How Do You Tell If A Dog Is Cold, While Sleeping?

Hi,

As colder nights are approaching, I was wondering how you can tell if your dog is cold whilst sleeping?

My lab sleeps outside, by choice, in a kennel under a covered verandah. She has a woollen doona and woollen blankets, but when I check her before I go to bed her underside (stomach area) is warm but top exposed area is cool to cold. She doesn't like blankets on top of her and I don't want to overheat her. Is this OK or should I be looking at a heat pad.

Any advise or recommendations welcome.

Thanks

Hi Daxilly,

I would think that if your dogs stomach is warm that the dog itself feels warm? and maybe the part that you feel is cool to cold is only because its hair exposed to cold air and the dog itself tho is warm? Its a hard call with winter coming, My chocolate lab sleeps in a kennel with blankets and we also put straw in their as he likes to dig himself a bed in it,when he was younger would always lay in the garden in the straw (that we layed ontop to keep the moisture in ), thats when we realised he loved straw lol wierd huh . Our black lab however sleeps inside the house , The chocolate one doesnt like being inside at all, which is why he sleeps outside in a kennel.

How old is your dog? Does your dog make noise at night? Does it shiver when you check it?

For real tho i would imagine that your dog would get under her lovely doona and blankets if she got to cold :)

While young to middle-aged, if the dog is not complaining and there is good firm padding (insulation) underneath the dog and a cold surface then the dog is probably ok.

As the dog gets elderly, be vigilant for signs of pain and arthritis, then consider having the dog sleep indoors in a warmer place.

one of my dogs gets very cold and comes to me shaking when she wants her jumper on. when she's cold, her nose, feet and tongue are also cold. I always find that if my dogs tongues arent warm then they are cold... but that could be just me, or just my dogs lol... its not a fact, just the way I tell. :rolleyes:

Thanks,

She still likes sleeping in her kenel and will stand at the door to go outside. She is a BYB rehome, so I am anticipating some hip dysplasia/arthritis in the coming years. I have her on fish oil and Joint Guard as a preventative.

I have seen a kennel insulated liner, but while she is warm on her stomach and appears comfortable I will leave it. I would hate her to get too hot and leave her kennel. We can get into the minuses here so will keep an eye on her. At least she is a lab so hopefully genetically adapted for the cold. :(:(

Cheers

If she is very cold, she will shiver.

remember..it doesn't really matter how many layers the dog is sleeping ON..what does help keep the warmth in is a low roofed, small doored kennel :(

The small door(or one with a canvas flap) plus a lowish ceiling, keep the dog's bodyheat in, and make sure the surrounding air is a bit warmer than that outside.

Lying on a flat surface is also not as warming as providing a hollow for the dog to curl in :(

A hollowed-out sleeping area/'bed' means less of the dog's surface area is exposed to the cold air :)

If she is very cold, she will shiver.

remember..it doesn't really matter how many layers the dog is sleeping ON..what does help keep the warmth in is a low roofed, small doored kennel :)

The small door(or one with a canvas flap) plus a lowish ceiling, keep the dog's bodyheat in, and make sure the surrounding air is a bit warmer than that outside.

Lying on a flat surface is also not as warming as providing a hollow for the dog to curl in :mad

A hollowed-out sleeping area/'bed' means less of the dog's surface area is exposed to the cold air :mad

Hi,

I thought that would be the case. I have OH sourcing a king size woollen quilt that with a bit of sewing will turn into a deep bed with high sides. It is amazing what you can find and adapt to suit your needs.

Thanks.