Side Effects Cephalexin

Hello,

I'm fairly new to the forum and was wondering if anyone could tell me the side effects of Canine Caphalexin. "Remy" my Border Collie has been taking them for about 4 days now. He was presribed these and Macrolone for what the vet tells me is a reaction to "wandering jew".

His tummy was very inflamed and hot to touch, he also had some little blistery like break outs that have since healed. I bathed him last weekend with Aleo Vera shampoo for dogs as well. Not sure where he came into contact with this plant family, we don't have any that I'm aware of in our garden as I know what it looks like, as well I believe "Moses in the cradle" is also a version of this plant.

Vet nurse/assistant called me yesterday to enquire how things were going... Told her he wasn't too interested in anything but sleeping. Asked me if his back legs were weak and if he was having trouble getting up... "No not at all" I replied... She spoke to the vet who said to reduce his intake of Macrolone, which I have done.

I'm figuring both these drugs are whats causing all this sleepiness, but am worried about other effects. Lost my previous 9 year old border to Tumours on the Spine last year and it was heart breaking. Can't bare for anything to happen to my new boy, am so very attached to him.

Found it difficult to find any info about Canine Caphalexin on the net.

Thanks in advance. Appreciate your responses.

Edited by Bernadine

Hello,

I'm fairly new to the forum and was wondering if anyone could tell me the side effects of Canine Caphalexin. "Remy" my Border Collie has been taking them for about 4 days now. He was presribed these and Macrolone for what the vet tells me is a reaction to "wandering jew".

His tummy was very inflamed and hot to touch, he also had some little blistery like break outs that have since healed. I bathed him last weekend with Aleo Vera shampoo for dogs as well. Not sure where he came into contact with this plant family, we don't have any that I'm aware of in our garden as I know what it looks like, as well I believe "Moses in the cradle" is also a version of this plant.

Vet nurse/assistant called me yesterday to enquire how things were going... Told her he wasn't too interested in anything but sleeping. Asked me if his back legs were weak and if he was having trouble getting up... "No not at all" I replied... She spoke to the vet who said to reduce his intake of Macrolone, which I have done.

I'm figuring both these drugs are whats causing all this sleepiness, but am worried about other effects. Lost my previous 9 year old border to Tumours on the Spine last year and it was heart breaking. Can't bare for anything to happen to my new boy, am so very attached to him.

Found it difficult to find any info about Canine Caphalexin on the net.

Thanks in advance. Appreciate your responses.

Bump..... anyone?

we have used it with no issues but common sense is all drugs have some form of side effects & for some animals/humans it can be minor to major.

We are very funny when it comes to meds & like to know all the ins & outs & any alternatives & i do wish vets would inform clients of what to watch for after all its not like they give the fact sheet with these drugs

Thanks for the responses. Yes indeed I agree "Safety Data Sheets" should be handed out with any drugs. Who knows what clashes with what - medication or otherwise and vets aren't fool proof. He's not as drousy today, but still cranky, which is so unlike him and he wasn't cranky before he started taking all this stuff. Cortisone medication was cut in half, but also I don't believe that he needs to be taking cortisone as well as the Caphalexin. He didn't seem to be in any pain and was acting normal 4 days ago.... Anyway shall see how he behaves over the weekend.

send a PM to RAPPIE- she is a Vet and can tell you all about the drugs you have mentioned

Personally I would get the dog of Macrolone asap- it is known for causing kidney damage and other side effects.it caused the demise of one of my furkids many years ago and I will not give it to any of my dogs

Cephlexin can cause side effects as with any drug. Ring on of the 24 hr Vet Clinics and speak to a Vet, at the very least get some reassurance

Cephalexin is a commonly dispensed antibiotics - the most common sides effects we see are signs of a gastrointestinal upset such as nausea, vomiting or diarrhoea. I can't take it as I break out in severe urticaria (hives).

Macrolone is prednisolone and although the most common side effects we see are an increase in water intake and appetite, I have had several clients mention behavioural changes in their dogs while they are on the medication - usually either lethargy or seeming more irritable than usual. These effects are short term, and wherever possible I try to avoid long term use of steroids because they are not without side effects (this does not mean that steroids do not have appropriate uses, or cannot be used safely). It is important that once a course of steroid treatment has been started, it shouldn't be stopped suddenly - we always try to taper the dose down before stopping as the body reduces the level of production of its own steroids fairly quickly once there is an exogenous source. Leaving the body without ANY steroids is a bad thing.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions. If you have immediate concerns then speak to your vet before you alter the treatment plan.

Thanks Rappie.

Remy is back to his old self today, rushing about playing ball etc. His inflammation / rash has pretty much disappeared, just a very tiny patch left and its fading too. No sign of crankiness, he's not sleeping all day and is obeying my commands. Worried me somewhat when he growled at me when asked to come or sit a few days back.

Just has one more day of Cephalexin, I've weaned him of the Macrolone which was what I figured was causing the mood swings.

PS I found a few stray bits of wandering jew hanging through the neighbours fence. Remy chases his ball down the side of the house, so I figure that's where he came into contact with it. Anyway all removed now.

Don't forget..it may have been an infection/temperature, plus pain causing him to feel so bad...

I don't know if it's different with dogs..but if/when I get hives..I get shivery, and irritable, and very 'flat'.

Glad he is on the mend again!!

ps: keep some ester C or calcium ascorbate handy.. a hefty dose can help with allergy.

*blushes* Thanks InspectorRex :laugh:

As a note for everyone else - I read the forum most days but often don't post if everything seems "under control". However feel free to PM me or whatever if you want to ask anything.

Remember that I can't give specific advice on the forum, but happy to help out where I can.