Advice On Taking Action Pics

ruthless

I took a bunch of pics of Chopper at the park today. He does some really impressive jumps to catch the ball but I had real difficulty in trying to capture them. More importantly trying to capture them sharply. Here's some:

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=136010

My OH was throwing the ball. I started with my 17-55mm lens. I was doing my photography homework which was to capture movement using a range of shutter speeds from 1/500 to 1/8. I shot in manual and it wasn't for ages that I realised my shots weren't out of focus, but they were blurry cause my shutter speed was too slow. Duh! I'd changed lens to my 70-300mm by then.

I decided to forget about my assignment for now and keep concentrating on trying to get the shot I wanted. I set it to 1/3200 and started getting much better results, but none of them are really sharp. Was I using the right lens? I also have a f2.5 50mm but the focus is slow so I figured it was definitely out.

Does anyone have any pointers on how best to capture a dog chasing a ball or jumping for a ball, and how to get the focus sharp?

You should be able to get action shots with either of your lenses, just depends on what perspective you want.

What was your aperture? Remember aperture gives you depth of field, so you don't want to open up too much unless you are sure you can nail precise focus - which with a moving dog is tough! You shouldn't need to go to 1/3200 to stop action. 1/800 should be more than enough. Lowering your shutter speed will give you more options for apertures and ISO. Try dropping the shutter down a bit each time as you practice your technique as you should be able to hand hold the big lens at it's focal length (1/320 - 1/400 or so) without camera shake being a factor.

You may want to try AI server on your camera, too, as this can aid in getting the focus right where you want it on a moving subject.

Are you using the centre focus point? You can try using the whole focus grid as long as you don't have something with huge contrast in the bg (coz the camera will grab that instead of what you want it to grab).

Sometimes brindle/dark dogs can be tough to grab a sharp eye on because there is little contrast right around the eye itself - they tend to be very dark/black. Your camera wants contrast to focus - especially if you are not using the centre point (which is the most sensitive).

Practicing your panning technique will also help. Instead of trying to grab the focus at the height of the action you get your focus and move with your subject (just the camera usually, but sometimes with your feet, too) anticipating the height of the action and taking the shot (shots).

You can also try burst mode on your camera. For heavy action taking a burst of five or six frames (or whatever your camera does) can help ensure that one of the series is in focus! It eats memory and is a pain to cull sometimes due to the volume of shots, but it's another tool you can try...and sometimes you get an awesome series, to boot!

You're doing great - I like your action shots :(

Hope some of these things at least give you some ideas!

Edited by kja

You should be able to get action shots with either of your lenses, just depends on what perspective you want.

What was your aperture? Remember aperture gives you depth of field, so you don't want to open up too much unless you are sure you can nail precise focus - which with a moving dog is tough! You shouldn't need to go to 1/3200 to stop action. 1/800 should be more than enough. Lowering your shutter speed will give you more options for apertures and ISO. Try dropping the shutter down a bit each time as you practice your technique as you should be able to hand hold the big lens at it's focal length (1/320 - 1/400 or so) without camera shake being a factor.

All are ISO 400

Shot 1:

1/3200 f5.6

Shot 2:

same

Shot 3:

1/3200 f5.0

Shot 4:

same

Shot 5:

1/3200 f4.5

Shot 6:

1/3200 f5.0

That makes sense now. The depth of field was too shallow :p

You may want to try AI server on your camera, too, as this can aid in getting the focus right where you want it on a moving subject.

Are you using the centre focus point? You can try using the whole focus grid as long as you don't have something with huge contrast in the bg (coz the camera will grab that instead of what you want it to grab).

Sometimes brindle/dark dogs can be tough to grab a sharp eye on because there is little contrast right around the eye itself - they tend to be very dark/black. Your camera wants contrast to focus - especially if you are not using the centre point (which is the most sensitive).

Practicing your panning technique will also help. Instead of trying to grab the focus at the height of the action you get your focus and move with your subject (just the camera usually, but sometimes with your feet, too) anticipating the height of the action and taking the shot (shots).

You can also try burst mode on your camera. For heavy action taking a burst of five or six frames (or whatever your camera does) can help ensure that one of the series is in focus! It eats memory and is a pain to cull sometimes due to the volume of shots, but it's another tool you can try...and sometimes you get an awesome series, to boot!

You're doing great - I like your action shots :eek:

Hope some of these things at least give you some ideas!

I was using AI servo and burst mode. I had over 200 pics to wade through :)

I'm not sure what the focus point is, whatever's standard on the 30D, cause I haven't changed it.

I was trying to move with Chopper, but he's like a bloody greyhound! Maybe I'll try with Ivan the sloth next time :)

I guess it's just a case of keep practicing! Thanks for your help :(

In addition to the previous suggestions, I'd try pre-focusing. Put it onto manual focus, find a spot (some grass or whatever) where you want to take the image and focus on that. Then just go for it when the dog is approaching that spot! I'd also go for a slightly wider angle if you can as a longer lens will increase the risk of camera shake unless you're using a very fast shutter speed.

Edited by Rusty's Dad

Least Chopper was running.

I try and get Riley to run after a ball so I can take some shots and he just stands there staring at me :D

This is both of my girls, too. No camera? Tilly will chase and run and play and cavort. Add camera. Sit and look goofy - or attempt to lick the lens :D

OK for a sunny day put the camera on the following settings in manual - leave the lens on autofocus its too difficult to manually focus on a fast moving dog (only exception is if you are taking a pic over an agility jump then be at a 45 degree angle to the jump and focus on the middle then pan with the dog as it goes over the jump and take the pic mid flight).

400 ISO

shutter speed 1/1000th (any slower it will not have a chance of pin sharp dogs move quick)

Aperture F8 (gives you more leeway with depth of field focus than 5.6 etc)

AI Servo (as kja said). This is said to lock onto the moving subject you are panning with and 'predicts' the focus. Essential for racehorses so assume same with moving dogs (One shot setting will not get the focus right on a moving object).

Try these settings first. In AI Servo the camera sould automatically use the centre focus point only (check the manual details for AI Servo as the 40D automatically does this). If it doesnt automatically use only the centre focus point you need to change it but dont forget to change it back once you have finished the action pics.

If its not sunny up the ISO to 800 (or whatever the next one or two stops up are) and or drop the aperture try to change the shutter speed as only a last resort as its the speed that freezes the action.

Edited by rubiton

Thanks!

Am I asking too much looking for pin sharp? I noticed some professional Lure Coursing pics I have look awesome but aren't as sharp up close as I used to think they were.

I think a lot of my problem yesterday was I didn't know where to stand to get the best shot. Over Easter I told my OH to throw the ball towards me and he threw it so close that Chopper ran into me full force and I busted my finger and broke my camera :D I had to be very careful with my ball throwing instructions yesterday!!

Have you any action shots to bring to the show and tell Rubiton? :D

photo link

Go to this link and put in dog as the key word and type in member ID 1483 on the right.

I can't link to the actual images as they have to protect them from being copied.

The black dog in mid air on page two and mid roll on the third roll on page three weretaken with a 10D on the settings suggeted. Where she looks like she is mid roll she was going from drop position to leaping up to catch food. Took a while to work out how her hid end got that high in a millisecond.

Edited by rubiton

My dog is the black lab cross one. The golden retriever on the first two pages was my parents dog - lived til he was 17.

There is a couple of pics of Ness and I think one of Zephyr in that group as well.

My dog is the black lab cross one. The golden retriever on the first two pages was my parents dog - lived til he was 17.

There is a couple of pics of Ness and I think one of Zephyr in that group as well.

Ah the joys of looking at a locals pics :p

I can see quite a few familiar dogs in there. Great pictures :laugh:

LOL yep I found 3 pics of my girl. She is drop dead gorgeous but then I am biased. Hmmmm might have to pay for you to take some of my new little one when I get her :laugh: . There are some great shots and as piper mentioned its funny going through and placing names with faces.

I have no advice to offer you as I am still very much on my L's. Here are a couple of pics I took at a local agility comp the other weekend. I woosed out and used sport mode for most of them.... :laugh:

Edited by JAG

That last one is a great shot JAG. Its is actually harder to get the pic from head on than it is side on.

If I can ever get to another DOL SA meet up will have to take a few more pics with the new camera hopefully it might be sunny next time (animals look even nicer when the sun is out).

Thanks Rubiton. It was a pure fluke and I don't mind admitting it :rolleyes: Mind you the owner loved it when I printed it out for her. I wish I had someone in the know up here to teach me properly. I am not much good with the book and then going out into the world to practice. I am a hands on learner :o