Innotek No Bark Collar

I am looking into the possible purchase of an anti-barking aid for a Pug that I am about to take on that has an apparent behavioural issue. The behaviour that needs modifying is early morning howling and or barking. This apparently commence at around 2am each day.

The dog is around 5- 6 years, in good health as far as I am aware, but is totally deaf.

This behaviour has been non-stop for the last 6 months and most avenues have apparently been exhausted. So far I am of the understanding that he has undergone training, dosed up on relaxants (not sure which), walked back and forth at 2am on a lead, fed, the startle technique tried, closing all access to light, having a human sleep with him (he doesn't howl and perhaps this is one answer although he still wakes and becomes restless at this time) and he still persists.

It may be something like he wants company, in which case, being with me and the other Pugs may resolve the issue. If not though I am looking at what other methods I can try to get this guy under control so that he can be re-homed to a forever home.

Hence my query on this collar. Does it work? Has anyone actually used it successfully? What of snoring - if the collar works on vibrations in the throat, will a Pug snoring set it off??

Amy help and advice would be apprecitated. :(

This is it PF.

Innotek No-Bark Collar BC-200

$210.00

Innotek BC-200 a compact no bark collar completely waterproof with rechargeable battery.

Innotek is best known for its compact training products. That innovation is shown yet again in the Micro No-Bark Collar. At only 3.2 ounces, compact takes on a whole new meaning. The receiver is rugged and 100% waterproof, so it can be used indoors or out and on any dog.

This new generation of bark-control products requires no external vibration sensor - all working parts are housed inside the rugged case. Despite its small size, the BC-200 includes all of the features that have made Innotek bark-control products the industry standard.

New Auto Set Technology - the model BC-200 automatically sets itself at an appropriate stimulation that quiets your dog. It also gives your dog a two second learning time-out between stimulations.

Features:

* Ultra-compact micro-sized receiver

* New Auto-Set Technology

* Seven stimulation levels to match any dog's temperament

* Automatic No programming involved

* Rugged and waterproof for use indoors or out

* Safe: The collar can be activated only by the dog's bark

* Convenient: Long-life rechargeable NiMH battery is environmentally friendly.

* One year warranty

So it's an electronic one.

Are they legal in NSW? It would almost certainly work - they have a very high level of success.

If the behaviour is anxiety related, I'd be considering debarking.. far kinder IMO. Adding an aversive to any kind of anxious behaviour wouldn't be good.

Here's another model... haven't quite decided what the differcne is between the two yet;

Our Products ยป Stop Dog Barking

Click thumbnails to enlarge

Innotek - BC-50 Anti Bark Collar

Was: $169

Special Price: $149.00

Stock: available

Qty:

Features:

Suits small to medium sized barking dogs

Water-resistant

7 automatic levels of correction

Vibration sensor to detect barking means that only your dog's barking can activate the anti bark collar

Replaceable 6v alkaline battery

Includes written and DVD instructions

1 Year Warranty

30 Day Money Back/90 Day Upgrade Guarantee*

The Innotek BC-50 bark collar is a completely automatic anti bark collar suitable for small to medium sized barking dogs. It uses a replaceable 6-volt alkaline battery that lasts anywhere between 3-6 months depending on use.

How the Innotek BC-50 anti bark collar works to stop barking dogs:

The Innotek BC-50 anti bark collar has 7 levels of automatic correction. When your dog barks while wearing the Innotek BC-50 bark collar, a vibration sensor detects the dog barking and the bark collar emits the lowest level of static correction. A 2 second learning timeout follows. If your dog barks again the bark collar automatically increases to the second level of correction followed by another timeout. This process continues automatically through up to 7 levels.

If your dog stops barking for 5 minutes, the BC-50 anti bark collar automatically sets the stimulation back one level and stays set at that level until the battery is replaced.

For more information on anti bark collars such as effectiveness, how they stop barking dogs etc, feel free to read our Stop Dog Barking FAQ.

*Conditions apply. Please refer to our Terms section for further information.

Are they legal in NSW? It would almost certainly work - they have a very high level of success.

If the behaviour is anxiety related, I'd be considering debarking.. far kinder IMO. Adding an aversive to any kind of anxious behaviour wouldn't be good.

Thanks, that makes sense. I have never had a dog debarked before. I'll look into that as well.

Until I get him in I can't be sure what it is all about. I only know that he current family is at breaking point although there have been other extenuating circumstances involved that may have contributed to the breaking point bwing reached.

Thanks, that makes sense. I have never had a dog debarked before. I'll look into that as well.

Until I get him in I can't be sure what it is all about. I only know that he current family is at breaking point although there have been other extenuating circumstances involved that may have contributed to the breaking point bwing reached.

The deafness wouldn't be helping. :( Has the family considered debarking? It might mean they wouldn't have to rehome him. Sounds like they didnt' give up easily.

Edited by poodlefan

The deafness wouldn't be helping. :( Has the family considered debarking? It might mean they wouldn't have to rehome him.

I agree.

The family have gone through a very traumatic period with the loss of a child. They are at breaking point and I don't think that they could even listen to more ideas.

I also would think it may have already been discussed perhaps as they have comsulted with thier vet quite extensively, although I didn't bring this up with them at the time as I hadn't even thought of it.

it is a sad story all round from go to whoa. :)

The deafness wouldn't be helping. :( Has the family considered debarking? It might mean they wouldn't have to rehome him.

I agree.

The family have gone through a very traumatic period with the loss of a child. They are at breaking point and I don't think that they could even listen to more ideas.

I also would think it may have already been discussed perhaps as they have comsulted with thier vet quite extensively, although I didn't bring this up with them at the time as I hadn't even thought of it.

it is a sad story all round from go to whoa. :)

Jesus.. .very sad. :)

Puggles, I have used both the Innotek automatic and the one with the hand held control. on avery dominant problem barker. I did not find them satisfactory as the dog knows when the collar is on and respects the collar. It did not actually teach the dog not to bark. ispite of our best efforts to use training at the same time.

I too would suggest that de-vocalisation is a much kinder option.

edited to say that they were legal in qld at the time and bought over the counter out of sheer desperation.

Edited by aranyoz

Isn't one of the differences between the two collars that one has a rechargable batteries and the other takes batteries.

You could always talk to Steve at K9 force - he is a distributor for them and also stocks another model. He might be able to advise you on the best model for a pug.

My GSD girl was debarked by her previous owner. She sure ain't quiet.

Thanks everyone for your responses. There is certianly some food for thought there. I have the option of hiring a collar and I may take this up.

It could be just that this guy needs company. Being deaf and without company maybe making him anxious and he could have just developed a pattern of behaviour. I will wait and see when he arrives. He is due in this weekend and so the next few weeks I will work with him and see what develops.

If wnayone could confirm the collars legal status I'b be very grateful. The last thing I want to do is break the law. If they have been declared legal - why? Are they painful for the dog??? I am not sure I would want to use one if it was going to hurt.

Thanks again.

Just a thought, if the barking is only a problem in the early hours of the morning.

Have you considered crate training??

Sure beats sleeping with with you and will make the dog more comfortable to sleep through the night.

Thanks, his current owners have apparently already tried this option without success.

He won't be sleeping with me either :laugh: Ewww, I like my sheets hair free!

I have other Pugs though and I also have rescues that come and go so he will have a minimum of 2 other Pugs to share a bed with. He currently doesn't sleep with any other dog or person and is on his own to sleep which I think could have an affect on him but I am not sure.

have a look at DT Systems anti bark collars - big step up from innotek

How? They seem the same to me just different brands?? I am a real novice at this though. Can you tell me what the differences are.