Can I Please Borrow An Expert Eye

Chloe'smum

post-8651-1207008595_thumb.jpgpost-8651-1207008607_thumb.jpgHi guys, I have stacks of photos of this green turtle baby and wanted to blow one up....but technically speaking I have no idea which is the best, so please help me choose! Any tips on improvements I could make in photo shop would be greatly appreciated too. Was thinking they may need to be lightened. It was pretty dark, and flash is banned around the hatchlings so the shadows were a challenge.

THANK YOU :laugh:

I like the third one, but the composition has let you down. I would like to have seen less space at the bottom of the pic more to the left and right and a lot more ahead of him. The depth of field is a bit of an issue but you could get away with it. I think you might be able to crop the second one to make a good shot, or crop in really close to the first to emphasise the head, because the composition on the first doesn't stand out. I think it might be a matter of using some pieces of cardboard to play around with different crop options with a print, then cropping in photoshop and blowing up. I like the exposure the way it is as well.

Good job with the low light though!

post-8651-1207011974_thumb.jpgThank you for the feedback...much appreciated! I tend to feel like there's something off in photos, but can't always put my finger on what it is....

Sounds like number two might be the winner, with some cropping and getting crafty with the cardboard.

As for three, have some with more room at front like this one, but it seems somehow flat. probably using the wrong lense coming back to haunt me. but when opportunity knocks...unfortunately when I went back with the right equipment the next night they weren't obliging me by hatching. very inconvenient of them :laugh:

I've just seen this so am very late with any response but, d'you know, I really really like the third one; it kind of epitomises the long vulnerable trek these little guys have to make - I think you should maybe do one of those 'triptichs' or whatever they're called (probably something completely different!!) where you have the three of the same size on the wall? Fabulous event and fabulous photos :)

Just found these! Great pics! :D

I like 2 and 3... and had some fun tweaking them a little in Photoshop :D

Did a gradient select and lense blur to drop the background out of focus a little more - and then I added a warming filter to give it a bit of a sunset lighting effect.

What do you think? Better or worse?

I love photoshop but sadly don't own a camera worthy of it! *lol* so am always happy to find piccies to play with!

Hoping Santa might bring a Nikon DSLR for Christmas! :confused:

post-18943-1207583879_thumb.jpg

Just found these! Great pics! :laugh:

I like 2 and 3... and had some fun tweaking them a little in Photoshop ;)

Did a gradient select and lense blur to drop the background out of focus a little more - and then I added a warming filter to give it a bit of a sunset lighting effect.

What do you think? Better or worse?

I love photoshop but sadly don't own a camera worthy of it! *lol* so am always happy to find piccies to play with!

Hoping Santa might bring a Nikon DSLR for Christmas! :laugh:

post-18943-1207583879_thumb.jpg

Nice photoshoppery :love: Very subtle, but effective!

Love it! Very clever....I can't wait to get home to photoshop so I can have a play around and try and achieve something similar.

Did you teach yourself photoshop or did you do a course? I need to get myself some of those handy tricks!

• 3 weeks later...
Love it! Very clever....I can't wait to get home to photoshop so I can have a play around and try and achieve something similar.

Did you teach yourself photoshop or did you do a course? I need to get myself some of those handy tricks!

I know you posted this ages ago - but i am new to the forum and just found them all.

I actually like the first one, i like the use of diagonal and the way it draws your eye down the picture. I also like the second one - good use of diagonals there too - and a nice shot of the turtle - its small fault is the line of the sand draws you eye to the bottom left corner, not to the turtle itself.

I actually suck at taking photos - even though i know the basics.