Puppy & The Rain

kja

We don't often get rain but it's bucketing down today. Second time since we've had the new puppy - must be some sort of record for us for this time of year!

Again, today she will not go outside to pee or poop. She did go to the door and poop on the towel we have there to control the water. We leave the back door open so the animals can go in and out at will.

We take her out, she does her thing. A while later, there's some more pee or poop in the house.

We're trying treats, taking her out a lot, taking her out soon after she's already been out just in case...gah! It's driving me bonkers.

What can we try/do to get her to go in the rain?

She has fun once she's out there and generally loves water falling on her head. Our older girl goes out no problem and Til will watch from the doorway, but won't go unless we make her.

My adult dogs don't like the rain, the younger ones avoid it as though it's acid! It takes time to 'toughen' up and reinforce training. Maybe the advice frequently given for storms could work, take pup out in it and make it FUN. Meanwhile you will need to physically take her out to the toilet frequently when it is wet to avoid those accidents :cool:

A friend just rang and says she has to take her spoilt little one out under the umbrella :)

Even though they dont like it they still have to go outside to the toilet obviously. I would grab am umbrella, boots and you and puppy out into the yard. Throw the ball, play some games etc, and dont come back inside until puppy has toileted.

Oh, the joys of toilet training in winter :)

I guess we just need to be patient. We're romping and having a great time out in the rain. We're going out about every three minutes (no, not really, but it seems like it LOL). We're going out with the older dog when she goes. Tilly will pee and/or poop, we play some more and/or have some congratulations before coming back inside. Then just a shortish time later, another house incident. It's like she saves some LOL

Sigh...we'll get there...

It could be the cold - I think it was only 30C here today :laugh:

We just got so spoiled with our original Ridgie teaching our middle daughter how to behave! Now that she's gone, I don't think the middle child, Dora, has really figured out that she's the mentor now!

Then just a shortish time later, another house incident. It's like she saves some LOL

Sigh...we'll get there...

Sometimes Shiloh wont get it all out first go, especially if there are other things going on. You could try just taking the pup out by itself, that way there is less distraction, and then waiting another couple of minutes after toileted just to make sure there is no more in the tank :laugh:

I took Maxine (now 5 and 1/2 months) out rain hail or shine since she was 8 weeks old....so no problems with Toilet training....However...we do have a covered pergola over a garden bed...and that is where it all happens on a rainy day :rolleyes:

You should try living with a Basenji..........................It is either.............too cold, too hot, too wet, too humid, too sunny, too cloudy, wrong time, busy, dont want to, cant be bothered, nick off, go away, leave me alone.................................and the best is..........................................................

...NO WAY, JUST NOT GOING :( .

Yes, he is just over 8 months and he is house trained, but it was a battle for a while :laugh: .

You should try living with a Basenji..........................It is either.............too cold, too hot, too wet, too humid, too sunny, too cloudy, wrong time, busy, dont want to, cant be bothered, nick off, go away, leave me alone.................................and the best is..........................................................

...NO WAY, JUST NOT GOING :rolleyes: .

Yes, he is just over 8 months and he is house trained, but it was a battle for a while :laugh: .

Classic :( Dalmatians are more like: "Sure - but what's in it for me" :thumbsup:

...NO WAY, JUST NOT GOING :( .

ROFL I love this.

She's not quite getting it yet, but we've only had one incident today. Of course, it was about 20 minutes after we'd been outside for a pee and congratulations and fun time...and more frustrating, right before she went BACK outside for another romp! GRRRR

So much for that.

She just walked into my husband's office and peed right in front of him. No warning, nothing.

We're completely pulling everything out of there today and pulling up the carpet to ditch it.

What a pain in the butt.

We are very unimpressed and getting stressed about it. Nothing we seem to be doing seems to work. I know, I need to be patient...this is only day three. I cannot WAIT for the rain to bugger off.