Cooked Onion Vs Raw Onion?

Apologies in advance if this is a dumb question ....

I realise I can't feed my dog onion .. not a problem .. however, I made a really yummy pumpkin soup (with real chicken stock, one onion and carrots, heap of pumpkin and parsley ...the really healthy home made kind) .. any way ... can I stick a couple of dollops on Noodle's dinner (rehydratable Advance ... also trying out a bit of the Eagle pack stuff too at the moment) ... or should I be concerned about the onion?

Ditto for the spaghetti bog I made ... just thought a dollop of that might be ok??

What is the verdict DOLers?

post-16051-1209987171_thumb.jpg

As with everything.... there are good and bad stories. I know lots of dogs fed all sorts of leftover human food..with no probs.

then there are warnings such as this :)

Onion and garlic poisoning Top

Onions and garlic are other dangerous food ingredients that cause sickness in dogs, cats and also livestock. Onions and garlic contain the toxic ingredient thiosulphate. Onions are more of a danger.

Pets affected by onion toxicity will develop haemolytic anaemia, where the pet’s red blood cells burst while circulating in its body.

At first, pets affected by onion poisoning show gastroenteritis with vomiting and diarrhoea. They will show no interest in food and will be dull and weak. The red pigment from the burst blood cells appears in an affected animal’s urine and it becomes breathless. The breathlessness occurs because the red blood cells that carry oxygen through the body are reduced in number.

The poisoning occurs a few days after the pet has eaten the onion. All forms of onion can be a problem including dehydrated onions, raw onions, cooked onions and table scraps containing cooked onions and/or garlic. Left over pizza, Chinese dishes and commercial baby food containing onion, sometimes fed as a supplement to young pets, can cause illness.

Onion poisoning can occur with a single ingestion of large quantities or with repeated meals containing small amounts of onion. A single meal of 600 to 800 grams of raw onion can be dangerous whereas a ten-kilogram dog, fed 150 grams of onion for several days, is also likely to develop anaemia. The condition improves once the dog is prevented from eating any further onion

While garlic also contains the toxic ingredient thiosulphate, it seems that garlic is less toxic and large amounts would need to be eaten to cause illness

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

from here http://www.petalia.com.au/Templates/StoryT...ory_No=257#ct-4

Eeek ... might just be an onion free house from now on .. don't really need the onion in teh pumpkin soup or the spag bog :)

Thanks for the advice Persephone (not sure I spelt this right .. apologies).

Always good to ask I reckon.

I regularly feed my dog a spoonful of spag bol, or curry and rice, or whatever else we have on the go. Around 15-30g of onion per kilo bodyweight is needed to poison your dog, so a spoonful of onion in leftovers is unlikely to cause any dramas.

Audrey

Thanks Audrey,

As Noodle is still a pup I might give the whole onion thing a miss .. cooking will be onionless from now on ... I mean the spag bog and the soup :) Noodle doesn't eat anything we eat anyway .. just me thinking she might find it a yummy change and nutritious apart from teh normal fare and chicken fillet and chicken necks and the odd raw carrot to munch on .. she loves these.

Is it really worth the risk??? My dogs are too precious to me to take the risk.

ditto !!! raw foods are the way to go... chicken necks/wings/carcus/mince and bone with a bit of slightly cooked veg and pasta/ rice (small portion) is what i give at night, biscuts in the morning to ensure they are getting all the nurtrients/ vitamins they need.

Ben

Whilst Im not arguing that onion and garlic are toxic to dogs in large quantities. I will only mention that I and all of my family have had very long lived dogs (currently mine 18 and 15 ) living on occasional left overs of stew with onions, curry with onions etc.

Maybe its the individual dogs build up tolerence to the plant in question.

Noodlenut, keep in mind that there is also dehydrated onion in stock cubes, so if you're using stock, use homem made without onion in order to completely avoid the stuff...

I avoid it too, by the way, just in case. There is so much other crap everywhere else that he could inadvertently pick up, that I would rather control as much as I can!

Wow. I had no idea that even a small amount could affect some dogs. Surely the amount in baby food would be negligable (although I dont feed baby food to my dogs)

I make all my own spag sauces and I make sure there is no onion in it so the dogs can eat the leftover....I do use a lot of garlic though, I didnt realise it was bad for them.

You know years ago, my heart dog and I would share a Garlic Beef once a week - I would eat 98% of the meat out, and leave her the juices and the ONION and she would scoff that down. She once became quite anemic but got over that, otherwise it never affected her that I knew of.

My parents dog lived til 18 years easily and she was fed on all sorts of left overs and it never affected her.... even when we baked her a chocolate cake for her birthday and she ate it all lol.... we didnt know at the time these things were bad for dogs.

I would say it would depend on the dog as to how it affected it.

I would never feed my dog large quantities of the stuff but I do occassionally give him left overs and it hasnt affected him.

It would be up to you to make the decision and assess how much your dog is affected.

I make all my own spag sauces and I make sure there is no onion in it so the dogs can eat the leftover....I do use a lot of garlic though, I didnt realise it was bad for them.

My spag bog sauce is very healthy .... I have a 6 year old daughter that wont even look at anything that vaguely looks like a vegetable but LOVES pasta!! So, I hid broccoli (a whole head of it!), 3 enormous carrots (makes the sauce really sweet) and the usual cans of crushed tomatoes and premium mince ... puree the lot so it is as smooth as baby food ... never ever know there was a veggie in there :love: Doesn't help the 10 year old that DETESTS pasta ... groan .. he eats veggies though ..... life! :laugh:

Anyway before this becomes a cooking thread ;) I want to be able to put a dollop on Noodles food whenever I make it. I don't use garlic and I can easily cut out the onion.

I am pleased I asked the question... thought it may have been a bit ridiculous but I thought that perhaps teh toxicity may have ben reduced from boiling to a pulp .. not so I now understand. You know how you can cook with wine and the alcohol evaporates off? Anyway .. thought it might have been the case with onions .... :laugh:

Thanks to all that have responded .. really appreciate the advice and especially 22 week old Noodle :mad

Karen

post-16051-1210048053_thumb.jpg

Is it really worth the risk??? My dogs are too precious to me to take the risk.

Totally agree and I also believe that a little at a time over a long period of time can also cause damage so the

best approach is not to give them anything that is known to cause problems. I also believe the same can be said of

garlic, it's related to the onion family and is also known to contain thiosulphate. No onions or GARLIC in this household

for our pets!

I remember years ago, when I was a teen and had the best Blue Heeler the world has ever known (LOL...my opinion here obviously)...I used to read Grass Roots, for healthier lifestyle things and such, it was said that giving a dog Garlic was a healthy way of keeping fleas away...I never used it 'cause the thought of smelling that stale garlic smell on her breath was a big turn off. But yeah I did feed her left overs and that included onions (didn't know about the problems here either)...Sharah lived til she was 14. I guess it must depend on the dog...but now I know I dont want to risk it anymore.