Titer Test Results

Guest Tess32

See previous response from me earlier in this thread. I too have a dog with a titre of 1<5 for distemper. There is no single only distemper vaccination and with a parvo of >80 there is no way I will do a C3.

$246 for titres :laugh:

I have just rung the Vet Path labs regarding having blood pulled by a vet and sending directly to the lab from interstate. I need to speak to the practice manager - so will let you know what I find out.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ptolomy - did you get the Titres at the usual vet or are you using a new one? I'm very curious to get Kyzer redone now after he has been out to an aboriginal community a few times to see if his Distemper levels have risen.

A different one - Ranford Vet in Canning Vale. When you book just explain that you have had titres done before and just need to have the vet nurse pull the blood.

Batching days are Friday and Tuesday, so the blood needs to be at the clinic first thing to be included in the days batching. The Vet Clinic emailed me the results.

My appointment was for 4.30 on a Thursday and they said it wouldn't make Fridays batching day and they gave me the option of dropping the blood off at Vetpath

I was told you can't titer test for kennel cough and it still has to be done yearly.As I've seen no results here for it I assume this is right?

Yep no titer test - up to you if you want to vaccinate for it yearly :laugh:

I was under the impression, and both my dogs have confirmed it to be true, that once you dog has contracted KC it ias higly unlikey for them to ever get it again (aside from when they are ill and/or elderly) so what would be the reaosn to get them vaccined against it more than once ?

I was told you can't titer test for kennel cough and it still has to be done yearly.As I've seen no results here for it I assume this is right?

Yep no titer test - up to you if you want to vaccinate for it yearly :)

I was under the impression, and both my dogs have confirmed it to be true, that once you dog has contracted KC it ias higly unlikey for them to ever get it again (aside from when they are ill and/or elderly) so what would be the reaosn to get them vaccined against it more than once ?

I thought that also, because my dog caught the Renbury KC a few years back, but this year he got it again, the strain wasn't as strong and no green snot, but the cough was still there. Not the aweful hacking though... so maybe they have a immunity against that particular strain and there would be plenty out there just like the human flu.

Yep no titer test - up to you if you want to vaccinate for it yearly :)

There are different strains from KC though, which is why vaccinated dogs get it anyway.

• 2 months later...

Well, I convinced my vet. that I wanted my dog titre tested this year after his shocking reaction to the C5 last year. It was done through IDEXX and the blood was sent to Colorado for analysis.

Results : Kaiser 6 y.o. German Shepherd :

CDV : 1:128

CPV : 1:256

They only tested for the above two results, not for hepatitis.

Those readings are different from other results in this forum.

Anyway, he is fully covered for those, thank goodness. Just a bit concerned about the hep. though.

What do you think?

aaaarghhh so confused. I spoke to my vet today about vaccinating/titre tests etc they can do the three-yearly one, and can also titre test. She said that because I am a foster carer my dogs are at high risk so should be vaccinated, which is fair enough. But when we talked about the titre testing she said that they could be tested and show that they were fine, but that their immunity could drop off at any time so if i didn't vaccinate i wouldn't know if they were immune or not at any given time after the titre test :xmaswelcome:

Same. Two different vets said the same thing. There has been several cases of parvo at one of the shelters. I wouldn't risk it especially when you could come in contact with it.

Interesting read though.

• 3 months later...

Just got Koolie's results back...

Parvo >1:80

Distemper >1:80

So no re-vacc again this year...last vacc was May '06.

Interestingly, Parvo same result as last year, and Distemper better than last year when it was >1:20.

• 1 year later...

I've just had Aja tested again. Same results as when I posted almost exactly 3 years ago :thumbsup: (post number 18 on this thread)

Dog: Aja

Breed: GWP

Vaccinations had: Annual up until Dec 2006 (C5)

Titre result: Parvo and distemper both >= 1:80

Southern Cross Vets at Woodford is now clued up on titre testing (and they do 3 year vaccs too) :laugh:

I've just had Aja tested again. Same results as when I posted almost exactly 3 years ago :laugh: (post number 18 on this thread) ...

Vaccinations had: Annual up until Dec 2006 (C5)

Titre result: Parvo and distemper both >= 1:80

That's a great result, JackieW. Saved your dog a lot of chemical insult :thumbsup: .

Not only that, but the vet said straight out, she's almost 10, I wouldn't vaccinate at her age. She also didn't recommend anything but the 3 year C3 for my younger dog, but I said I'm only vaccinating to take him to training, they want the kc and bordatella component too. Now I feel obliged to keep training for the rest of the year while clubs will accept him :D .

• 4 months later...
Guest Black Obsession

I have just had Koolie's titre test done - results as follows:

Parvo 1:20

Distemper 1:80

No vacc since May 2006

Pleased that no further vacc required yet :thumbsup:

Yay, that's great news! :thumbsup:

I'm definitely going to Titre Test from now on :)

No vacc since May 2006

Thanks Black Obsession :)

Yes, I wish I'd known about it years ago with my prior dogs. I won't ever vaccinate again (after puppy vacc's) unless titre tested first. I just hope that the vets don't increase their charges (I am lucky that my vet only charges the Vetpath fee plus a pathology handling fee - so $90) so that as more people become aware of titre testing, they won't find it too expensive to conduct. I have read that some vets are charging several hundred dollars for titre tests. I can only assume that these tests are going to local pathology labs for testing or that they include hepatitis which is sent o/seas).

Guest Black Obsession

No vacc since May 2006

Thanks Black Obsession :)

Yes, I wish I'd known about it years ago with my prior dogs. I won't ever vaccinate again (after puppy vacc's) unless titre tested first. I just hope that the vets don't increase their charges (I am lucky that my vet only charges the Vetpath fee plus a pathology handling fee - so $90) so that as more people become aware of titre testing, they won't find it too expensive to conduct. I have read that some vets are charging several hundred dollars for titre tests. I can only assume that these tests are going to local pathology labs for testing or that they include hepatitis which is sent o/seas).

I agree...you have to be careful to find a supportive vet who won't overcharge you.