House-training Help Please

Kyra

Hi Guys

Could someone please help me with the most effective way of house-training my puppy when my OH doesn't want puppy pee pads in the house. So basically I'm doing the whole get them used to peeing outside straight away scenario. I've been taking her outside every few hours but have to lock her out otherwise she just flops down next to me and won't do anything :cooldance: so she gets locked out for about 10 mins each time and I watch her through the window, she gets a liver treat when she's done. :rofl:

We leave the back door open 24/7 so she can pop outside whenever she needs to, however she doesn't tend to do that and has done her business a few times on the floor.. On the tiles though so it's been easy to clean up! :eek: So is there any other ways I should or could go about this to make it go smoother? :rofl:

You can tell I haven't had a puppy around for far too long, can't you :rofl:

Any help would be great, cheers :cooldance:

My pup wouldn't even look at the puppy pee pads. Are you using a verbal command to help your pup understand what you're asking her to do. Go outside with her rather than watching through the window (I know it's cold!) keep saying your command "do wees", "do your business", "toilet", whatever you want until she toilets. Then immediately tell her what a good dog she is and give her the treat (must be within 3 secs). If you are giving her the treat when she comes inside you are too late she would have no clue that the treat is for going to the toilet. You don't say how old your pup is so she may not have figured out how to go out yet through the doggy door and do wees and besides at night it's a scary place out there when you're a baby!

It takes a while for pups to get it - they are babies and lots of encouragement and no punishment for accidents inside. Use an enzyme spray like Urine Off to get the smell off from where they have toileted previously on the floor. You must be really vigilant for watching signs pup needs to go, sniffing the floor, circling, looking for the door outside. Take her outside straight after a sleep, straight after food and don't play with her until she's been to the toilet then you can praise, treat and play!

If she's just flopping on the ground get her interest in the grass by pointing to it, putting your fingers in it, moving it, talking in an excited voice to "do wees" so she gets her nose down and starts sniffing. Take her to the same spot each time so she smells her urine in the grass and she'll get the message with time. Just be patient, she'll get there!

You don't say how old your pup is so she may not have figured out how to go out yet through the doggy door and do wees and besides at night it's a scary place out there when you're a baby!

She is 9 weeks old :thumbsup: I didn't make it too clear what I meant regarding the back door, there's no doggy flap we just leave the sliding door open for her to come and go as she pleases. I'll make sure I go outside with her from now on, sounds like a much better idea. :thumbsup: So definitely don't punish her for peeing inside? Sorry if I seem a bit thick, my other dogs have been seniors so already knew where to go! :rolleyes:

It's so much more stressful when they're actually home! You think you have everything under control and then it doesn't quite go as planned.. I'm sure we'll get it sorted out. :rolleyes:

You need to be taking her out far more often - once an hour, straight after she wakes up, eats, or has a play session. Stand still and don't initiate play or say anything other than your toileting command, then, when she has done it, gets a treat and a play. I wouldn't worry about the back door at this stage - she's still learning that outside is where to go, so she can't put the second step, as in going through the door to get outside, together until she gets the first bit - it's up to you to make sure she goes through the door :thumbsup:

Thank you.. I will do :) I have another question, I work night shifts and leave around 9pm and get home around 4am at the latest, I don't have a puppy pen/crate so was wondering if I pop her in the spare bathroom for that period of time, if she will just stress or should be fine? I'm planning on leaving her in there for 15 mins every few hours to see how she goes however I'm unsure if she'll think she's being punished for something? :)

I was taking my pup out every 2 hours for a widdle.. once he was older id make him hold on alil longer, also took them out after a meal so they can do a poo... i had him house trained by the age of 5 months old ( i think) but i was still taking him out for his 5am widdle.. but now there last widdle is about 9pm and then next one when i get outa bed (7am -9am).. they are really good!

I had a baby gate up for when i was out like went to the shops or whatever... i had them in my bathroom with water n newspaper down,toys

Thank you.. I will do :rock: I have another question, I work night shifts and leave around 9pm and get home around 4am at the latest, I don't have a puppy pen/crate so was wondering if I pop her in the spare bathroom for that period of time, if she will just stress or should be fine? I'm planning on leaving her in there for 15 mins every few hours to see how she goes however I'm unsure if she'll think she's being punished for something? :thumbsup:

Definitely get her used to the bathroom when you are home, giving her time on her own in there. Make it a nice place to be with her bed, chew toys, some nice treats etc. You might want to leave a radio on for some background noise too. Presumably you're using newspaper for toileting? Is this where she is to sleep at nights? (IE even when you aren't on night shift?) Where will she be when you sleep during the day?

I agree that she's not being taken out often enough for the toilet at the moment and that you need to stay with her when she toilets outside and immediately praise her so she understands that eliminating outside is a great thing to do. And no, never punish her for toileting inside - if she does that, it's your fault for not putting her outside in time. :laugh: If you do punish her after the event, she'll have no idea what she's done wrong and if you punish her as she's doing it, she'll just learn that it's bad to do it in front of you and will sneak off to do it. If you still find that she's having lots of accidents, you may need to lessen the areas that she has access to inside the house and gradually increase them again as she gets better.

Good luck :D

Hey there Tashki, right from the night we bought Arwyn home we put her outside on the grassed area to go to the toilet, everytime we took her out we would stand and wait with her.

We used a specific word she could associate going to the toilet with, and now just after 2 weeks she goes right on the spot, if she doesnt need to go she'll just stand and look up at us,and everytime she goes we make the biggest fuss.

We take her out every half hr, and have got it down pat in the mornings, because she's held on through the night she'll have roughly 3 toilet stops within 10 minutes of each other after getting up in the mornings.

I was stressing out just at the thought of leaving Arwyn at home alone, finally when the morning came I had everything prepared, toys, crate, frozen chicken neck, radio, water bla bla bla, I ended up coming home after just an 1hr and a bit to find her asleep outside on her bed, toys sprawled all over the place.

If your planning on putting Kyra in the bathroom I'd definately be starting to associate the bathroom as a positive comfortable place for her to be, you might want to put a radio in with her so she's got something to listen to, just a suggestion anyway, I always leave either the T.V or one of the stereo's going while we're out.

Good luck Tashki, and let us know how you go hey? good luck :rolleyes:

Edited by BlitznBear

Can I ask a question - my puppy is newly adopted and doesn't like to be left alone in his little den which I have set up ... I have been leaving him when he is crying as that is what I have been told to do - so I look in on him - but don't set him see me..... BUT what do I do in this circumstance - he sooks when he wakes up - I am told to take him out for a look run when he wakes - but not touch him when sooking.... Do I touch him? Or wait until he stops sooking (and probably already relieved himself on the newspaper).

BUT what do I do in this circumstance - he sooks when he wakes up - I am told to take him out for a look run when he wakes - but not touch him when sooking.... Do I touch him? Or wait until he stops sooking (and probably already relieved himself on the newspaper).

Puppies always urinate on awakening, take your puppy outside as soon as he wakes up, after eating, after playing and about every 3/4 hour in between. Every time he urinates on the newspaper the behaviour is reinforced so do your very best to avoid this happening, he's sooking when he wakes up because he wants to go so make sure that you take him out immediately, stay with him till he goes and then lots of praise.

Can I ask a question - my puppy is newly adopted and doesn't like to be left alone in his little den which I have set up ... I have been leaving him when he is crying as that is what I have been told to do - so I look in on him - but don't set him see me..... BUT what do I do in this circumstance - he sooks when he wakes up - I am told to take him out for a look run when he wakes - but not touch him when sooking.... Do I touch him? Or wait until he stops sooking (and probably already relieved himself on the newspaper).

He might not be able to see you but he might be able to hear you. No matter how quietly I creep - my pup knows exactly where I am.

On waking, take him outside. No pating, no talking, no games, no fun. Just toilet. Get him outside and say your signal ("wee wee" or whatever) and praise and reward when he goes. Then take him immediately back to his den. No talking, no patting.

Edited by Luke W

Thanks guys - so after that should I just put him back in his play pen? Is he going to be ok with that? Or should I play (at 4am) for a bit....

Aren't I re-inforcing the crying though? Or is that the no patting or anything .......

If he's waking up at 4am I'd just put him straight back, no playing but I would give a kong with a bit of peanut butter or something else for pup to keep occupied until he drifted off to sleep. Your pup will learn to settle himself down more easily then. There will probably be whining and crying but just ignore. If your pup wakes up and starts crying it is usually a signal he needs to go. If you don't console him and just take him straight out to the toilet and don't play no you're not reinforcing the crying, but he will learn that if he cries he gets taken outside and not played with until he toilets.

I can only speak about my experience with my pup.

I look at it as: taking him out to the toilet when he cries is re-inforcing 'cry for toilet'. I realise it's not quite that simple though.

Mine only cries during the night when he wants to go to the toilet. Otherwise he's either sleeping or chewing on his toys.

You have another option...

Ignore ALL crying and take him out every hour without fail. If he's crying, wait until he stops for 5 minutes THEN take him out. That way, you don't re-inforce the "crying gets me out of the pen". But you also don't re-inforce 'crying gets me to the toilet' either, which yu might actually want.

It didn't take my pup long to learn that crying gets him to the toilet but that's it...no play, no fun, just toilet.

Being QUIET gets him out of the pen for fun and games.

Edited by Luke W

You have another option...

Ignore ALL crying and take him out every hour without fail. If he's crying, wait until he stops for 5 minutes THEN take him out. That way, you don't re-inforce the "crying gets me out of the pen". But you also don't re-inforce 'crying gets me to the toilet' either, which yu might actually want.

Thanks Luke - I am not really up for a hourly wake up for him or me. I will just take him out (no fun) for a wee when he wakes / cries. Three minutes and then back into the play den no matter what.

I will follow jigsaw's advice - then hopefully he will learn that cry means toilet time.

When I put him in his crate he either cries (and rips the place apart) or sleeps - there doesn't seem to be any play going on - do you think it is cos he is too young??

Edited by Papi_Searcher

When I put him in his crate he either cries (and rips the place apart) or sleeps - there doesn't seem to be any play going on - do you think it is cos he is too young??

I'm not really sure...my pup didn't really start to 'play' in his den till he was around 10 weeks old. He did chewm his chew toys almost straight away.

Ripping the place apart might just be play. Does he have toys to chew on? Remove everything from the den except his chew toys and maybe his blanket. I couldn't use paper in my pen 'cos my pup just shredded it. I have plastic sheeting on the floor.

I guess you have to make his den a nice place to be.

Feed him in there. Get in his den if you can fit...sit with him for a while and treat him. Give him toys to chew on. Kongs, hides, etc.

Praise and treat him whenever he is quiet. Wake him up to treat him. Make his den a happy place.

This helped me a lot...you can downloa dthe PDF: http://www.siriuspup.com/beforebook.html

Oh and when he cries when you put him back in his den AFTER he's been to the toilet...you KNOW it's just 'come and pay attention to me' crying.

Ignore it. Really ignore it. Don't look in on him, don't try to sneak a peak, don't tell him to be quiet from another room...totally ignore him. ANY interaction (even tyhe tinest amount) gives him attention and re-inforces that crying works.

NOTE: My opinion only and I'm no expert (but I have read some books and my puppy is fine in HIS den) :-)

Oh and when he cries when you put him back in his den AFTER he's been to the toilet...you KNOW it's just 'come and pay attention to me' crying.

Ignore it. Really ignore it. Don't look in on him, don't try to sneak a peak, don't tell him to be quiet from another room...totally ignore him. ANY interaction (even tyhe tinest amount) gives him attention and re-inforces that crying works.

NOTE: My opinion only and I'm no expert (but I have read some books and my puppy is fine in HIS den) :-)

Thanks Guys. He does chew his toys - but not in his crate - he just sooks, tires himself out and retires to the crate and sleeps.

I have that e-book and it is brilliant. But even though I read it and had best of intentions - It's very hard when you hear him sooking in the other room! I do ignore him, but it tugs at your hearts strings after 20 minutes of sooking....

Also, he loves his den (crate thingy) it's the play pen that he tale exception to. I could have him in his crate beside me - but thats not going to be the reality tomorrow when I go back to work.

Thanks again for support and advice! just want to do the right thing and be consistent.

Edited by Papi_Searcher

Praise and treat him whenever he is quiet. Wake him up to treat him. Make his den a happy place.

How long does he need to be quote for before I treat him?

I am scared to go in and wake him up / treat him when he is quiet that he will just sook when I go away!

Maaan! He is having quite a sooky session is his pen RIGHT now! 30 minutes...

Edited by Papi_Searcher

I have a great little book about puppy training.

Basically, she says that if you want pup to do his business outdoors, then teach him where to do it from the start. Don't use the newspaper or pee pad training as dog will get confused.

2. restrict pup to one area until he has learn where to do his business. set up a little den for him but never leave a dog locked up while you are at work.

3. no food or water 1 hour prior to bedtime.

feel free to pm me if you want book author.

ps/ remember that puppies cannot control themselves so it's up to you or your oh to take him outdoors asap on waking, feeding and after play.

good luck & hth a little