Sicking Up Blood

My Zedley threw up blood four times yesterday :love: The day before he had eaten a whole chicken wing (it fell of the kitchen side whilst I was one handedly trying to remove the tips). He is on a BARF diet and regularly gets the wing tips and necks and sometimes a whole wing. We were out for the first three upchucks so I could not inspect too closely, the fourth was in the kitchen so I could see that is was red/brownish blood with no lumpy bits.

He was a bit off colour yesterday, but slept fine (beside me on the bed) and appears to be OK today, no sick so far. I have spoken to the vet, and I can take him this arvo if he is not good.

I am just wondering if he could have just scraped his esophagus or stomach with the bone, and mayne things will right themselves.

Sorry for any errors or nto making sesnce as I only have one hand available ATM, have a cast on the left hand after on operation.

TIA for any insight.

Hi Loraine, sorry to hear about your arm.

I would be taking Zedley to the vet. Any blood in vomit cant be good whether it is minor or not. Even if he feels better today, you never know.

Was the blood old looking or fresh? did it have clots in it. Was it a lot or small amount of blood? Maybe just for peace of mind, it would be best to get him looked at.

Good luck with Zedley (love his name!! :love: )

Edited by baifra

Hi Loraine, sorry to hear about your arm.

I would be taking Zedley to the vet. Any blood in vomit cant be good whether it is minor or not. Even if he feels better today, you never know. we can go to the vet at 4.15

Was the blood old looking or fresh? freshis, not really red, but red/brown did it have clots in it NO. Was it a lot or small amount of blood? small Maybe just for peace of mind, it would be best to get him looked at.

Good luck with Zedley (love his name!! :love: )

Thanks baifra

He's not on any medications is he? Some for arthritis can make dogs more prone to ulcers, which can bleed.

Hope all's well.

thanks PW, he is not on any meds - I'm just hoping it is a cut from a bit of bone. See the bet in a few hours

OK been to the vet. She thinks he has scratched his esophagus, but I have to keep an eye on him in case he has swallowed a large-ish piece of bone that may be stuck. So far he has eaten his dinner (salmon :laugh: just to tempt him). He has passed a normal stool, run through the park and played with a couple of his doggy mates. :laugh:

Bit of a fright...glad he is feeling more comfortable :love:! tell him to chew his dinner better!!

:love: thanks Pers. He had a good night's sleep andf has eaten a soft brekky (does not normally have brekky) as he only had a small dinner last night (salmon for the sick :love: ). Thank dog that he is back to his normal silly self :wave: His meals for the nexct few days will be boneless and softish to help him heal.

Hi Loraine! :thumbsup: Long time no speak.

I've just realised how naive/gullible I am. Ella ate some hard plastic and threw it up in little chewed up bits with some blood and I shelled out money at the vets for something to coat the stomach and gut so as not to get any more damaged, and antibiotics in case infection set in. :thumbsup: Your vet just says feed soft food and watch him. Man am I a sucker!

Hi Loraine! :D Long time no speak.

I've just realised how naive/gullible I am. Ella ate some hard plastic and threw it up in little chewed up bits with some blood and I shelled out money at the vets for something to coat the stomach and gut so as not to get any more damaged, and antibiotics in case infection set in. :rainbowbridge: Your vet just says feed soft food and watch him. Man am I a sucker!

Hi Horty, cost me $33.00 to have him thoroughly checked out at the vet (pensioner rate :D ) just to be on the safe side, as I really was not 100% sure that it was sick and not poo. Being about 99% sure I had watched him and knew he was feeling off colour. You need to control that wild animal called Ella :( , my friend's dog kept eating plastic and evenutally ended up having to have an operation to remove a bit from his intestines :o Now that cost a small fortune, lets hope that Ella sicks up all of her plastic lunch (you really should feed her more often :eek: )

My Zedley threw up blood four times yesterday :rainbowbridge: The day before he had eaten a whole chicken wing (it fell of the kitchen side whilst I was one handedly trying to remove the tips). He is on a BARF diet and regularly gets the wing tips and necks and sometimes a whole wing. We were out for the first three upchucks so I could not inspect too closely, the fourth was in the kitchen so I could see that is was red/brownish blood with no lumpy bits.

He was a bit off colour yesterday, but slept fine (beside me on the bed) and appears to be OK today, no sick so far. I have spoken to the vet, and I can take him this arvo if he is not good.

I am just wondering if he could have just scraped his esophagus or stomach with the bone, and mayne things will right themselves.

Sorry for any errors or nto making sesnce as I only have one hand available ATM, have a cast on the left hand after on operation.

TIA for any insight.

Hi Loraine,

chances are after the 3 sick-ups he may have created a tiny tear in the lining of his oesophagus (from the violence of spasms during vomiting) - this is quite common in humans also - called a Mallory Weiss tear.... most notable in those vomiting after a good night out drinking LOL

Soft diet is good...... it may have been a bit of bone but I am picking a tear - as that's more common.

You don't do anything for people either..... (I am a Gastro Nurse)

Rae

My Zedley threw up blood four times yesterday :cheer: The day before he had eaten a whole chicken wing (it fell of the kitchen side whilst I was one handedly trying to remove the tips). He is on a BARF diet and regularly gets the wing tips and necks and sometimes a whole wing. We were out for the first three upchucks so I could not inspect too closely, the fourth was in the kitchen so I could see that is was red/brownish blood with no lumpy bits.

TIA for any insight.

Hi Loraine,

chances are after the 3 sick-ups he may have created a tiny tear in the lining of his oesophagus (from the violence of spasms during vomiting) - this is quite common in humans also - called a Mallory Weiss tear.... most notable in those vomiting after a good night out drinking LOL

Soft diet is good...... it may have been a bit of bone but I am picking a tear - as that's more common.

You don't do anything for people either..... (I am a Gastro Nurse)

Rae

Thanks Rae, I just wish the devils could speak English :cheer: