First Heartworm Vacc For Our Pups

CliftonPark

I was just wondering about when we should give our pups their first heartworm vaccination or if we are better to go monthly. (i.e. not such a big dose of heartworm prevention) I really worry about over vaccinating my dogs and vet has them booked to be done at 14 weeks. Does anyone think this is too young for a yearly hertworm vacc. Am I correct in that heartworm isn't something to worry about until they are 6 months of age? I was wondering if we should wait until they are a bit older for more vaccines or is it better to go monthly. I don't want to overload their little systems and we don't use flea prevention (none of my dogs have ever had fleas in over 16 years) and I'd rather treat a flea problem if it happens than add extra chemicals to their system now.

Confused on what's best :clap:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just wondering about when we should give our pups their first heartworm vaccination or if we are better to go monthly. (i.e. not such a big dose of heartworm prevention) I really worry about over vaccinating my dogs and vet has them booked to be done at 14 weeks. Does anyone think this is too young for a yearly hertworm vacc. Am I correct in that heartworm isn't something to worry about until they are 6 months of age? I was wondering if we should wait until they are a bit older for more vaccines or is it better to go monthly. I don't want to overload their little systems and we don't use flea prevention (none of my dogs have ever had fleas in over 16 years) and I'd rather treat a flea problem if it happens than add extra chemicals to their system now.

I'd stick with monthly. I did have my dogs vaccinated yearly but on veterinary and DOL advice, have reverted to monthly tabs.

Too many issues with the vaccs for me. :clap:

Guest Tess32

Do NOT give the yearly injection, it's very dangerous :clap: I'd never ever give it to such a young pup.

What kind of dog do you have? Some breeds are ivermectin sensitive.

Do NOT give the yearly injection, it's very dangerous :rolleyes: I'd never ever give it to such a young pup.

Labrador babies. Thankyou for your advice. I worry so much about too much preventive protection when it may not be necessary but also don't want to risk my babies getting heartworm. Can you help me understand the danger?

Definitely, definitely not. No way any dog, let alone a 14 month old pup should get this injection. Just go with monthly tablets.

Far to many dogs have had adverse reactions to it. Do a search in the health forum, you will find plenty of information. Your pup will be more than adequately covered with monthly tablets.

Definitely, definitely not. No way any dog, let alone a 14 month old pup should get this injection. Just go with monthly tablets.

Far to many dogs have had adverse reactions to it. Do a search in the health forum, you will find plenty of information. Your pup will be more than adequately covered with monthly tablets.

Thank you I am glad I went with my gut instincts and decided to ask before proceeding with this vacc.

:( 14 weeks!!!Id be changing my vet!!! never heard of vac for heartworm @ that age!!!!maybe 6mnths or so; but never that young :i have to agree with all other posts prior to mine ;forget the vac !!!.... go with the monthly tabs .

Guest Tess32
Do NOT give the yearly injection, it's very dangerous :( I'd never ever give it to such a young pup.

Labrador babies. Thankyou for your advice. I worry so much about too much preventive protection when it may not be necessary but also don't want to risk my babies getting heartworm. Can you help me understand the danger?

If I were you, I would change vets. A vet who would give that injection to a baby puppy is not worth the petrol money, let alone your trust.

I vaccinate minimally but when it came to heartworm I decided it was not worth the risk. While it is not EASY to catch, it is possible, and it is very difficult to treat and often the treatment kills the dog.

I decided to give my dogs the daily tablets which are not based on the 'mectin' products as while they are not risk free, I believe they are safer for long term use.

While most people do not like the annual heartworm injections, we do use them on our German Shepherds and have not as yet had any issues. Having said that, I would not use the heartworm injection on a 14 week old baby. We use monthly treatments until our guys are about 15 months of age and then start annual treatments.

If I were you, I would change vets. A vet who would give that injection to a baby puppy is not worth the petrol money, let alone your trust.

I vaccinate minimally but when it came to heartworm I decided it was not worth the risk. While it is not EASY to catch, it is possible, and it is very difficult to treat and often the treatment kills the dog.

I decided to give my dogs the daily tablets which are not based on the 'mectin' products as while they are not risk free, I believe they are safer for long term use.

Thank you so much everyone as it has really been worrying me and I have already decided I don't trust my vet now. I'm going to ring a number of other vets and seek opinions regarding this to see who gives the best answer! (now that I have an idea of the problems associated with yearly vacc)

Regarding the daily tablets could you please tell me what brand you use and is it one obtained from a vet or pet shop/supermarket? At what age do you think I should start the daily tablets please?

Guest Tess32

I use daily because I have ivermectin sensitive Collies, so I'm not saying all the monthly tabs are unsafe in general :laugh: I just prefer the daily tabs from what I have read :D

I use these: http://www.thevetshed.com.au/index.php/cPath/1_9_100

It's important to give them every single day as they are dangerous if your dog DOES contract the heartworm. Your pup is young though so you'll be fine :love:

Like others have said, I would be getting a new vet, there is NO WAY I would be giving that vaccination to a baby, I've heard alot of bad reports about it.

I actually use a monthly spot treatment called ADVOCATE, it controls fleas, mange, ear mites, all intestinal worms (except tape worm ) & of course heartworm. I like this product because it treats nearly everything in one dose, so I don't have to muck around with separate products. I just get some tapeworm tablets from my vet & treat them separatly for this every couple of months or so.

It is safe to give Advocate to a puppy after 7 weeks & I usually buy it from Pet stock, just ask the person at the counter for the puppy dose.

I have been treating my dogs with this for a few years now & they look pretty healthy to me & I've had no problems with it. :laugh:

Goodluck with whatever method you decide on .

I use daily because I have ivermectin sensitive Collies, so I'm not saying all the monthly tabs are unsafe in general :D I just prefer the daily tabs from what I have read :D

I use these: http://www.thevetshed.com.au/index.php/cPath/1_9_100

It's important to give them every single day as they are dangerous if your dog DOES contract the heartworm. Your pup is young though so you'll be fine :p

Thank you Tess32. You have obviously done your homework so I think I will follow your advice and start them on daily tablets as I do not wish to incorporate flea treament.

You actually run a big risk if you forget a day or two on the daily tablets so unless you are going to be absolutely 110% vigilant and not forget then the safest option is monthly chews/tabs for you.

Do a bit of googling on it- you have some time after all. We generally start monthly meds with pups coming into the clinic at 4mths (last puppy vaccination).

Mel.

Guest Tess32

If you go the daily tabs you just need a daily routine. I have a calendar and mark it off, but it won't suit everyone.

Guest Tess32
Is the needle very unsafe? I have seen no adverse side effects, would I be wise in 12 months time to do the monthly tabs? Also where do you get them in chew form?

Yep it is. Sometimes the side effects aren't after the initial shot. It's been responsible for MANY problems, no reason to risk it.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=65494

Edited by Tess32