Worried About 2yr Old Rottweiler

cjm

Hi, we have a 2yr old otherwise very healthy Rotti who this morning has suddenly started turning only to the left. In circles. Repeatedly. She can't seem to focus and her eyes turn to the left when she tries to look at you. No matter how you entice she can't turn or look right. Chasing her ball, after several attempts she couldn't pick it up, she just kept going in circles and lost track of where it was. It is awful to watch. She is however not distressed and does not seem at all nauseous. She has gotten worse through the day.

Of course "vet consult immediately" however I have spoken with our vet who knows me well and is happy with her at home overnight under observation, assuming she doesn't get any worse and is not distressed. We have started her on prednisone and amoxyclav this afternoon (I have both on hand, the vet said to start them) to cover bases until the morning.

So the suspect is a middle ear infection?

My question is, has anyone experienced this with their dog with ear problems? Or something else as a cause? I am very worried it's something more sinister, and it is going to be a very long night watching her :D

Edited by cjm

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope everything is OK, was the vet aware of the Nystagmus (eye movement) when you spoke? While it can be associated with vestibular it is wise to be very cautious as it is commonly seen with brain injury also.

Yes his second guess is a stroke, as it has happened so suddenly probably not a tumour. I guess we will get some answers in the morning.

Thanks for the responses.

Thanks. I wanted to update that the vet does think it is a middle ear infection, and that there is some pressure on a nerve as a result as this is a pretty severe symptom. She has been given some strong ABs and bloods have been taken to check there isn't anything else going on, but hopefully that is it. She has a temp and one gland is up in her neck, but she is nowhere near sick enough to suspect meningitis I don't think?

Thank you for the responses, hopefully Pru will be better ASAP.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update, it gradually improved and she was back at probably 95%

However, this afternoon she was in severe respiratory distress and x-ray was clear - it's pulmonary oedema. She is a very sick girl right now and we just see what happens overnight, I can't remember the name of the diuretic they are giving but unfortunately Mum panicked and took her to the closest vet instead of the one I go to - so I wasn't able to get much information (my vet knows me and is happy to discuss what is happening) and we will transfer her care in the morning hopefully.

So this can't be a coincidence that less than 2weeks after this started her heart is failing. Pru is such a sweet girl and this is heartbreaking. I just need to know why all this is happening to her.

However, this afternoon she was in severe respiratory distress and x-ray was clear - it's pulmonary oedema. She is a very sick girl right now and we just see what happens overnight, I can't remember the name of the diuretic they are giving but unfortunately Mum panicked and took her to the closest vet instead of the one I go to - so I wasn't able to get much information (my vet knows me and is happy to discuss what is happening) and we will transfer her care in the morning hopefully.

So this can't be a coincidence that less than 2weeks after this started her heart is failing. Pru is such a sweet girl and this is heartbreaking. I just need to know why all this is happening to her.

I'm so sorry to hear that your girl is having such problems. She's so young to be going through this.

Was the diuretic Frusemide by any chance?

Ah yes it's Lasix she mentioned so yes that's the one. They aren't doing anything other than giving that as needed overnight, so I guess we work out a plan of attack tomorrow. Probably take her to Perth if my vet can't help (this vet she's with now actually said on presentation to put her back in the car and drive her the two hours to Perth...luckily a senior vet was able to step in and do something, as if Pru would have survived the trip without any intervention)

She is such a beautiful girl with a typical sweet Rotti personality.

1016390618_82989437d8_m.jpg

Maybe it was originally a spider bite that caused the initial symptoms and there is some sort of damage to her heart? Yes I am very bad at self diagnosis which is probably very obvious by now - I need answers iykwim.

Thanks for the thoughts, will let you know an update tomorrow. Pru is a strong girl so I am sure this can be managed.

She is still completely flat and struggling to breathe so has been taken to my vet (who saw her the first time) and he is starting from scratch and trying to figure out what is happening. No talk of taking her to Perth at this stage but I don't know what they will do.

Wow I looked in tonight hoping for good news, I hope Pru is still fighting and diagnosis is close. I am presuming she is on oxygen and that is helping her breathe easier. She really is very beautiful and from what you say has a personality to match. Keep fighting Pru.