Conjunctivitis

Hi Guys,

Another Gypsy problem... she seems to have a bit of conjunctivitis. I noticed late on Friday night that there was a bit of pus and weeping coming from one of her eyes, I had a closer look and she had some sand in her eye which is what I think has caused it. My vet was closed all weekend so I just got some saline solution from the chemist (for eyes and wounds) and I have been cleaning her eye regularly all weekend.

The weeping and pus has improved a lot since then and there is hardly any now, but she is still a bit light sensitive and very bloodshot in the eye.

So my question is, should I take her to the vet or, given the improvement, should I just keep doing what I'm doing and don't worry about taking her to the vet?

I really hate seeing her like this, all squinty and pathetic, but she does seem to be getting better...

Thanks

Stacey

Edited by StaceyB

Poor Gypsy :(

I'd take her to the vet just incase.

Mya was scratching her eye and it became a little swollen. I kept it clean for a few days and it cleared up but i took her to the vet anyway. They checked to make sure her tearducts werent blocked and gave me a cream just incase.

Give her extra cuddles from us please? She's a lovely girl :)

Thanks RiverStar.

I've just had a chat to the vet over the phone, she think I should keep up with washing it regularly and see if she gets any better over the next 2 or 3 days - if she gets worse take her in ASAP and take her in if there is no change by Wednesday night.

She thinks that as long as the pus has cleared up it looks like any infection is starting to clear up on it's own.

I might still try to get an appointment at the local vets, I've never used them before, but the normal vet a fair way from home and it means Gypsy has to stay in all day while I'm at work and it's a pain to get appointments because I'm supposed to start work at 8 and the vet doesn't open till 8.30, and the after hours office won't make appointments for the general practice.

I've booked her into the local vet this evening to just make sure she's ok.

She is outside today while we are at work, but our yard has a huge tree with plenty of shade for her and she has access to our patio with is completely enclosed and undercover, so she has no shortage of places to hide from bright light - but our house mate will be home from work very soon and he will let her in.

Guest Lofty

There's not much salt water can't help (provided it is used in the correct ratio) but for peace of mind the vet is good. I hope Gypsy is well again soon. :hug:

I've found that Brolene (human eye ointment) works wonderfully well for doggy conjunctivitis and eye irritation/scratches after the irritant has been removed. My vet has checked the active ingredients and declared it safe for use on dogs - and it's a whole lot cheaper (and works faster) than anything you'll get prescribed from the vet...

T.

We just got back from the vet, and I'm glad I decided to take her tonight. She has an ulcer on her eye, we've been given some antibiotics and anti-inflammatory eye drops and the vet wants to see her again on Wednesday. She also has a victorian collar to stop any rubbing.

If there is no improvement she will have to be sedated so the vet can have a good look under the eye lids and see if there is anything else there.

On the up side, we got a lovely Rogz collar for $10 and matching lead for $15 because her normal collar wont go through the victorian collar.

She is looking heaps better today! :shrug:

She is much less bloodshot and not sensitive to light anymore, there is still a bit of discharge. I would say she's about 60% better than yesterday!

I'm glad she's getting better - dogs in elizabethan collars are never happy chappies!

Does she have trouble picking things up? Zero would try to sniff the ground and would drag the whole thig along the ground as he did! We were a little mean and called him Zero McBucketface or Bucket Dog for the couple of weeks he had the stitches from his (very invasive) desexing (stupid old abusive owners!)... I wish I'd gotten photos of him but every time I pulled out the camera, he was off up the back yard cowering (holding anything in your hands used to frighten him - but now he's all good)

I'm glad she's getting better - dogs in elizabethan collars are never happy chappies!

Does she have trouble picking things up? Zero would try to sniff the ground and would drag the whole thig along the ground as he did! We were a little mean and called him Zero McBucketface or Bucket Dog for the couple of weeks he had the stitches from his (very invasive) desexing (stupid old abusive owners!)... I wish I'd gotten photos of him but every time I pulled out the camera, he was off up the back yard cowering (holding anything in your hands used to frighten him - but now he's all good)

You feel so sorry for them, but you can't help but laugh at them - they just look so silly!

Good to hear she's improving! :rofl:

Kaiser had one of those collars on when he had an operation to remove grass seeds in his skin. He kept bashing into the doorway. :) He never learned to walk through the MIDDLE, he always walked to one side. I had to hold it together with electrical tape towards the end!