Coat Chewing Due To Heat

Mak

Hello everyone,

My little 1 year old pure bred Bichon Frise, Charlie, chews the fur on his hind legs and back. I've asked my groomer what is is, she said he doesn't have fleas (I use advocate) but it's because of the heat. She recommended one of those collars that goes around the neck so the dog can't itch himself, however I think he does it when no one is home/at night. I guess its not really a solution to the problem, is there anyway to prevent this behavior? Or just to keep his coat sort when it's getting hot?

Help me out DOL :love:

I would be surprised if hes eating his coat due to heat.

Normally they will do it at set times,for example we have a male here that eats leg furnishings when the girsl are in season but never at any other time.Hes in with retirees at that stage so there no big deal.

If you want to trim him short to experiment than i would do so but normally hair chewers do there front legs or even leg there feet.

If its the back i would be inclined to think something setting it off

If he isn't a show dog then I would keep his hair cut short. He might need some antihistamines.

He might have an allergy to what he is feed or a plant in the garden.

What does he get bathed in?

What do you clean the floors with?

What do you clean his bedding with?

He might have started the chewing for a reason but now it has become a learnt behaviour. You said he does it when no one is at home. Could be a seperation anxiety behaviour rather then itching himself.

It could be any number of things.."the heat' would come waaay down on my list !

has he ever injured his back end? he could have some pain there which he is trying to relieve.... are all his joints sound?

It could also be a habit, born out of boredom/frustration.

Does he have lots of exercise? and I don't mean runiing and playing in the house/yard :love:

If he goes on a couple of long leash (controlled) walks a day, and had plenty of bones and kongs to chew when no-one's home, he MAY be less inclined to "suck his thumb"

Wow, thank you for the quick and helpful replies!

Well, he's de-sexed. He actually just got back from the groomer so we will see how he goes, I've just taken some quick pictures, he has just woken up :love:

img1334kq6.jpg

I have just put down the brightness and put up the contrast so you can see the spots better, It is not this bad it is not even red! I have edited this to outline the spots

cdawglg7.jpg

He gets bathed in "Aloveen oatmeal Shampoo" and we sometimes use the conditioner, "Aloveen Oatmeal Intensive Conditioner", and before we used "Fido's White and Bright Shampoo". We use "Pineo Cleen Floors" for the floors. For the bedding, we have tried many however he doesn't like sleeping in beds, he likes to sleep in the bathroom or laundry because the tiles cool him down and he loves to sleep near us. He certainly doesn't have seperation anxiety, and I wasn't too sure if he does do it away, I'm just saying If I DO put on the collar, he would probably do it when we are not home, currently I don't think he does (mainly sleeps :D).

We feed him "Nutro Lamb Meal & Rice" and some canned food Science Diet Adult Chicken/Beef. We have considered taking him off the canned food but he loves it, should we? Once again, thank you for your help!

Mak

P.S The groomer always tells me how he has such a beautiful and unique coat! :eek:

Edited by Mak

I would be dropping the tin out.

If he choices to sleep on the tiles alot i would consider the fact he may be bodily over heating which can be diet related .

Does he feel hot & look pink alot ??

Do you give pig easr,schmackos etc etc??

When he pees does he pee on his coat??

Ok, will remove the Science Diet Canned food, we will see how he goes.

No he doesn't really feel all that hot and doesn't look pink. He hasn't chewed since he got that trim, the groomer said he will be fine in colder weather, and now that summer is gone it's going to get better.

He doesn't eat pig ears or schmackos but he sometimes eats Kangaroo tails, rawhides & dentabones.

No, he doesn't pee on his coat. I'm happy that he's stopped chewing after the trim! Will be observing him.

Thank you for your help,

Mak

Wow, I didn't realize it was that bad! I hope you do realize it is the same picture - just the second one was edited :rofl: It's not red or anything, just patches of missing fur.

Might take him soon then :thumbsup:

Edited by Mak

I realise that you edited the second picture, however what it shows is far from 'normal'. I'm sure your groomer means well, but I'd rather have it treated by someone who has veterinary qualifications personally.