Pentax Dslr

Purpley

Hi there,

Does anyone have a DSLR from Pentax?? Or does any one have any feedback on them. I currently own Olympus E500 and have the oppurtunity to get a Pentax DSLR for next to nothing (good friend is national sales manager) and was wanting to get some feedback first.

Cheers

My dad has the K100D. Its not a bad camera but I much prefer my Canon. He's very happy with it, he couldn't justify spending the extra to get something else and he's picked up some lenses quite cheaply from ebay for it.

He got some great shots when they were on holidays recently, I can find some to put up if you like isiss?

Why do you want two DSLRs? The Olympus is a pretty good DSLR. My husband has one for his work but it belongs to his work, he just gets to take it home every night.

I have a Canon but I've used the Olympus and I think it's fine, it's more noisy at higher ISOs than my Canon but it's still a good DSLR.

I (personally) don't want 2 Ripley, should have said that in the OP, sorry. OH tends to go out alot on the weekends 4wding etc, and he takes the Olympus, which leaves me cameraless, and with kids, its always when I want to take pics that I don't have the camera.

So basically it would be a back up (the Pentax), or given to OH to use. I love my Olympus and am really happy with it, hasn't missed a beat and have had some great photos from it (crap photos due to the user, not the camera).

Edited by isiss

I used to have an ist D - couldn't complain - was a nice camera. Took some great shots with it. It's not so much the body but the lenses you put on it in any case.

I switched to Canon a while ago, mainly because of lens availablity.

... Does anyone have a DSLR from Pentax??...

Noooooo - but I have a Pentax SLR which I love, and Pentax lenses are very good, like excellent, and you can get the beautiful older ones at a good price on ebay which will work fine on a new DSLR. If your savings are good from this friend, don't go below the 10D, lovely camera.

As to having two DSLR's - the question isn't why would you want two, - it is why wouldn't you?? When you are shooting and would like to be able for example to use a sharp prime for a portrait, then zoom for action across the arena, so much quicker to take up the other camera around your neck than to change lenses, and much less chance of dust getting in as it can with too much lens changing. And if you are not going to change the lens (some people don't bother) what ever is the point of having a DSLR instead of a good point-and-shoot with 10x zoom? (Plus it is just good sense to have a back-up of all equipment in case something goes wrong in the middle of the day when you're two hours from home).

I have the Pentax K10D.

Im still getting use to it as its my first DSLR.

I love it. My photos are of bad quality due to the user not camera but Im happy to show you some.

ISH, are those photos KI? I love that place.

My old faithful is a *istD. (I also got mine direct as I used to work for CR Kennedy ). It has served me very well through many wedding shoots. Nowadays my kids use it and it is still going strong with only minor issues such as hot pixels.

Pentax products are very reliable and their after sales service is brilliant.

I currently have a Pentax k100D super, It's a great dslr for the amateur.. I have a learn't a huge amount from it, although I do prefer Canon. I will be upgrading to a Canon 40d later on this year (can't wait). :thumbsup:

40d is fun. :)

• 1 month later...

I have a Samsung GX10 which is exactly the same as the Pentax K10D. I love this camera and the amount of lenses you can use with it. I'm going through a phase of using Manual lenses at the moment. For people with a Pentax and into Pet Photography, you should check out either a FA 50mm/1.4 or a Manual 50mm/1.7 ( which i own) and is considered one of the sharpest lenses Pentax has made. These are great for animal shots as they are a low light lens which means you don't need to flash poor poochie or kitty when indoors, so you save their eyes and don't end up with red eye. For some people they can take some getting used to because of their narrow depth of field. I highly recommend these be in everyones bag. :cheer:

Here's just a couple of shots taken on the weekend with the M 50mm/1.7 lens wide open.

sg108211sh5.jpg

sg108210dj1.jpg

sg108171xf4.jpg