Yellow 'foamy' Wee

It's a public holiday in Melbourne so can't get hold of my vet.

Just discovered on the floor a wee (very unusual, she's well house trained and didn't even ask to go out). The wee was a very bright yellow and was also somewhat foamy. There were two more little dribbles of wee under the table - and these were almost all foam.

The dog is looking sad and trembling (she's taken herself off under the coffee table).

It's a hot day down here but she's been inside with hubby and the kids with the cooling on. The haven't seen her eat anything unusual or anything.

She was perfectly fine and happy an hour ago when I got home from work (yes had to work today).

Any idea what this could be? Could it be serious? Should I try and see if taking her for a walk (it's cooled down outside now) or giving her dinner (it's almost normal dinner time) makes her better?

ETA:

Well we didn't hear her vomit - but could it be bile? There was a leaf in the middle of the biggest one, but heck, there are leaves on the floor so it might have been there anyways.

It's just she's now happy as larry playing with my daughter in the back yard and did a wee that looked normal (Hubby saw it).

As to why I have leaves on my floors... that's a long story to do with an early shedding decidious tree and a fluffy cat whose coat is a dead leaf magnet.

Is vomiting foamy bile bad? (if that is what it is)

Edited by KismetKat

well there was no strong odour, but we were all in the family room together and didn't hear any 'jhacking up' - thus jumping first to the conculsion it was wee.

can dogs do silent vomits?

she's now sitting in her 'waiting for dinner' position on the rug.

I'm confused.

Sounds like it is vomit. Bile is always yellow and foamy when vomited.

Could be because of the heat today. She could have also eaten something her body is rejecting and the only way out is to vomit it up. Also there has been a chucky bug going around in the last few weeks so she might have that. Just make sure she is kept cool and comfortable.

I probably would wait till later in the night, around 8 or 9pm to give her something to eat, that's if she hasn't thrown up again. I would only give her oven baked chicken breast, not her normal food.

I wouldn't be to worried unless she is constantly throwing up. If it's just once or twice she should be fine but if it goes on all day and night I would take her to the vets tomorrow.

If it is bile, it simply means that she has vomited with no food in her stomach. Dogs like people can get an upset stomach and sometimes it is a transient bug that passes, sometimes it is a symptom of a serious problem.

When you described an unhappy shaky dog I would have recommended a call to an Emergency Ctr, now that she is outside playing I don't think it is an unwise decision to monitor at home.

Definately NO WALK for any dog that is potentially unwell. It can be catastrophic, if she is going to perk up she will do it in her own time. Treat her as you would yourself i.e. keep her in a comfortable temperature, plenty of liquids, if all looks well start with a small meal only tonight and keep a close eye on her.

If symptoms recur or change contact an Emergency Ctr tonight, their staff can give excellent advice when your regular vet is closed.

My dogs do this sometimes if they have an empty tummy. They always look sad when they do it. I usually give them a tiny bit of milk or a bit of dry food, something just to get a little bit of food in them. Mine are fine after that.

watch him but I suspect he will be fine.

Linda

Thanks for the advice.

Will keep my eye on her and just a light meal later (I have some leftover roast chook - I will make sure I give her only the leaner stuff from the breast).

I wonder if the trembly/shaky was more to do with she had just done something in the house that she normally wouldn't do.

She's certainly looking quite perky and happy now.

Henry gets that sort of vomit and he also gets the shakes which I attribute to the lack of oxygen when he is gagging (eeewwwww gross description). Normally he is completely fine 5 minutes or so later

Could be the heat if it is a really hot day?