Hot Spot Relief

Just looking for something i can apply to a hot spot that my staffyx has developed on her head.

She gets them occasionally and they usually disappear without help, but she is having a bit of trouble with fleas so is scratching at it and it looks sore now.

I will be getting some fish oil capsules but are there any topical creams that people swear by?

Can I use olive oil or vitamin E or rosehip oil (all good for human skin)?

Thanks.

Just looking for something i can apply to a hot spot that my staffyx has developed on her head.

She gets them occasionally and they usually disappear without help, but she is having a bit of trouble with fleas so is scratching at it and it looks sore now.

I will be getting some fish oil capsules but are there any topical creams that people swear by?

Can I use olive oil or vitamin E or rosehip oil (all good for human skin)?

Thanks.

I used talcum powder on my golden's hotspot. Worked like a charm

I found this worked really really well for my Goldie - watered down betadine, weak tea in colour to clean (I use those round cotton makeup removal pads, others use cotton buds) then pad dry until paper towel comes away clean and dry and then shake a curash powder on to it. Don't worry if a heap comes out it will fall away.

Curash is zinc oxide powder and dryes out the wound.

Edit - chemist, around $5-$7 and use can use it too!

Edited by First Time Puppy Owner

Alpha Keri Oil, you only need a little on the scab, in a couple of days the scab lifts away from the skin and becomes crumbly. Available from the chemist. Everyone has their own way of treating them, you'll find heaps of good suggestions on here

In addition to the great advice already given - get the fleas under control. maybe use a Capstar to kill any on her now and get her onto a long term control if she isn't already. An Elizabethan collar will stop her scratching at it so it can heal and avoid a secondary infection.

thanks guys,

Sorry to post a common question- have read earlier hot spot threads when theyve come up but havent needed to apply anything before.

Shouldve made notes anyway- she was bound to need something one day!

I use Neotopic for my dog (who suffered from terrible hot spots in summer). It's via prescription from the vet, is like sorbolene with local anesthetic and antibiotics, I think. Isn't a natural alternative of course, but nothing else was working for my boy. It's for the worse cases probably.

I use Neotopic for my dog (who suffered from terrible hot spots in summer). It's via prescription from the vet, is like sorbolene with local anesthetic and antibiotics, I think. Isn't a natural alternative of course, but nothing else was working for my boy. It's for the worse cases probably.

One of my boys had a huge hot spot on his shoulder recently, I tried all the natural therapies first then tried Neotopic - vet told me off for the latter (it really only made it worse), poor boy ended up on ABs, steroids and diluted Malaseb shampoo used as a wipe.

But normally I would be using either Colloidal Silver, or Apple cider vinegar, or Manuka Honey (dog tends to want to lick this off so only good if in a spot he can't reach :rolleyes: )