Tapeworms

just looking for some advice on Tapeworms...

If your pet had tapeworms how long did it take to notice that your dog/cat had them?

What are the first symptoms?

Doesn't Worming tablets cover tapeworms???

just looking for some advice on Tapeworms...

If your pet had tapeworms how long did it take to notice that your dog/cat had them?

What are the first symptoms?

Doesn't Worming tablets cover tapeworms???

Flea Tapeworms are the most common and are spread by fleas. Part of the tapeworm’s lifecycle develops in fleas & when a dog eats an infected flea the tapeworm develops in their intestine. The most common sign is your dog ‘scooting’ or dragging its bottom along the ground due to irritation. You may also find worm segments in droppings or on the dog’s coat around the anus – like rice grains.

Worm your dog every 3 months - once is not enough

Remove dog droppings from your yard and litter trays

Clean kennels and sleeping areas regularly

Concrete runs are best

Worm any cats/other pets in the household as well

Control fleas on your pets

Sorry this has reminded me of a client.

Do these 2 dogs every 6 months or so, last time I did them she said one of the dogs has a very crusty bum, is losing all of the hair around her bum and has been scratching her butt on the bricks. Yes, you may think OMG, but this lady had no idea. I said she would most likely have worms and lifted the tail to look. This would've had to have been the most painful painful issue for this dog, the skin was red raw and had cracks in it :cry:

Anyway, did the groom, gave her a good clip and bath etc, as I was finishing off the groom, lifted the tail to make sure there were no stray hairs around the back end, and there was a TAPE WORM SLIDING IN AND OUT OF ITS BUM :rofl:

It's gross, but I waited for it to slide back out and I pulled it out with the haemostats :)

So, to answer your question, there are the usual signs, first of which is scooting bum on the ground. Some wormers dont cover all worms, but it is clearly labelled on most brands what they do and dont cover. If you suspect I would worm them twice a couple of weeks apart :)

By the way this dog went straight to the vet (it did cos I drove past and saw their car there :D) and was given the required treatment :)

Edited by BC

I second the don't use cheap stuff!!!

One of my cats had a few issues and even the all wormer from the vet only helped for a week or two. I ended up with tablets that just do the tapeworm and so far we have been good for about 6 weeks.

and there was a TAPE WORM SLIDING IN AND OUT OF ITS BUM :cry:

:D I've had that quite a few times with clients dogs- disssssssgusting! :)

:) its rank and this has been the only dog I have actually seen it sliding in and out and I dont want any more so I dont envy you :rofl:

and there was a TAPE WORM SLIDING IN AND OUT OF ITS BUM :cry:

:) its rank and this has been the only dog I have actually seen it sliding in and out and I dont want any more so I dont envy you :rofl:

Try having the cat sitting on a book that you are reading and well leaving one behind!!!

and there was a TAPE WORM SLIDING IN AND OUT OF ITS BUM :)

:eek: its rank and this has been the only dog I have actually seen it sliding in and out and I dont want any more so I dont envy you :cry:

Try having the cat sitting on a book that you are reading and well leaving one behind!!!

:rofl::)

and there was a TAPE WORM SLIDING IN AND OUT OF ITS BUM :eek:

:D I've had that quite a few times with clients dogs- disssssssgusting! :cry:

:eek: its rank and this has been the only dog I have actually seen it sliding in and out and I dont want any more so I dont envy you :)

:):eek:

Lucky we have found something to get rid of them as he is now asleep on the computer. :):rofl:

and there was a TAPE WORM SLIDING IN AND OUT OF ITS BUM :)

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry: That is REVOLTING!!!!! *shakes head* I think I would have been physically ill. But, that does remind me of a time a few weeks ago when I ate a maggot out of a Boost bar. :eek:

I'm wondering if horses seem to have some connection with tapeworm? Most of the dogs I've had in are on acreage (horse studs) or perhaps there's just more wildlife down the road.

If one dog has tapeworms does that mean all the dogs have them???

If they have been run together and are not wormed strictly every three months then yes, very likely.

Then how would 1 dog out of 5 get tapeworms if they all runned together, ate together and most of the time slept together or in the next kennel run???

All wormed regualry, cleaned out kennels on concrete???

This is what is confusing me the most... As i was always under the standing that if 1 had worms they all have worms... hmmmmm

If one dog has tapeworms does that mean all the dogs have them???

If they have been run together and are not wormed strictly every three months then yes, very likely.

Then how would 1 dog out of 5 get tapeworms if they all runned together, ate together and most of the time slept together or in the next kennel run???

All wormed regualry, cleaned out kennels on concrete???

This is what is confusing me the most... As i was always under the standing that if 1 had worms they all have worms... hmmmmm

Thats what I said, it is likely that they do all have worms.

As said earlier, the tapeworm is caught when the dog eats a flea. If only one dog eats a flea then only one dog will have tapeworm.

There is also another tapeworm, hydadid tapeworm, and I believe it is caught from eating raw offal. That might be why a rural dog will have tapeworm.

Symptoms of tapeworm usually include weight loss but can also include a nasty change in temperament. Tapeworms eat essential enzymes as well as other nutrients from a dog's guts.

Many commercial dog rearers use alternate brands of worming product every couple of months, in case any worms are resistant to one or the other. Drontal one treatment, panacur the next.