Titer Test In Brisbane?

Guest Tess32

Yep...it is about revenue for some, for others they just don't know, and others...I have no idea.

I did ask a vet I went to and she seemed to think vets were genuinely worried about people not bringing their dogs in yearly for a health check. Honestly, is overvaccination really worth this to them?

My vet didn't actually know about Nobivac. So I told him about it, he spent the next week researching it and came back to tell me his thoughts.

For the vets who are refusing to tell people the truth because of money.....they should be totally ashamed and remember why they wanted to be a vet in the first place.

When Noah 'failed' his first titer test, a vet I hadn't been speaking to temporarily seemed to take over the case, and she wanted to "QUICK, give him a C3 right now as Intervet are paying for it and it's free!"....this was only 9 days after his vaccination!! I told the actual vet I'd been speaking to who owns the clinic and she was pretty pissed about it, and did

tell me she'd been told off about it.

Vets NEED to keep up with the latest research - not change everything immediately, fair enough - but no yearly vaccs is hardly some new, radical idea!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked my vet about Titer testing yesterday, she said the the Vaccinations that they have in the US are designed to last 3 years while ours in Australia are only meant to last 12 months, she said the 3 years one was much more expensive and we don't have it in Australia yet. I thought the one we use now can last 3 years or life time anyway :thumbsup:

Your vet is incorrect on ALL counts :rolleyes:

After she said that, I told her Elka was due for her vacc last September and she said if the dog is getting to the middle of its life, "they" say you can leave it longer before giving the next Vacc, so I could leave Elka a bit longer if I wanted :o

She would know then that the Vacc's last longer but is saying that they dont then?? Is there such a thing as a longer lasting 3 year Vacc from the US, or did she make this up? How dissapoining if she did.

I don't know if she's lying or just doesn't know :laugh:

I could be wrong but I think the only 'different' vaccinations are those like Nobivac, who claim to work on *puppies* at 10 weeks, even if the puppies have maternal antibodies present. The puppy shots were traditionally given at 6, 12, 16 weeks because there is no way to tell when the immunity they received from their mum fades enough to let the vaccination 'take' and that if their maternal antibodies are still present, it will interfere with the virus. So the puppy shot protocol was based on the fact that in most pups, 16 weeks was "probably" old enough.

Nobivac and the others ARE available here, however vets have to buy them in a 10 pack, so if you are the only person requesting them, and they are not telling any other clients to use them, they probably won't order them in as it's too expensive.

But when it comes to adults, they are all the same. They ALL last longer than three years. Whether you believe they last a lifetime isn't that black and white, some seem to believe it, some don't. Either way, it's a lot *safer* for the dog to assume it does, and titer test yearly so that you can have a print out of the result for any obedience clubs etc you need to prove immunity/vaccinations to. I guess it was a legal issue about not suddenly coming out and saying "oh wait, these vaccinations have always lasted more than a year" so they came out as different brands :rofl:

If I were you, I would ring her back up and ask her about Nobivac - which is one of the so called "three year" vaccines here in Australia, used by people on this forum, in Australia :rolleyes: If she still doesn't believe you, I can happily give her the numbers of a few vets who can tell her it is!

There is no such thing, as far as I know, about an "official" "longer than 3 years" vacc in the states. They are the same ones as we have here, who only state 3 years.

Tess32, thanks for your reply :mad I hope my vet is ignorant and just donsnt know yet, I will ask her about the Nobivac and see what she says, that is probably the one she was referring to as being expensive then.

I rang two vet surgeries for the the Nobivac and was told the they were not using it.

However they would get it in for me if I wished to pay to pay for the whole package. (I think they may be packed in tens) I was also informed that that one surgery was using the the Nobivac Kennel Cough. Now if its good enough to use the Nobivac for K/C why not use their other vaccine.

It all comes down to money in my eyes. People will learn more about the Nobivac and want to use it.

They will also learn more by the promotions the company will put out and the vets once again will see the dollar losses in not vaccinating yearly.

I rang two vet surgeries for the the Nobivac and was told the they were not using it.

However they would get it in for me if I wished to pay to pay for the whole package. (I think they may be packed in tens) I was also informed that that one surgery was using the the Nobivac Kennel Cough. Now if its good enough to use the Nobivac for K/C why not use their other vaccine.

It all comes down to money in my eyes. People will learn more about the Nobivac and want to use it.

They will also learn more by the promotions the company will put out and the vets once again will see the dollar losses in not vaccinating yearly.

And sometime the vets who won't provide us with the product that we require will simply lose our business to a vet who is willing to listen and learn...

Perhaps a pinned thread with vets who will provide titre testing, c3 (mine won't only c4) also 3 year vaccines would be a good idea.

Guest Tess32

My vet couldn't get it in, but he was more than happy to find me personally one who did.

Once vets start promoting a better vaccine protcol, more people will use it anyway.

Guest Tess32

And sometime the vets who won't provide us with the product that we require will simply lose our business to a vet who is willing to listen and learn...

Perhaps a pinned thread with vets who will provide titre testing, c3 (mine won't only c4) also 3 year vaccines would be a good idea.

Good idea! I'll start one :rofl:

My vet's been looking at titre testing at my request. They're happy to take the blood but I'm being quoted hundreds to put it on a plane and fly it to Perth or the US, which is just crazy. I rang Animal Options to see if they'd test blood on another vet's behalf, but no. So it looks like the best option for me is to trek down to Ormeau (from near Caboolture). I have been told however that Vetpath in WA uses Symbion lab, which is also in Brisbane, so I'm going to see if I can contact them to ask if they can set up titre testing here. There's obviously some demand for it, but not enough people seem to know about it yet - I'm the first person who has asked my vet for it.

Guest Tess32

If vets are quoting hundreds for the $22 it cost to send it to Perth, I would actually come outright and say what other vets are charging and why exactly they are charging so much extra. As I said, I got charged $60, that's it.

Great topic - I might head down to Ormeau too. I asked a vet about it a couple of months ago and he certainly knew what I was talking about and I think would have done it for me if I'd insisted - I didn't and I still haven't had her re-vaccinated - she's 7 and its a couple of months since she was 'due'. He also spoke about the need for the annual examination as being just as important as the vacc and the vacc being the best way to get people in to do this - we did chat about it being about the money for some vets too. Quite frankly I tend to think that if people are interested enough in their dog's health to investigate over-vaccination, they are likely to still get their dog examined annually! :)

Great topic - I might head down to Ormeau too. I asked a vet about it a couple of months ago and he certainly knew what I was talking about and I think would have done it for me if I'd insisted - I didn't and I still haven't had her re-vaccinated - she's 7 and its a couple of months since she was 'due'. He also spoke about the need for the annual examination as being just as important as the vacc and the vacc being the best way to get people in to do this - we did chat about it being about the money for some vets too. Quite frankly I tend to think that if people are interested enough in their dog's health to investigate over-vaccination, they are likely to still get their dog examined annually! :)

My vet said that it would cost more to do the Titre test that is would the vacc, she didn't say how much though, she also said the same as your vet about the annual checks, I thought the exactly the same, if people are not wanting to over vaccinate their dogs then I am sure they will take them for annual check ups.

I've got my dogs booked in for titre testing, yaaay. I had a response from Symbion as follows -

"With regards to you enquiry canine vaccination titres can be doneeconomically through QML Vetnostics . these samples are sent to ourlaboratory Vetpath in WA. They do parvovirus and distemper antibodies,others eg hepatitis involve sending samples to an overseas lab."

So there you go, if your vet will take the blood it might be just a matter of getting them to arrange a different lab to collect it. QML isn't my vet's usual lab.

My dogs will be getting their annual check while they're having their blood taken. The whole process is going to cost more than annual boosters, but I don't care.

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping this up because I just took my girl to Animal Options at Ormeau and was very happy with the service. The titre and a full health check cost $65 and the girls at reception were very nice. Rowan (the vet) doesn't say much but is very nice and was soo calm and relaxed with Ella, I was impressed cos Ella is very hyper most of the time but he seemed to calm her right down and she just stood there for him without much encouragement needed. Very happy with this clinic, especially seeing as all other clinics wanted to charge like $150+ for the same thing. Plus they do the titre testing on site so you get your result back the same day, I'm just waiting for their call now.

Hey Laffi,

I've been meaning to get on to this one. Might be worth giving Animal Options (Rowan Kilmartin - 55466756) a call. He is a wholistic Vet who tries to avoid medicating where possible so may not be one to immunise for the sake of it. Mind you, he isn't cheap, but I'm pretty happy in how he treats the fur kids......

Tony

Rowan is a fantastic vet :eek:

I just thought I'd let you know that Esther Horton (Acupet) and Rowan Kilmartin (Animal Options), who both encourage titre testing, and offer it, will be attending the Animal Wellness Day happening on June 22nd at the Samford Showgrounds. 10am to 4pm. They will be speaking and available to answer questions throughout the day.

• 5 weeks later...
I just thought I'd let you know that Esther Horton (Acupet) and Rowan Kilmartin (Animal Options), who both encourage titre testing, and offer it, will be attending the Animal Wellness Day happening on June 22nd at the Samford Showgrounds. 10am to 4pm. They will be speaking and available to answer questions throughout the day.

I didn't realise Esther Horton did titre testing. I just drove 50km to Animal Options to have my guys done - Acupet would have been closer! :laugh: Oh well. I have to say I was thrilled with the service I received at Animal Options - they did the test while I waited to save me having to come back all that distance.

The results are: Cleo Hepatitis 3, Parvo 4, Distemper 3 - so we decided to giver her a C3

Ziggy Hep 4, Parvo 5, Distemper 4 - so he didn't get a vacc.

They were both very brave so got ice creams when they came home.

I might use this option with Harvey when he is due as he does have high exposure to pound dogs due to being my temp tester, but I dont want him over vaccinated due to his Epilepsy ,so where is the closest clinic I am Northside Brisbane :laugh:

I didn't realise Esther Horton did titre testing. I just drove 50km to Animal Options to have my guys done - Acupet would have been closer! :laugh: Oh well. I have to say I was thrilled with the service I received at Animal Options - they did the test while I waited to save me having to come back all that distance.

The results are: Cleo Hepatitis 3, Parvo 4, Distemper 3 - so we decided to giver her a C3

Ziggy Hep 4, Parvo 5, Distemper 4 - so he didn't get a vacc.

They were both very brave so got ice creams when they came home.

Where about is Acupet...what suburb.

Are you going to check and see if the vaccination has actually improved her titre level 14 days after the vaccination?

Apparently there is a strong possibility it may not have changed and you may have paid for a vaccination that has not improved your dogs immunity level.

Guest Tess32

I'd wait a bit longer than 14 days. What will probably happen is that there will be a significant increase in the amount of antibodies because they are attacking the vaccination, and then that will subside and go back to the normal level she has when there is no perceived threat :laugh:

Even some of the vets who are doing the titer testing don't understand how they work it seems.