Flea Infestation

I know there is a sticky about fleas, but I want to know about spraying and if it affects your animals? We have an absolute infestation at the moment, inside and out, apparently the infestation may be coming from under the house, which neither animal has access too, but is apparently because of all the rain/flash flooding and larvae have been washed into soil under the house, driving me crazy! We have tried things ourselves but is not working so we want to call in the "big guns". We have about a two week wait though! I know they say that your fish tank should be covered, but what about the effects on the walking/roaming animals?

I would be flea bombing the house, spraying the entire yard and under the house with Malawash, washing/spray the dog bedding with Malawash and giving the dogs a good bath with a flea wash ... and then repeating the process every week for a couple of weeks (I don't do things by halves :rofl:). It is really the only way to break the flea cycle.

Also when you vaccuum put a flea collar in the dust bag - this will also kill any that you pick up. Make sure you vaccuum thoroughly after bombing the house.

Edited by Tilly

We have bombed the house and there are less in here, we also have a dyson which we empty everytime after we vacuum. What is Malawash and where can you buy it from? I am not sure whether I want to lay out money on something that may not work, that is why I am planning on getting in the professionals, but I was wondering what harm the chemicals they use are doing to the animals?

Malawash is a concentrate flea treatment available at most pet shops - about $15 to $20.

The only problem I know with getting professionals in is the fact fleas have a continual breeding cycle. Getting them out to spray just really means they kill the ones that are there at that point. Most sprays (unless they are residual) don't kill the ones that hatch later.

Lime is good for under the house as Cavandra said. It can affect some plants if used in the rest of the yard so I prefer the Malawash made up in a large garden spray pack.

If he is crawling under the house in the confined space then having long sleave clothes and a breathing mask would be the best way - you don't really want to breath in all the dust etc and the lime while dealing with any creepy crawlies....

I don't tend to use anything when I am spraying the yard unless I am using it in a high concentration - I don't spray in windy weather and keep the spray nozzle close to the ground so it doesn't go all over me.

Edited for spelling...

Edited by Tilly

Hi... I don't think I would encourage anyone to crawl around spraying malawash in a confined area!!! It could be a health hazard...

You really need something specifically for fleas, too..with a GROWTH REGULATOR in..otherwise every so often a new hatch will happen :confused:

We had the same problem. We bombed the house countless times with bombs from the supermarket. But turned out the fleas were coming from under the house.

We got a company to come out and spray, they did the whole house, under the house and from the house to fence line.

We had to take the animals away for a few hours with us but were fine after that.