Canon 450d Is About To Be Released

Ripley

Just read this on B&H's site. So the 400D should drop in price when it does. B&H New York have it for USD799 body only.

I'll upgrade to a 30D (they are still made in NY) - 40D if I could afford it and I can't)), if anything. Camera or travel = travel will win out with me all the time.

So it has 12.2 mega and live view, what else though?

Canon 450D. Arrival: April 08

12.2-megapixel APS-C size CMOS Image Sensor

DiG!C III Image Processor

9-point AF

0.1 sec start up time

EOS Integrated Cleaning System

SD memory card

Light weight body (35g lighter than EOS 400D)

Live View Mode ("Quick" & "Live" Modes)

Picture Style Modes

3.0" LCD Monitor

A 12.2-megapixel Canon developed CMOS sensor and DiG!C III

Image Processor combine to deliver the highest image quality

for first time DSLR users. With the ability to capture 3.5fps, the EOS 450D is great for fast moving subjects while new features such as live view and continuous shooting on self-timer offer more creative control for the user. The new compact and lightweight design combined with the new SD card slot make the EOS 450D ideal for developing photographers moving up from their digital compact camera.

High Quality Images

-12.2 megapixel Canon-developed CMOS sensor

captures superb image quality with low noise and

natural colour

High Speed Performance

- Digic III acting as the brain inside the camera, this chip produces unsurpassed detail & 14-bit colour

- 9-point AF for ultra sharp images. You can manually select on of the 9 points to ensure correct focus

- Capturing 3.5 fps with the ability to capture an incredible 53 shots in a single continuous burst

Live View Modes

- In tricky shooting situations such as crowds or

confined spaces, you can view & compose images in

real time on the huge 3.0" LCD monitor.

Blemish Free Images

The EOS Integrated Cleaning System prevents &

automatically removes tiny dust particles resulting in

spotless images.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kirsilin, you can buy my 350D IF I decide on selling it later. I'll bung in the 18-55mm and the 70-300mm lens too.

Just deciding whether to sell it, it's in mint condition - not a scratch and only 20 months old.

Ah, I see. I read the post so quick I didn't pick up the 've at the end. :rofl:

I'm sure I'll be able to sell it at work, one guy put his up without the 70-300mm and it went like lightening.

Looks like the 450D is already for sale, it's advertised in the green guide this week for $1499 with 18-55/55-250 IS.

Thanks Ripley, I need to figure out how to use the one I've got. Maybe in a couple of years when you want to upgrade from the 450D I'll be ready to graduate :) .

Linda

Looks like the 450D is already for sale, it's advertised in the green guide this week for $1499 with 18-55/55-250 IS.

Thanks Ripley, I need to figure out how to use the one I've got. Maybe in a couple of years when you want to upgrade from the 450D I'll be ready to graduate :( .

Linda

That's crazy - you can get the 40D with lens for less than that!

yeah, that live view is the new MP buzz word.

I have used live view for aerial photography coz I stuck the camera out of the plane and could then line it up in the lcd, but other than that I haven't yet found a use I need it for. But I guess it's all what you're used to...

chezzyr, no it doesn't. I let OH clean our 350D. I'm banned from doing that. :worship:

ETA: Reviews I have read about the 400D says the image quality is exactly the same as the 350D.

Edited by Ripley

I haven't read a lot of reviews on the 400D as it's not a camera I considered, but I have several friends who have them, three who also have/have had the 350D, and we spent a lot of time talking about this new rig (and the 40D that I have). No one that I know of has hands on with the 450D yet...

Here's a little summary of what they have found (yes, I'm a geek - we talk about this stuff all the time LOL)

400D compared to 350D

- AF much much faster and more accurate, especially in low light, but noticeable in "normal" conditions, too

- clearly better details in the shadows and blues

- significantly better at ISO 800 and above

- excellent lcd screen

- big, clear, easy to read settings on the lcd

If cost isn't an issue, the first three items would be more than enough to push me to spend a bit more and get the 400D over the 350D.

The 350D performs quite well, though, so is still a good camera body.

There's no way I'd spend that $1400+ on a 450D when I could have a 40D for less than that, though :worship:

Have you heard anything about the 30D, kja? I know it's getting old but BH NY still sell them new for USD800.

My boss is on a plane to NY as I type this and he's getting me that 200mm Canon L f/4 lens from B&H. I plan on selling the 350D, its 18-55 and 70-300mm lenses and buying the 30D.

I can always get a 300mm Sigma later on if I think I need it.

The 30D is one of those cameras that some love and some think "eh" about. Mostly the people I know who have them are wedding/portrait, sport and/or commercial (magazines, corporate, advertising etc) shooters and the vast majority of them say don't bother - go with the 20D or the 40D. And those that have the 30Ds, that I know, are waiting to be able to afford to move systems - they have no plans to keep the 30Ds despite the 30Ds performing just fine mostly.

It's not that it's bad, they aren't at all, it's that there were virtually no real life gains over the 20D and the 20D has a better lcd (go figure) and is a rockin little unit. They're still sought after and often will bring $500USD+ used still.

The 40D is a marked improvement over the 30D and worth the extra bucks *if* you have them! The 30D is a fine camera body that will work well. If it were my $800, I'd find another few hundred and get the 40D with kit lens instead LOL But the better (much) AF, the better low light and high ISO performance is totally worth a few hundred to me and my wants. It might not be for you and yours.

Camera stuff is always so hard. There are so many reviews and opinions on things and then new models are released twice a year! Oh and so much neat glass to buy!

If my budget was really set, I'd save a bit on the body and sacrifice some of the benefits of a better body to have faster (better) glass. It's all a trade-off, but at least the glass will move with me.

Wow - you guys really dont need the 40D if you are not doing full on professional work and are still learning how to work a digital SLR. Once you know how everything works on the 350, 400, 450 etc then think about going to the prosumer cameras. Otherwise it is very easy to become confused over all the different settings. I keep being told all the extra wonderful things this caemra can do and I use it every single week (I must read more of the book I guess).

The 350, 400 etc series is a more basic camera eg you take less frames per seconds, simpler settings but they are still damn good cameras. And if you are only using the sports modes, auto modes, etc they will take the pics you want with ease. Until I got the 40D the 350D was my second camera with the smaller lens and that meant snapping away almost immediately for after race shots. Now that job is done by the 10D though there is little between them as the 'second' camera - the 10D has better focus sensors (bigger?) and is more sturdy. Would definately agree if you have that series save the money and buy thebest lenses you can and these make a HUGE difference to the photos. I have two similar lenses the camera loves one more than the other and now Im told thats becuase the better but older lens was originally constructed as a top line lens whereas the other was a lower level lens. IT makes sense and while you can see the difference if you know what to look for I find I can feel the difference when taking the photo - the camera is faster with teh better lens.

I love my 40D but for static/posed shots you get way more of the same shot - more than most people would need unless you are taking professional pics and then the more the better even if the pics look the same.

I do know how everything works on my 350D now. I've used everything on it from its long exposure noise reduction to exposure compensation. I've been doing a lot of reading this year to teach myself. Maybe I don't need to upgrade, but I've bought some good lenses - sigma 17-70mm and now, the Canon L 70-200mm f/4 I'm getting in a week. I know it's better to spend the money on the lenses and stick with the body but if I can afford to upgrade then I will. Currently have a 20D and 30D on 'watch' on ebay atm (even a 350D to see what they are going for) to see what the market is paying.

It was a general post ripley - was aimed at some on here who are only learning with the DSLRs but are starting to say 'but I must get the higher end one'. Its like buying photoshop when you only really need the stuff in photoshop elements.

Just startng to see a lot of 'oh dont bother with the consumer cameras just buy the prosumer ones or higher'. The 400D are being advertised arond here for just over $1000 - think its a lens kit too so perfect for anyone wanting to buy their first DSLR. The camera stores are trying to clear stock and so its a perfect time for shoppers yet you get the feeling here that they shouldnt bother as they arent as good as the far more expensive ones. Obviously they have less functions but still damn good cameras.