New Puppy And 3 Unwelcoming Cats

Ralphy

Hi,

My partner and I have just gotten a new 10 week old Koolie (similar to a Border Collie) puppy (Ralphy) and don't know how to successfully introduce him to the existing 3 cats we already have.

The cats so far seem very scared/ aggressive towards him although we have been keeping them separated and only introdusing them when they are both being held. They don't seem to be getting any better with this technique after two weeks. If anything the cats seem to be getting more upset about the situation.

Ralphy is a very social puppy and loves jumping all over any new person/ dog he meets which will surely be a problem with the cats if we let them go together.

We're mostly worried about the cats hurting Ralphy but I don't want the cats to be affraid of him either.

What is the best way we can get all 4 of them living happily together?

Thanks!

When introducing any dogs to my cats, I fly screen up one of the bedroom doors, usually with the cats in the room, and let them sniff each other, see each other etc, but they cannot get to each other. I do these introductions for a couple of days, and when there is no more hissing, spitting, growling, barking etc, I will then have them out togther. It is normal for the cats to take a swipe at puppy at the start, but puppy will learn from this. They do get used to each other and learn to live in harmony :laugh:

In saying that, I dont do this anymore, my cats have more front than Myres, and are first at the door to give any new dogs a bum sniff and head butt :laugh: But I found this method a good and safe way to introduce.

Provided the cats would prefer to stay away, then that's what I'd let them do for the time being. Make sure there is a place they can go to where your puppy can't, so they can escape the pup's attentions. They might be becoming more aggro as a result of being 'forced' to be social with the pup and being held would make them feel as though they are trapped. If the cats are around when the puppy is, that might be a good time to offer your cats a tasty treat. But again - avoid forcing the situation. Going by the experience of friends of mine (I don't own cats), cats don't much appreciate pups because at that age, pups act spasmodically and sometimes a little bit too full on for them to be able to understand and be comfortable. Just leave it alone and use the time to teach your puppy to come away from the cats if it appears they are bothered by him.

Make sure there is a place they can go to where your puppy can't

That is important.

Pups can go on for ages and cats get fed up and that's when you get the fight or flight.

One of my girls jumps up on something out of reach. The other, she stands her ground and bitch-slaps him. LOL. She's never hurt Lucien though

It's actually easier doing a cat-dog than a cat-cat intro.

Supervise them when they are together at first. Teach your pup to back off.

Before you know it, you will have a happy fur family.

My daughter's cat, Gabriel, is the same age as Lucien and they play ball games, chasings. etc.

My second cat, Cosette, will occasionally join in the chasings.

I also have Ophelia, my deaf cat. When they play, she calls the shots. You play by her rules, and Lucien is afraid of her. :rofl:

She likes water and will get in the bath with Lucien.

Play with them together. Throw balls around, small dog toys, whatever.

Feed them near each other - again, you need to supervise them.

Apart from that, let them be. Cats and dogs cat become best of buddies.

waterbabies3.jpg

You could try putting your pup on a lead when he is in the same room as the cats. That will give you control over him and stop him from running at the cats, while they can go where they please.

If you could get him to ignore the cats, maybe by training him to sit etc and giving him treats when he is "good"

This will at least get the cats used to the idea of him being around and learning that he won't always be trying to get to them.

Having him in a crate in the room could also work. The cats could get used to him while knowing that they are safe.

If you don't know much about crate training click on the search function - there is heaps about it on DOL.

I use the same techniques Scarlet suggested. Puppies are on a lead when in the cats territory until they learn suitable manners, it works much better than holding and trying to force a cat to acquiesce - cats never give in!

We are using the crate technique atm for an adult dog recently introduced to the household with a high prey drive and insatiable curiosity for cats. He is finally learning (I hope) to look but not lunge.

Be patient, it does take a little time to learn cat ettiquette.

With my 15 week old pup, she goes on lead if in an active mood when the cat strolls past, and is rewarded for being calm around the cat. The cat is also praised for showing tolerance and being willing to stay near the pup. It's working well so far and the pup will mostly now just interact gently or ignore totally. If she is in a silly mood and insists on being overbearing in her attentions to puss she goes in a crate for a short time out.

It helps that I have two older dogs who model cat friendly behaviour and that the cat is used to large dogs (she hates small dogs though!). On the other hand they are all sighthounds so if it does go wrong with 3 sighthounds and a cat it could go terribly wrong, which is why I am very careful about the training at this age.

Edited by Diva

• 3 weeks later...

As a long standing cat person I think the problem is largely holding the cat. Cats don't like their freedom of movement curtailed and will resent it and also be made more nervous. I would try putting the puppy in a playpen and bringing the cats into the room. They are free and he isn't - a situation bound to appeal to a cat's nature.