9 Day Old Pup With Yucky Eye

One of my 9 day old pups has an eye with alot of pus coming out, her eyes are not open yet and i think what may have happened is a few days ago they had the runs and when fighting over the teats another pup may have scratched her in the eye with poo on its foot. Can i bathe it in salt water or will this effect the pups unopened eye? She will be going to the vets in the morning but is there anything i can do now for her? What a battle this litter has been so far :)

Yes you need to open the eye to get it out. get a needle & heat it up, run it along the join line lightly. The eye is open at the inside corner anyway so open that end first. You can bath with saline or cold tea. It will be gone once you open the eye lids :)

Yes you need to open the eye to get it out. get a needle & heat it up, run it along the join line lightly. The eye is open at the inside corner anyway so open that end first. You can bath with saline or cold tea. It will be gone once you open the eye lids :)

Will that damage the eye opening it too soon?

Trisven13 from albury dog rescue had a pup with eye problems similar to what you are describing. I cant find the link but maybe a PM to her as I remember she got loads of advice but I think she had it in general

Edit as I got her name wrong :)

Edited by storm

Will that damage the eye opening it too soon?

NO..........you will need to check all the pups as you are likely to have others like it also.

Its neonatal conjunctivitis quite possibly. Storm is right - we had it in a recent rescue litter. Bathed the eye with tea bags and the pup had some antibiotics and by the next day it was gone. Both pups now have perfectly normal eyes.

I didn't open my pup's eyes as they were only around 5-6 days old but those particular pups did have eyes that opened earlier - I think the infection loosened the seal (can't remember its scientific name I'm afraid).

My vet thought I was crazy :laugh: but luckily I'd read about it on here and knew that I had to get onto it quickly. None of my other pups developed it.