Homeopathic Vaccines

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry he just said that instead of vaccine he could do it homeopathically - I just assumed it was a shot too :)

Ok the problem I have is that my friend is my vet and I know she bought an entire bottle of C5 to do for family and friend's dogs and I didn't want him to have this one again as it caused a massive lump to form on his back and I would prefer maybe a c3 or c4 instead.

Guest Tess32

Does he need another shot? Why not just titer test to see if he's covered anyway? I would definitely not give another shot if he's had any kind of reaction, personally.

I haven't heard of any other homeopathic vaccination....

Interesting article Tess.

ETA Did not see your post FTPO. I also would not revaccinate a dog if they have already shown a reaction previously. Titre testing is a good option and prove if its necessary at all. If you think its necessary to revaccinate thereafter I would only go C3.

Edited by peigirl

Guest Tess32

Some people believe that. I see no reason to revaccinate if a titer test shows ample immunity. Once the puppy shots 'take', that's it....the body has had an immune response (seroconverted).

$200.00 is way overcharging for titer testing. My vet charges $60.00 max, I would not let vets get away with overcharging to put people off doing it :)

Once a pup has had any kind of reaction, I would never revaccinate. Adverse reactions can get worse.

Guest Tess32

If his immune system is already compromised, I would never revaccinate him again, personally. It really is just too dangerous.

He may have reacted to the vaccine brand but honestly, with three puppy shots he probably did seroconvert and he is covered for life. If I were you I would not take the risk and titer test from now on so you have some 'proof' for any obedience clubs etc.

Most savvy vets would never vaccinate an immune compromised dog.

Was the lump due to the vacc or did the vet hit muscle which can also cause a lump

I'm not sure - how would you know?!?! I mean if this helps it came up a few days later and stuck around for a week and a half to two.

The lump is quite a common reaction to vaccination. I really wouldn't be that worried about it. Maybe get your vet to give the vaccination in the rump instead of the neck. If you massage the lump it should go away more quickly. You could also get the vet to give your dog an antihistamine injection 10 minutes or so before the vaccination. I always get this done with the pugs.

Even with a different vaccine Tess - last one was the only one he reacted to, which was a c5.

Just so you know his immune system is severally compromised as he has a lot of problems with his skin - itching, scratching, biting, hot spots etc.

I would not risk it FTPO but it's your call. I know of a Shar Pei pup whose immune system responded in a similar manner to what you describing after his second vacc at 12 weeks. He is 1 year old now and has gradually began to do better but its taken 9 months of hard work by his family.

Look into titre testing elsewhere, $200 is a rip off. I can get parvo, distempter and hepatitis (hep is sent to the UK) done here in WA for $85.

One of my dogs also has a compromised immune system; he has pemphigus, akin to lupus. He was known to be vaccinated upon adoption from the pound at 10 months. I have been strongly advised by two independent vets to NEVER revaccinate. I am assured he will have adequate immunity for his entire life & his immune system does not need to be further stressed by vaccinations.

I wouldn't use anything labelled "homeopathic", for anything, ever.

You may as well use lolly water. Pseudo-science at its best.

Odette have you ever used them personally?

Nope, and don't intend to. I think "homeopathic" is a scam. Im speaking from a human medicine background, medicine or treatment labelled "homeopathic" doesn't undergo the same level of testing, scrutiny or regulation that traditional medicine does - it doesn't even need to show efficacy like traditional medicine does. I can't imagine that animal medicine would be any different.

Quite simply - I don't think it is any different to a placebo. In fact, I find the whole premise ridiculous, and think it is a waste of money (not to mention dangerous when used in place of traditional, proven medicine).

Hi Everyone

I am just hoping to find out if anyone has ever had their dog / cat vaccinate with a homeopathic vaccine over that of the common C3, 4 or 5 vaccines commonly used by vets and what their experiences have been?!?!

Thank you in advance for your sharing your experiences!

First of all there is no such thing as a homoeopathic vaccination.

Secondly, homoeopathy never works as a preventive treatment and should only be used as a remedy for symptoms actually shown. I do treat my dogs a lot with homoeopathic medicine and know for sure it works very well. If you want to treat your dog with homoeopathy, please consult a homoeopath, someone who learned it properly. Otherwise go for the traditional methods because you actually CAN harm by simply giving (wrong) homoeopathic remedies (especially in such low potencies like C3,4 or 5 since these still contain a large amount of the original substance).