Getting A Sick Dog To Drink

My Cole is sick at the moment - very depressed and not eating. He has been to the vet and blood work etc is being done.

My problem is that today he is reluctant to drink. He is not dehydrated yet but would like some suggestions to make the water more attractive to him.

Thanks

Edited by Janba

I'll try that. He is turning his nose up at chicken the roast chicken I bought yesterday to try to get some food into him so I may as well boil it up and make onionless stock.

If he hasn't drunk properly by tonight or he dehydrates he will have to go on a drip. The vet has no idea what the matter is. The symptons are slightly elevated temp., not intestinal or stomach tenderness, colour is still good, heart sounds fine just really depressed and lethargic.

He won't touch yoghurt at the moment which he normally loves so milk probably wouldn't work. Syring is a good idea if all else fails.

You could try getting some flavoured water from your local supermarket (made especially for dogs, it's in the pet food section in with the puppy/kitty milks). A friend gave it to Zero once and he loved it (i think it's along the lines of chicken stock though so the boiling chicken in water thing is probably the same thing!).

Sorry, can't for the life of me remember the name of it but i saw it in coles.

You can buy a product called "LECTADE" at produce stores and probably vets which is specifically for this purpose.

It is an Oral Rehydration Therapy and comes in sachets. You mix Sachet A with Sachet B in a specific amount of water.

I have always found that sick dogs know that it is what they need and drink it up no problems at all.

I suppose if they were very sick then the syringe would have to be used.

It has saved me many visits to the vet over the years! :D

Syringe sounds great advice. Glad to hear he's had some liquid. I was going to suggest crushed ice as some dogs really enjoy the ice. They usually like to lick it off your hand though when they're sick!

If he does like ice, freeze some of the stock in ice cube trays so he can suck on them

Glad to hear he's perking up a bit and drinking!

The other thing you can do is add some of the stock to his food and he should slurp it right up with the food

Edited by Gomez the Norfolk

does he like liver? this is really gross, but full of nutrients and liquid -

boil some liver and then puree with some of the cooking liquid so it's soupy...

:D for us, but Gomez thinks it's the most gourmet thing you can give him...

I don't usually keep liver in the house in case the dally gets hold of it - they can't metabolise prines and liver is very high in purines

Two methods I have used to get sick dogs to take some fluid is a) a tiny amount of milk in the water-just enough for it to turn white. b) Using hot water add a little honey, stir so as to melt honey and allow water to cool down.

best wishes to you and Cole, hope all is well again soon.

Annie and her boyz