Removing Tartar Build Up

Hi there,

I have a cavalier and she is 17 months old and the vet said to me the other day she has some tartar building up, now stupid me didn't ask what he would recommend to remove this. Her diet includes kibble, barf patties, chicken necks (which i cut up) wing tips,(i also cut up) (paranoid about her choking), and maybe a pigs ear once a week.. oops also , raw egg and sardines, (smelly).

What do you use?

Regards

Mollysmum, Charlottesmum and Sophiesmum

I have a Cavalier too,

Wings, & Necks whole, they won't help clean the dogs teeth cut up. Other bones are good too... Snood required if you don't want sticky ears :cheer:

To get the tartar off the teeth:

Start with toothpaste on a cloth to clean teeth, graduate to a tooth brush and if they don't work......

A Tartar scraper from a Chemist or friendly dentist ~ there's another thread about them.

Have fun.

Edited by Ashka

To get the tartar off the teeth:

Start with toothpaste on a cloth to clean teeth, graduate to a tooth brush and if they don't work......

A Tartar scraper from a Chemist or friendly dentist ~ there's another thread about them.

Yes, I do this too. My girl is great with it, as I worked up to brushing slowly and am very gentle. I also use those white cotton gloves from the supermarket with toothpaste on one of the fingers (it's a bit Michael Jackson, but nobody sees me doing this!!) :)

Once they are used to you poking and proding in their mouths, I find doing the scraping bit first the most effective - get the hardcore stuff off first, then clean all teeth with glove/brush.

I know if I've missed a week of this treatment, as her breath gets a bit more "interesting"....

Cheers, Helen