Canon Rebates Are Now On

kja

If anyone is looking to add a 40D or 5D to their collection, now may be the time to do it. There are some good rebates happening. They are instant so even Aussies can take advantage of the price drops :laugh:

40D body only is ranging from $919 (at Canoga Camera) to about $950ish. That's an awesome price. There are also kits (40D + 28-135 IS for about $1200 ish) available for both the 40D and 5D. Even if you go over the $1000 mark for importing, you'll still be ahead of the game.

If you also have a an older digital Rebel, you may be able to get an additional $50 off the 40D or 5D, too. See Canon's site for details.

I had the 40D with 28-135 lens drop into my Amazon box today for a total of $1075 and I'll probably pull the trigger this afternoon on it once my friend decides which printer she wants to add to the mix :(

Just thought I'd pass it along for those who haven't seen it.

All prices are USD, but the Aussie dollar is strong so it's a very good time to buy.

The 30D is great...the 40D is fan-freakin-tab-ulous :( Especially for an extra grey nurse!

Lots of choices out there...these are the only body rebates available at the moment.

I haven't used it yet. Haven't used my new L 70-200mm either. Bought a 1.4 Canon teleconverter for that too - all from the US. I can't believe the service. I ordered a 30D on a Thursday and it arrived on the Monday! I just chose normal delivery as well. The teleconverter arrived in 3 days as well. The 70-200mm I had to wait for as my boss got it for me on his New York trip.

Looking forward to trying them all out. When I don't know. I bought them as I want great gear to take to Scotland in September and for travel photos generally. That's all I'm interested in really. I've had a play around so I know how they all work though.

Just need to get a tripod that will support all the weight - heavy stuff the above gear.

Woohoo on getting the new gear :( I love getting new stuff but I find it hard to find time to play. I have a couple of lenses I bought last year that haven't seen nearly enough use at all. Must remedy that.

All of the things I have bought from the US (bar one compact Canon A520) have the international warranties. If warranties are a concern, double check with Canon for the the most up-to-date information. I'm bad and haven't ever really worried about it - at worst I'm up for $30-$50 shipping back to a US centre, at best Canon here will deal with it. Knock wood I haven't had to deal with any warranty issues in more years than I can remember!

Hmm, I'll have to find my documents but I have a letter from Canon Australia saying that they do honor the warranty on my new body even though I bought it in the US. I asked last year, but haven't followed up beyond that.

B&H is da bomb - everyone uses them and I've always had great experiences with shipping things from them. Note that they close each week to observe Jewish customs, but reopen for orders Sunday our time. You can still put stuff in your cart while they are closed, but you'll have to process later.

beachcamera.com also has very good prices and range, but I have not had anything shipped from them to Australia before. They often have specials, like a free card or something, with their lenses and bodies.

Adorama.com is another option - I haven't used them, but a friend here in Australia uses them regularly.

sigma4less.com often has excellent prices and they ship lickety-split fast, too. I've used them quite a few times.

buydig.com and newegg.com are good to have your list for electronics, too, and every now and again they offer a great deal on camera stuff - especially compact cameras. They, too, often have extras like chargers or extra cards thrown in for free with your order.

Just check, if you don't use B&H, that they are an Authorised Canon Retailer if you are looking for the rebates. Sigma4Less doesn't appear to honor the rebates but their 40D, for example, is out at $954 right now anyway.

BTW here's the Canon flyer so you can see if your wish list is on it:

canon08.jpg

The next lot of rebates is due out around October, for those who are planning ahead :laugh:

actual sigma stuff I already get a good price on (being a former employee) - will check out all those links though. Thanks! :(

Turns out we now need a new flash today also... the assistant who is working with Alex while I am off doing baby duties left the good flash on location. :laugh:

She left his full camera bag on location last week - luckily it was there when they went back. Can't say the same for the flash today though.

Of course if you want to help Australian retailers and keep them in business Quality Camera Sales is fantastic - he will answer any questions on a Sunday and everything is shipped overnight by Aust Air Express. Based in Perth.

She's still alive... but feeling very guilty and worried about finding the money to pay for a new flash.

I haven't worked with her on location, but apparently she is easily sidetracked while shooting. I dare say that she won't misplace anything from now on.

Quality Camera Sales

Canon gear only but also has tripdos, bags, cards, etc

Easily sidetracked = tie everything on and never put anything down. it use to be suggested I put the camera bag down but after having to go back to the races to collect a hat and another time to have someone collect a phone and charger I'd left there I carry everything with me.

I couldn't afford to buy the gear I have brand new from Australia. The weak USD has made it possible for me to upgrade to some great quality gear to take travelling. Can't believe that during the Olympics in Sydney 2000 the USD was 51 cents and now it's around, what? 95 cents?

Ashanali, is your equipment insured?

I'm going to check mine is covered under travel insurance. I get free travel insurance through work so I'm going to read the fine print.

kja, offtopic, but I'm curious as to where you saw these grey nurse sharks you speak of. I didn't know WA had a colony? I go diving to see a colony near Wedding Cake Island, Maroubra - haven't been for a year as last time it was so damn cold at 22 metres I gave myself a migraine. I've also seen some at Forster and seen a few at Julian Rocks off Byron Bay (where that diver was taken by a Great White in '93).

Now, if only I could afford some underwater housing, ports and a strobe for the 30D. In my dreams! Most point and shoot compacts won't go past 10-15 metres so we don't bother taking one under.

kja, offtopic, but I'm curious as to where you saw these grey nurse sharks you speak of. .

ROFL, my bad! Remember when the $100 bill was grey? They were called Grey Nurses, at least here in WA in the diving community.

We don't have a colony that I know of, but we do get a lone grey nurse a couple times a year at one of our dive sites.

Most point and shoot compacts won't go past 10-15 metres so we don't bother taking one under.

Actually, that's not true at all. There are about a zillion choices for underwater options with a compact digital camera and they are rated to 40m and more easily. A great number of Canon A series cameras have manufacturer housings (I use this as a baby system and also hire them out - excellent). A very good setup can be had for around $300 US camera and housing- one of the most popular at the moment is the A570. I think they are down to about $125US and the Canon housing is about $165US. I have two of these myself.

Add an external strobe that can move with you when/if you want hard wired/housed DSLR and you have an extremely capable system that is affordable and small enough to actually drag around. I personally like Inon strobes with Ikelite being my second choice.

You can "upgrade" to an Ikelite housing for quite a few compact cameras and this will give you a greater depth rating and the ability to use ttl with some systems and Ikelite strobes. Expect the strobe to cost more than the camera :laugh: But they should last forever.

Don't want to spend on a strobe? Use manual white balance. It's not quite the same, but the Canon A series in particular does a wonderful job with MWB only. The Canon G9 is also a fantastic choice for those who don't want to float the cash for housing a dslr right now.

Fuji and Olympus also make models that are good, but really, Canon has the edge in this department for some reason now. Oly used to have the fantastic 5050 but they are like hen's teeth now and you will pay top dollar for them.

There are also add on wet mate lenses available that are very high quality so with a compact you can get the flexibility of wide angle through super macro all in one dive - which I miss quite often while using my dslr rig LOL

Want more UW info, maybe we should start another thread hehhee or just PM me...I do this every day so have a lot of geek knowledge :eek:

/end hijack