Our Labrador Puppy

labmummy

We picked up our little boy 'Harry' last Friday. ;) Trip home was better than we could have hoped for. He just slept the whole way!

We bought a large crate and were going to seperate it so as to make it smaller while he is a puppy but never got around to doing it. Thought we would put him in it anyway and see how he goes with the toileting side of things.

He has not had one accident!

He will give a bit of a whinge and once he is quiet for a minute or two we let him out and take him straight outside. He will do his business and then gets all excited when we praise him. Even of a night he will do the same thing.

Harry's first two nights, he cried and whinged but we just tried ignoring unless it got really bad and then we took him outside in case he needed a wee or poo, which he always did. Last night he never made a sound all night. I actually woke up with a fright this morning and thought something bad had happened to him. Walked into the laundry and he just sat up and looked at me, tail started wagging and I raced him outside. He seemed to pee forever, poor little thing.

After all of my rambling, my point is, I just can't believe how easily he got used to his new home. We had set ourselves up for atleast a couple of weeks of whinging and at least a couple of months of toileting mishaps.

Are labrador puppies all this easy or are we just lucky.

This our little guy Harry:-

Harry016.jpg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We picked up our little boy 'Harry' last Friday. ;) Trip home was better than we could have hoped for. He just slept the whole way!

We bought a large crate and were going to seperate it so as to make it smaller while he is a puppy but never got around to doing it. Thought we would put him in it anyway and see how he goes with the toileting side of things.

He has not had one accident!

He will give a bit of a whinge and once he is quiet for a minute or two we let him out and take him straight outside. He will do his business and then gets all excited when we praise him. Even of a night he will do the same thing.

Harry's first two nights, he cried and whinged but we just tried ignoring unless it got really bad and then we took him outside in case he needed a wee or poo, which he always did. Last night he never made a sound all night. I actually woke up with a fright this morning and thought something bad had happened to him. Walked into the laundry and he just sat up and looked at me, tail started wagging and I raced him outside. He seemed to pee forever, poor little thing.

After all of my rambling, my point is, I just can't believe how easily he got used to his new home. We had set ourselves up for atleast a couple of weeks of whinging and at least a couple of months of toileting mishaps.

Are labrador puppies all this easy or are we just lucky.

This our little guy Harry:-

Harry016.jpg

He's just beautiful!! We pick up our Lab puppy (Daphne) tomorrow. I'm so excited and only hope we have it fairly trouble free too! I'll be sure to let you know how it goes for us too!

Some puppies are angels.. they take to training like a duck to water, never chew anything and become happy well mannered adults with no major upsets along the way. ;)

Some are the spawn of Satan - if there's trouble they'll find it, they make you feel like a total dunce and you wonder whether your sanity is intact and why you wanted a dog in the first place. :confused: With time and effort they also grow into happy well mannered adults.

Some puppies are schizo and alternate between these states.

And they don't tend to look any different. ;)

I see a gleam in those innocent eyes.. I reckon he'll give you a few moments of hell along the way. :o

Edited by poodlefan

Harry is absolutely gorgeous and you will have a liftetime of fun with him.

What you have done is make a really positive start with him. Not all pups are that easy when you take them to a new home but you started in the right direction from the beginning. Make sure you keep the boundaries clear at all times and he will know what he can and can't do. Also make sure he is never bored, because bored puppies, especially Labradors, can be very destructive.

Good luck and more photos are he grows would be wonderful.

Yep its the reflection of the window LOL

We have had some angelic moments and some devilish moments in our life i can assure you of that , but the angelic far outway the devilish :confused: .

And I totally agree any dog that is bored becomes destructive, especially a lab.

Shoes were a huge thing with ours and when we thought we had it under control and left a pair down ooops not good lol unless you only have one foot. ;)

You will have to keep us up to date on the labrador section aswell. And tell us all the good and naughty things he does :o

Hey labmummy, have you read "Marley and Me"? It's a must for all dog lovers... so funny and poignant, and really well written. The love this author had for his dog was truly unconditional... lol!

My brother has a lab called Kane who is the perfect boy like your Harry... I have a Marley... her name is Trouble... errr! But I wouldn't trade her for anything in the world...

T.

:shrug: Hmmmm can I take back what I wrote about Harry? He seems to have come out of his shell :shrug: Maybe you were right about that glint in his eyes :)

This morning in my rush to get the kids ready for school and on time Harry decided to play tug a war with my daughter and her sock! I was swift to put a stop to it but he now has decided that socks are fair game. I have not long finished folding up clothes. I came out from putting away one pile and found Harry laying amongst the knickers and socks having a wonderful time with a rolled up pair of socks. The look on his face when he saw me was priceless ;) I had stop myself from laughing long enough to tell him no and pick everything up. He is now chewing on his kong with peanut butter.

tdierikx I have actually just bought a copy of that book. Waiting for it to be delivered. Your pup looks so much like mine.

Will definately post more photos along the way and will wander into the lab room too.

Aww Harry has just put himself to bed in his crate.

Hmm maybe wishful thinking will turn him back into the good little boy who just wanted lots of cuddles ;)

LM:

Hmm maybe wishful thinking will turn him back into the good little boy who just wanted lots of cuddles

Sounds like you've got one of the schizo angel/Satan spawn puppies. :shrug:

Puppies always angelic when they're sleeping. :shrug: I like the little demons.. those clever, active minds are fun to train.

I'd highly recommend you add a copy of The Perfect Puppy by Gwen Bailey to your reading list.. it's a wonderful book about raising puppies to be the adults you want to live with. It's worth the purchase price to have it on hand. Puppies for Dummies and Dog Training for Dummies are also not bad.

I'd also highly recommend formal obedience training for a Lab.. they often excel at it, once they grow a brain.

Edited by poodlefan

:) once they grow a brain !

My choc lab was one of those that didnt seem to "grow a brain" till he was 2.5 . Sure he was trained at some things and totally didnt get others. Or was so ditzy and hyper he just didnt care lol ,My black lab was total opposite, she did what puppies do and chewed things and dug holes but she seemed to mature alot faster, they say that about women too dont they?? :shrug:

My chocolate boy would dig the hole just to get the reaction even if it wasnt the one he was hoping...... adhd comes to mind lol, Now tho he has settled down .

See labmummy this is what makes memories, if he wasnt in ya knickers chewing socks you wouldnt have had that laugh this morning :wink: :shrug:

Edited by kalonu

Harry is really cute.

I must say, our little Izzy was very similar. She had an accident on her first night at home in her crate but never had another accident in her crate, since. She never cried all through the night.

I was prepared for the worst - I had a puppy when I lived at home and he cried all night, so I was ready. I had to check her the next morning to make sure she was ok because she didn't make a sound.

Izzy is still a very good girl, no destructive chewing or digging - we are very lucky.

Good luck with your little Harry.

Yes we did!!!! How is your pup? Did you get a male or female? How did you find the breeder? How exciting you have Harry's sister or brother :rofl:

I thought so! We bought a chocolate boy (his name is Cooby - pretty original hey but the kids wanted Scooby so we compromised :rofl: Mal had originally sent me a photo of Harry instead of Cooby and when we signed the register on Saturday I saw that Harry was collected on the Friday. I found Mal pretty good if a little laid back I guess. Are you using the diet he provided (horse food and chicken mince)? We are and find Cooby is going well on it (he also loves raw carrot sticks). Cooby also travelled very well home (2 1/2 hour drive back to Brisbane) with no mess at all. We have Cooby sleeping on our back deck and he went great the first night (no sound at all and only one pee), howled the second night (so we put him in the corner of our bedroom) and since returning him to the back deck on the third night he hasn't whinged or done any toilet mishaps at all. So I'm thinking we might have been lucky and got a good pup althought I don't want to speak too soon :eek: About the only thing I have to be on top of is getting to his poo before he eats it...does Harry do this? I'll send through pics as soon as I figure out new camera....

horse food and chicken mince

:rofl:

Is there any bone in that chicken mince? That's not a very balanced diet to raise a youngster on. :rofl:

Being new to having a puppy I wasn't sure myself but guess can only follow what the breeder recommended? Cooby has Coprice Horse Pellets cereal morning and night with raw chicken mince for lunch (the whole carcass is minced). Apparently most commercial dog foods have by-meat products/slush in them whereas the Corprice Horse Pellets are based on rice and rice pollard and fortified with vitamins and minerals. The chicken mince is high in calcium and we also give raw chicken necks as a snack. He seems to be going well on it ..... and it's a huge cost saving compared to the commercial products around :eek: