Eukanuba....is It Bad?

Hi All.

I have a question regarding Eukanuba. I have been reading up on the net about this product and there are a few sites saying that it contains too much "filler" like corn. I read the packet ingredients and sure enough corn is up there as the 3rd item on the list which means that it is the 3rd most prevalent ingredient in this food. Some other points is that this can cause alergies in your dog where he/she is always itching themselves but they dont have fleas etc.

Does anyone have an opinion about Eukanuba being not good in this respect ?

I would be interested to see what Aussies think about this.

Cheers.

JRT

I LOVE eukanuba!!! I've been using it for about 15yrs. I've never had a dog with skin problems or any diet related problems. I have afghans and a shih tzu. I think it's like most foods, in that it totally depends on the individual dog. Eukanuba may not agree with your dogs so you have to find something that will. I've never had any problems so until i do, i'll be a devoted Eukanuba feeder.

It used to contain Ethoxyquin as the preservative..............this substance is used to make rubber!

Whether they have been exposed for this I dont know, it used to not be labelled but called a numbered preservative on the pack..........Maybe someone can verify whether it is still used or not????????? If so it can & does cause immune system problems.

All grains & cereals are unnecessary & potentially harmful, but yes corn is number one offender in dogs..........

• 1 month later...

Sorry I haven't replied to my own thread for a while.

I am surprised no-one else has an opinion on this brand and corn-starch.

Is anyone able to confirm if Corn-meal has a negative effect in high doses on dog's ?

Thanks again

Some dogs can tolerate corn and some can't. I have two dogs here that can't have any food with corn in it, they develop loose poo and lose condition, but it doesn't seem to have any effect on my other dogs. I no longer buy any dry food that contains corn.

Hi

In a mere NZ opinion. I know many use this brand with huge success, but in my experience with Arctic breeds it can (sometimes) be detrimental to coat. This is all too often blamed on "coat funk". I have seen too many Mals with dried up broken coats only to re-grow when taken off Euk.

Some dogs tolerate it very well, some don't.

I know when i got Zero, he didn't have good coat condition but we put him on a diet of pedigree naturals (which also contains corn - he gets sick off a lot of things and we've only found pedigree naturals and supercoat don't make him sick) and chicken wings and his coat has come right back. We're going to be trying him on both eaglepack and orijen in the next couple of days (higher quality foods because i'm concerned about the amount of filler in the pedigree) but if he can't eat them I'll be happy to leave him on pedigree naturals till i can find a higher quality food without the filler.

It all comes down to the dog i think - the best food for your dog is one that it does well on.

I agree that different diets suit different dogs and different people.

I have two small dogs on Eukanuba that do very well and are aging very well, fit and active. Both have "controlled" atopy, and need no medication if kept on Eukanuba and goat bones. But add any other foods or change the dry food, and whammo - allergy flares everywhere. So for me it works really well for these guys. Yeah I know Euk contains all the nasty things that dogs are allergic too, can't digest etc, but for my guys it is perfect.

My large dog I have on a prescription diet as his gut was permanently damaged by a nasty gastro virus, and he will need a modified diet, likely for life. He does really well on it and looks a treat and is full of energy, great coat, great poos etc.

I don't have to inclination or time to research home prepared feeding, nor I suspect the time or storage to do it well. But would I if I thought I had a dog that needed it? Sure.

What other premium foods are available besides Euk, i have been feeding my boy euk for a year or so now, and seems to enjoy it, evan thou i have to add a tin fish with it, but if there is another brand out there that doesnt have the corn, i would look at giving that a go.

A few people have commented on how conditioned he is looking, and has put on about 4 kilos in the last 7 months ( since i started mixing tuna and mackeral with it).

My boy had almost constant diahorrea on euk, even thought thats what his breeder feeds all her dogs of the same breed and has done for years..this indicates to me it's really specific to your pup. I have subsequently tried royal canin, eagle pack premium and eagle pack holistic...he is fine on all of them but still poos 4 times a day which I think is alot...my next port of call is orijen, I am picking up a trial pack this afternoon...

edited for spelling

Edited by schnauzer_luv

Eukanuba is not bad (certainly alot worse out there IMO) my dogs were on it for years. Dont be to scared of corn, many good products contain corn. It is important that the corn is used as a source of carbohydrate and not protein, so should never be first ingredient listed. Meat is about 70-80% protein where as corn is only about 10% protein. Some brands (ie science diet) list corn as there first ingredient ie a cheap low quality source of protein. Some brands like Eagle pack use meat meal as opposed to "real chicken" which euk uses as it is also higher in protein and contains none of the water "real chicken" dose.

Our GSD was brought up on eukanuba as a pup but we were also told it had bad preservatives which made her extremely hyperactive and loopy, she itched constantly and had constant soft 4 poops daily which smelt really bad!

We changed to advance and she had stopped itching, isnt as crazy and her poop is firmer, darker and less regular and doesnt smell bad (as far as poo goes)..

Its individual to your dog but if you dont try any other brands you wont find out what they do well on...