What Training Treats

laffi

Just thought I'd mention that I did a training session using just small cubes of sweet potato and pumpkin today, and he loved it :cheer:

once he realised he would get more if he ate it quickly and kept training he was downing them quick smart, no more 'chew for 5 minutes, spit out to investigate, chew it again' :o

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thought I'd mention that I did a training session using just small cubes of sweet potato and pumpkin today, and he loved it :cool:

once he realised he would get more if he ate it quickly and kept training he was downing them quick smart, no more 'chew for 5 minutes, spit out to investigate, chew it again' :o

Awesome :cheer:

Were the pieces raw or cooked?

I tried small cubes of apples during agility training on Sun and one of my dogs went nuts for them :eek:

Will try the sweet potato and pumpkin next time!

Midge and Laffi voted:

We love:

1) raw ox heart bits (frozen)

2) raw chicken necks cut into thirds

3) cheese

4) baby carrots

5) raw sweet potatoes

6) apples

I am so happy I can use all of these in training. Makes it so much for fun and healthy!!!!!

:thumbsup::laugh::cry::thumbsup:

I never saw this thread before!!!!! Must try some of the veggies!

Ptolomy - is the pumpkin and sweet potato raw?

My guys love the all natural pet treats... and something I got from Erin on DOL once..... liver puffs or something?!?! Better than the ordinary liver?!?!?!?

Edited by leopuppy04

My guys love the all natural pet treats... and something I got from Erin on DOL once..... liver puffs or something?!?! Better than the ordinary liver?!?!?!?

I think it mentioned raw.

Jazz has her first night of "proper" training (ie: actually going to a club to do a class) tonight and I have just packed a bait bag with: diced sweet potato, diced apple, some left over steak chopped up, some eagle pack holistic select (when you feed raw they think tht stuff is fantastic! lol) and some very lightly cooked (microwaved about 1 min so not sloppy) chicken liver. Hopefully that lot will hold her attention sufficiently. I actually found for showing I can't use the super interesting stuff or she is too busy watching me and ends up crabbing, so I hope we should get good attention for heelwork with high value rewards.

I think it mentioned raw.

Jazz has her first night of "proper" training (ie: actually going to a club to do a class) tonight and I have just packed a bait bag with: diced sweet potato, diced apple, some left over steak chopped up, some eagle pack holistic select (when you feed raw they think tht stuff is fantastic! lol) and some very lightly cooked (microwaved about 1 min so not sloppy) chicken liver. Hopefully that lot will hold her attention sufficiently. I actually found for showing I can't use the super interesting stuff or she is too busy watching me and ends up crabbing, so I hope we should get good attention for heelwork with high value rewards.

it's a great idea to lightly microwave the offal! will definitely try that next time :(

good luck with your training!

it's a great idea to lightly microwave the offal! will definitely try that next time :(

Well with it being 35 degrees here today, raw chicken livers in my bait bag didn't appeal. And as it is puppy training for first time at a club I wanted high value. It worked well - made it less squisky and gross, and it was definitely high value - even lost some skin when she grabbed some! And she doesn't normally snatch.

Certainly kept her attention though - she couldn't have cared less about the dogs around us :(

it's a great idea to lightly microwave the offal! will definitely try that next time :rofl:

Well with it being 35 degrees here today, raw chicken livers in my bait bag didn't appeal. And as it is puppy training for first time at a club I wanted high value. It worked well - made it less squisky and gross, and it was definitely high value - even lost some skin when she grabbed some! And she doesn't normally snatch.

Certainly kept her attention though - she couldn't have cared less about the dogs around us :rofl:

:(:(

I will try that for our agility training this Sunday :D

I will let you know how we go :eek:

My girl will work for anything that she can catch! I am known to do training in the kitchen while cooking dinner and throwing her little bits of the various veggies that I am chopping up at the time! As long as the pieces are small enough to catch and pretty much swallow immediately she'll take anything that she's given! Now trying to get her to eat her veggie mash on the otherhand is a total nightmare!!! :laugh: