"gracie' Given All Clear From Vet

Hi one and all

4 weeks ago our homebred Rough Collie "Gracie" brought in a dead mouse.

As I was not sure whether or not it had been baited I took both Gracie and her Mum "Phoebe" to our Vet for clotting blood tests( first Vet I phoned was very blaise about the whole thing and said "don't worry , juts keep an eye on her". My gut told me this was not right so I phoned the other Vet and their advice was bring both dogs in asap for activated clotting blood tests).( This was all happening whilst my Dad was in hospital adn i was very ill also)

Phoebe's blood clotted in the normal time( 95 seconds) but Gracie took a little longer. I had to take Gracie back a few days later for a second blood test- which was not good. It took 170 seconds for Gracie's blood to form a clot( nearly twice the normal limit) so our Vet put her on a course of Vitamin K tablets for 3 weeks( twice a day).( had I listened to the first Vet Gracie woulld have almost certainly died with internal bleeding!)

This morning I had to take Gracie back to the Vet for a follow-up blood test to see if the Vitamin K had worked( oh boy was I a nervous wreck). Our Vet did the blood test and brough Gracie out and said with a smile" she is all normal again".

I am glad I went with my gut instinct and sought a second opinion. The other Vet will not get my business again as this "error of judgement" could have cost my dog her life.This is the 2nd big error that Clinic have made with one of our dogs, the first one actually did result in the death of one of our furkids.

Just had to share my good news with all my dear friends.

Colleen

Edited by InspectorRex

Loraine, I have learnt over the years to always go with the gut instinct with both our health and the dogs.

Clyde- as far as I know no long term side effects( I hope not anyway)

Yes it is excellent news and it is a good warning for others as with the weird weather we are having in Vic rodents are about.