Questions For Groomers

I've never been to a groomers and was wondering what kinds of things you do? Do most places just do the basic clipping, wash and nail trimming or do you offer "styling" or dye jobs etc? Any pics of styles/etc you've done would be nifty!

At my salon we provide just about everything. :mad

Washing, drying, ears, nails, basic clipping, breed specific clipping, styling, Hand scissoring, hand stripping, Coat dyeing, Aromatherapy treatments, conditioner treatments, flea treatments ummm and probably a whole lot more I just cant think of at this time of the day :laugh: .

We also sell a good range of products including eagle pack, flea treatments and fancy collars etc.

At my salon we provide just about everything. :mad

Washing, drying, ears, nails, basic clipping, breed specific clipping, styling, Hand scissoring, hand stripping, Coat dyeing, Aromatherapy treatments, conditioner treatments, flea treatments ummm and probably a whole lot more I just cant think of at this time of the day :laugh: .

We also sell a good range of products including eagle pack, flea treatments and fancy collars etc.

All you wonderful people who do handstripping, why aren't you in Sydney????!!!! or at least within 2 hour drive of me....

Kissindra, hand stripping is pulling out the dead coat by hand - it's for double coated wiry breeds, such as Gomez - it takes a while and a lot of expertise and sore joints, it's a job to be highly respected - especially when it's done well! It's been very difficult to find someone that does it here

Some groomers I have gone to say, "oh yes, we do handstripping, we use a Furminator" this is where I turn around and say no thanks!

All you wonderful people who do handstripping, why aren't you in Sydney????!!!! or at least within 2 hour drive of me....

Kissindra, hand stripping is pulling out the dead coat by hand - it's for double coated wiry breeds, such as Gomez - it takes a while and a lot of expertise and sore joints, it's a job to be highly respected - especially when it's done well! It's been very difficult to find someone that does it here

Some groomers I have gone to say, "oh yes, we do handstripping, we use a Furminator" this is where I turn around and say no thanks!

goodness, sounds like a pain of a job! I'd first come across the term when reading about Airedale terriers I think, given they are not tiny it would be one hell of an effort to do, yet needs to be done for show condition.

goodness, sounds like a pain of a job! I'd first come across the term when reading about Airedale terriers I think, given they are not tiny it would be one hell of an effort to do, yet needs to be done for show condition.

Yes, it is a painful and specialized job - Gomez is smaller than an Airdale though!

He is not a show dog, he is neutered, but we like to keep his coat as if he was a showdog, true to breed, it provides temperature control and waterproofness - their coats tend to get soft and wavy if clipped, it's a big nono... Plus, there are so few Norfolks in this country, he may as well be a good ambassador for his breed!

I do haircuts, groom outs, bath and blowdrys and dye!

Marley had a dye recently i'll upload photos soon, he had foils put in his tail purple, blue and green :)

The kids at the park love it hehe, so does Marley he loves the attention he gets from it!

Edited by OhMarley

I'm not a groomer, but have heard lots of stories from both sides: clients and groomers.

Good advice is to get a recommendation from someone with the same breed.

A photo of how you'd like your dog to look also saves a lot of miscommunication :).

What you want isn't always possible depending on coat type and how well it's cared for (or not).