Endurance Test

What sort of obedience level is needed for a dog to compete in an ET test?

It's pretty basic Huski and done on lead.

A group of six or so competitors at a time line up with their dogs sitting in a heel position (you can push their bum in to the sit position). The judge will instruct you all to walk forward..... you move forward with the dog in a heel position for about 5-10 metres, you then about face and place your dog in a sit position (again you can "help" them into position). You then tell the dog to "stay" and walk forward to the end of your lead. The judge will then ask you to "call your dogs". You then call "come" or similar encouragingly and get the dog to come to you eagerly - then get them to sit again.... and that's it!! ;)

The aim is to show that the dog is obviously eager to "work" both before and after strenuous activity.

Thanks Caslero. Daisy does more than that at obedience training, so the actual commands/obedience stuff shouldn't be a problem ;)

Don't forget folks that, in order to enter an ET, you need to be an Canine Control member and your dog has to be ANKC registered.

For dogs without an ANKC pedigree, that means you register them as Associates.

Edited for accuracy.

Thanks PF, I'm not a CCCQ member but Mish and Daisy are ANKC registered. Can't picture Cherry doing an edurance test ;)

Does anyone know if ETs are run out of Brisbane?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had just done another 7km, and as a good PF doctor ordered at a slower pace.

No issues, she didnt get tired at all, no panting, or hardly any, no panting 2 minutes after we came home.

Im on another hand feel tired. must be the flu I have, shouldnt be excercising, but couldnt help myslef LOL

Edited by Monelite

Guest Piximatosis

I'm considering doing it with Desmo. The challenge will be me and my dodgy knees rather than him ;) I'll probably enter and then see how I go closer to the time.

Caslero did it for a friend I recall........... but bummer she is doing it with her own dog, cant ask her to do mine..........

LOL - well it wasn't the plan for me to do the entire thing - we *were* going to share the cycling.... but my friend found the going difficult and got pulled off the bike by her dog ;) I raced over, checked she was ok, grabbed the dog and bike and then cycled off at approx. 20km/hr til we caught up with the group again ;) Thankfully we had no other dramas for the rest of the journey ;)

Guest Piximatosis

When do entries actually open? If the ET is in August I'm assuming it would be in the May/June catalogue??

When do entries actually open? If the ET is in August I'm assuming it would be in the May/June catalogue??

Last year it was in the June journal so probably the same this year. The ET is normally held on the 2nd Sunday in August and entry fee is $50.

You also need to have a vet complete a certificate (this form is sent to you by ET organising committee) within 2 weeks prior to the ET stating the dog is physically fit and able to participate in the Endurance Test.

I was planning on completing it this year, unfortunately they have all been held out the other side of Melbourne or far North which means a 4 hour drive/overnight stay :)

Hoping they will have a trial a little closer next year. We've been out on the bike a bit though, now its cooler we'll be doing a lot more. Currently doing about 5 kms every few nights.

Guest Piximatosis
Last year it was in the June journal so probably the same this year. The ET is normally held on the 2nd Sunday in August and entry fee is $50.

You also need to have a vet complete a certificate (this form is sent to you by ET organising committee) within 2 weeks prior to the ET stating the dog is physically fit and able to participate in the Endurance Test.

Thank you, that's very helpful :D

Huski,

Ipswich Dog Obedience club holds an ET at the end of July, even though your dogs are ANKC registered you will also have to join. You have to get the dog to the vet for a clean bill of health too prior to doing the ET.

At the end of the test there is very basic obedience test, heel on lead, sit, stand, drop and I think there was a short off lead recall.

Costs about $20 to compete.

Sue

• 1 month later...

bumping this as the June journal came out wiht the Sydney date of the trial.

Someone also pmed me asking about my trainign reigime, so I thought I will reply here to it.

The training reigime - well it doesnt really exists :happydance2:

A dobermann is not a dog that is going to have problems passing the test, uless they are overweight or very unhealthy.

So any training I do is more for me to gain endurance and for the dog to learn not to pull on lead and run nicely next tot eh bike.

I usually do about 45 minutes rides which is 7-10km depending on the speed. I do this only to have some activity with the dog and to train myslef. I might do this once a week or even less....

And Im happy to say that Divani doenst pull on lead, trotts nicely next to me and we enjoy the time together :cooldance:

Ack I forgot it was a bit pricy to enter, especially with the vet check you have to have. I don't think I will be entering after all this year, my dog funds are running low due to all the agility training/trialing ive been paying atm. I'm sad that I wont be able to catch up with you Monolite :eek:

I love the idea of doing an ET. My partner and I both cycle and run, so whether we ran or cycled with the dog it would be fine. But Jedi is way too young at the moment for that, but it is on the to-do list!