Obedience Training At A Club

I have just contacted a local club and they said the joining fee includes the purchase of a halti which we must use! Is this normal? What do I look for in a good obedience class??

I have just contacted a local club and they said the joining fee includes the purchase of a halti which we must use! Is this normal? What do I look for in a good obedience class??

Just on the halti - I'm not sure I like the idea that you "must" use a halti. It works on some dogs, but others hate them. I've had dogs it did work on, another dog that nearly tied himself inside out trying to get rid of it, and another where it made no difference whether he had it on or not (he tends to lag at the best of times). The best way to find a good obedience club is word of mouth and if you give a few more details you should get a few good suggestions here.

What if the dog doesn't need a halti? Even if one would be useful to a dog (I used one with Charlie) I would never recommend using it for more than a few weeks. To me it is something that gives you enough control to teach the dog where it should be, it should never be used to force the dog into the right position. After a few weeks a dedicated handler should have a dog that at least has a reasonable idea of where it should be and thats when lots of praise and rewards are used to encourage the dog to stay in that position. I wouldn't spend money on something I'm only using for a few weeks.

Where abouts are you located? Im sure there are plenty of members in here who could point you in the direction of a good training school.

This is not normal, and I would be very wary of any club that insists on this.

As previously stated, not all dogs will work well on a Halti, so other equipment must remain an option.

Depending on the dog, and your training skills, you may have to use a flat collar, or even a correction collar, or maybe a Halti. But to insist that every dog wear one from the beginning, is not the right way to go.

Look for a club where they base their training on motivation, by way of food, toys praise etc.

Good luck with your training.

Julie

I would avoid a club that insists all dogs have to wear the same equipment, as each dog is different as are handling skills.

Before I go to a club, I call them and ask them what equipment they allow, if I can bring toys and treats and because I like to try different things, I ask if they are open to new ideas and trying different stuff (like food spitting :hug: ). It is also good if you can go and watch and get an idea of what the club is like, how they structure classes, how active it is (do they move a lot or is it a lot of sitting in a circle etc), how crowded it is and how much control people generally have of their dogs. I sound pretty picky hey :laugh: Well having had a difficult dog, I now am more careful to assess clubs to see if they are the environment I would like to train in.

If you tell us where you are, we can suggest some clubs that may be suitable.

Hmm this is what the email response said-

"The cost is $80, which includes a joining fee, membership of the club for the current year, and a Black Dog haltie, compulsory for beginners."

Its the Nowra club. I am at Shoalhaven Heads but work in Wollongong. I am thinking of going to the Dapto club. I think its silly to insist on using a Halti even for beginners when as everyone has stated a lot of dogs won't need it/doesn't work!

Do you have to pay each time you go on top of that? If so $80 seems expensive! Most other clubs I have been to have a $20 or so joining fee + $2 every time you go. Agility has been more expensive but they have equipment etc.

Do you have to pay each time you go on top of that? If so $80 seems expensive! Most other clubs I have been to have a $20 or so joining fee + $2 every time you go. Agility has been more expensive but they have equipment etc.

It is expensive but i guess they're charging you for the halti as well in that.

I think Valby has deceided to come to the club i go to which is South Coat dog training now anyway.They only charge $3 lesson,there is a joing fee but i can't remember what it was,not anything like $80 though and they most of the trainer are not fond of halters.The instructor i had the other day gave the talk about the injuries they can give dogs and a guy in the class promptly took his off the dog

Valby, I think I have a friend who actually goes to that club.

Would you like me to find out their thoughts on it?

To the Nowra club? yes that would be good but my minds about 99% made up on Dapto :)

My friend was a bit cautious about the club at first because they don't let you tell the dog "no" and he and his dog had to sit out one lesson because George (dog) didn't eat his reward treats. However he now can "see what the club is doing" and has stuck with them.

He also said he would recommend the club because "they show you a huge variety of techniques because every dog is different. So as a student you need to learn to take what works and go for the outcomes".

Your choice is up to you, but I thought some direct feedback may be useful.

My friend was a bit cautious about the club at first because they don't let you tell the dog "no" and he and his dog had to sit out one lesson because George (dog) didn't eat his reward treats. However he now can "see what the club is doing" and has stuck with them.

He also said he would recommend the club because "they show you a huge variety of techniques because every dog is different. So as a student you need to learn to take what works and go for the outcomes".

Your choice is up to you, but I thought some direct feedback may be useful.

That's interesting. Did he say anything about the use of a Halti?

Nothing specific. I know they (the club) do use them and he doesn't have a problem with it.

He says the dog would probably prefer something around his neck than over his mouth though.

Hey everyone, besides controling a dog's head, does a halti also stop the dog from barking? My dog barks heaps at the dog obedience classes. thanks

Yes I would actually like to know this too, one of my dogs barks at other dogs when walking and I need a way to get her focus off them and back to me...

Hey everyone, besides controling a dog's head, does a halti also stop the dog from barking? My dog barks heaps at the dog obedience classes. thanks

Yes I would actually like to know this too, one of my dogs barks at other dogs when walking and I need a way to get her focus off them and back to me...

No, because the halti is loose on the nose they can and do bark as they normally would (speaking from personal experience).

Hey everyone, besides controling a dog's head, does a halti also stop the dog from barking?

No, it doesn't stop them from doing anything they would normally do.

I need a way to get her focus off them and back to me...

Start being more interesting than "them" then reward when the focus is on you.