of course a treat, a couple of hand touches while all the other dogs sit and watch and are envious of her.

The first couple of times I had to inject her were awkward and I was all fingers and thumbs and was trying to shove food into her as quick as possible and I had somebody holding her, and this wasn't very successful - but 12 months down the track the anticipation of food is very appealing, I am much better at it and after the first week I gave up on somebody holding her and we were way better off.

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Well OH knocked off work early and took her for me :rofl: Apparently she ok, a wriggle pot but he managed to restrain her well. The vet missed the first time, but quickly got it in the second time. She gave a little growl when it was actually being done and it was all over in a flash. My OH is a very calm cool collected person so I'm now quite convinced that my stress is definatley rubbing off on her. They were home within 15 mins :) I think that can be his job from now on.

In regards to Cartrophen capsules, I had no idea they came in that form. When I was working we only ever used the injections, but the clinic I was in was very small and very regional so we didn't have much of anything. I will definatley enquire about it next time, thanks for that.

Poodlewrangler, yes I'm aware they can't be phobic, it was just the word I used to describe her behaviour and the fact that she hates it :rofl: Apparently yesterday she had a different vet too, wonder if that made a difference?

Thanks again!

Anni

P.S SparkyTansy> The last two times Indy had her cartrophen, the needle snapped, and the time before that it bent ! How is your dog going without the cartrophen now?

He is doing very well on just joint guard - he gets stiff maybe once a month but he is a very active dog and his problems have not slowed him down at all. I know when he is feeling sore as he gets sooky and doesn't want to go outside to play.

There is a difference between drugs like Cartrophen/Pentosan etc and CarProfen (which is an anti inflammatory tablet)

two different things. Have a better squiz at the labels. And since the injections go on the dogs current weight its easier to grab a per ml dosage then a tablet.

Glad it went a little more smoothly Puppy Wuppy :)

If it makes you feel any better, I took Zig for his vaccinations yesterday. I'm pretty calm and take no nonsense from him, nor does my vet who is fantastic. The needle was given with no problem BUT when the vet tried to examine his mouth, Zig went beserk trying to get away. This is a show dog that is very used to having his mouth handled! Then we realised that the vet had just washed his hands with a very strong disinfectant and that's what Zig couldn't cope with - amazing OTT reaction due to the dog's strong sense of smell. I ended up handling the mouth and showing the vet - much easier all 'round :rofl: