Cow Hocks

Kynan

Well at 4 months i wouldnt be expecting miracles.The pup will be going through all sorts of fugglies but what you need to be sure is, is it a growing stage thing or a structure issue.

Cow hocks arent something thats fiixed if its structural .

At this age over exercisng will not achieve anything ,if the dog is active & doing self exercise then its body is building up condition at its own pace

Edited by settrlvr

Some puppies can appear to be cowhocked when actually they're loose and 'wobbly', this is especially common if the dog has lots of angulation behind. These puppies generally have their feet pointing straight ahead, but the hocks appear weak and wobble around when the dog is gaiting. Usually the hocks tend to straighten up and become stronger and more stable as the puppy matures and builds muscle. You can also get dogs that move 'close behind', the hocks remain straight, but come too close together as the dog moves, this is a lesser fault, but still not desirable. However cowhocks can also be caused by a fault in the dog's conformation, these puppies tend to turn their hocks in and their feet out and I've found that although these puppies may improve a little as they mature, they generally remain cowhocked to some degree as adults.

However I don't have GSD's, perhaps you should pose this question in the GSD thread in the Breed Sub-Forums attached to General Dog Discussion, there are plenty of experienced GSD people in there who should be able to help you with some breed specific advice.

I had a pup that was terribly cow hocked. I did not feel it was his conformation that was causing this. I had him seen by a good canine chiropractor who found he was out in the back. One visit and he was vastly improved, 2 visits and he was as near to perfect as you can get. At 11 months his hocks are great.

Having said that both settrlvr and Miranda have given great advice and I have to admit that the 'loose' or weak looking hocks seem to be very common in GSD pups that I see. I'd seek some advice from an experienced GSD person/breeder if you need to be concerned or not.

I agree with the others here, could be for a number of reasons. Have his back checked out to make sure it isn't the cause. With Rottweilers we sometimes see cow hocked pups, it can be a growth thing and many do straighten up with age, sometimes it is structural. I wouldn't be over exercising a young pup as it will do damage to young joints. You really need to know what is normal in the lines, I suggest you go back to the breeder to ask...........

I would suspect at this age it is a growth thing as in a loose puppy going through through the ganglies - JMHO