What To Feed My Boerboels

Hi All,

I'm hoping to get some advice/tips. I have a 9 month old male Boerboel and a 9 week old female. I'm basically following the breeders instructions on feeding and I know that I have to be careful with giant breeds particularly with their weight, joints etc.

At the moment the bitch is on EP Holistic Giant Puppy, mince, yoghurt and some grated veg and fruit whilst the dog is on PP Giant Breed, mince, yoghurt, grated fruit & veg. Chook necks or wings for him daily and mutton flap, brisket or lamb neck 3 times a week. She also has had a mung on lamb neck a couple of times this week (picked her up last Friday).

Someone told me today that I should introduce shark cartlidge to their diet? Can anyone give me suggestions/advice/tips on feeding these two giant breed dogs? The male is growing like a weed and to me he looks too lean every other week (growth spurt??) All my dogs live on 7 acres and are really active. I'm careful not to let them over exercise, but, how much exercise are giant breeds allowed during this growing period? I know I have a much happier dog, easier to work when he is active through out the day.

I did alot of research on the breed before I got them and I basically follow what I've learnt and been told by his breeder but I'm keen to know what others do with their giant breed dogs.

PS: I keep on forgeting to mention my lovely old Australian Cattle Dog, 14yo. I've got him on Iams Active Maturity with some lean mince, yoghurt & veg + bones, necks etc. He is definately overweight, but I can't possibly cut down the amount of food (it seems like he gets so little compared to the others) Any suggestions on keeping this old boy healthy but lean??

Could you try the low fat Iams kibble (if you don't want to change brands) for him?

Zero's on doggie weight watchers atm and he's only getting 1.5 cups of low fat kibble and a chicken wing a day and he's thriving!!

Hi there,

When you say: "whilst the dog is on PP Giant Breed" does this mean ProPlan? If so I don't think they do a giant formula? A large breed formula yes, but I'm pretty sure there's no giant? I'm happy to stand corrected though :D

Can you feed the dog on the Eagle Pack Holistic as well? IMO it is a top quality food.

Everything else sounds pretty good to me :confused: Not sure on the shark cartlidge though, I too have heard it mentioned before but I don't know what the supposed benefits are.

At 9 months old, the male WOULD be growing like a weed! :rofl: If he looks a bit lean some days/weeks, honestly I wouldn't stress about it. The giants grow a bit funny sometimes, up then out, or back half then front half, etc. He may look a bit gangly for a while, but rest assured it will settle down and he will begin to fill out once he's reached his full height.

As for exercise, I personally wouldn't be letting either of them run around all day or anything (not saying you do). A good romp in the yard is fine, but puppies need their rest and shouldn't stress their growing bones and joints.

As long as you're following all the guidelines from the breeder - which you are - then I'd say you're on the right track, as they know their dogs the best :rofl: Good luck!

Hi there,

When you say: "whilst the dog is on PP Giant Breed" does this mean ProPlan? If so I don't think they do a giant formula? A large breed formula yes, but I'm pretty sure there's no giant? I'm happy to stand corrected though :D

Can you feed the dog on the Eagle Pack Holistic as well? IMO it is a top quality food.

Everything else sounds pretty good to me :confused: Not sure on the shark cartlidge though, I too have heard it mentioned before but I don't know what the supposed benefits are.

At 9 months old, the male WOULD be growing like a weed! :eek: If he looks a bit lean some days/weeks, honestly I wouldn't stress about it. The giants grow a bit funny sometimes, up then out, or back half then front half, etc. He may look a bit gangly for a while, but rest assured it will settle down and he will begin to fill out once he's reached his full height.

As for exercise, I personally wouldn't be letting either of them run around all day or anything (not saying you do). A good romp in the yard is fine, but puppies need their rest and shouldn't stress their growing bones and joints.

As long as you're following all the guidelines from the breeder - which you are - then I'd say you're on the right track, as they know their dogs the best :rofl: Good luck!

Thanks Cassie, I was pretty confident with following the breeders advice but it's always comforting to hear from other BIG dog owners that your on the right track. Particularly when you are new to the breed. You are absolutely correct, PP is for large breed, not Giant. I do want to get him on to the Eagle Pack, the bitch is thriving on it. The male was actually on it for the first two months but then I couldn't get it. I've found another distributor though so once the PP is gone, I'll put him straight on it. One question, at what age do you take them off Puppy Formula? I've heard that he should still be on Puppy then someone else told me that Giant breeds should be on Adult formula so as not to grow too fast? I'm a little confused as I thought that a Giant Breed Puppy Formula would take growth control into account.

I will be careful with the exercise, thank you for that, I appreciate your advice very much :rofl:

No worries at all, glad you found my advice helpful :( I learnt everything I know from people on here :(

The reason some recommend taking the pup off large/giant puppy formula early is (to my knowledge) because some foods that are not super premium grow large breed puppies too quickly. It's like the manufacturers think "Well this pup has a lot of growing to do so let's grow grow grow!" when it should be the complete opposite, slow and controlled growth. Super premium foods (EP is definitely one of them, as is Nutro, as is Royal Canin which my Saint pup is currently on) know this and so their large/giant puppy formulas are specifically designed to encourage sloooooooooow growth. For this reason it is ok to leave them on the puppy rather than switching to adult.

I started raising my Bernese on ProPlan, but then couldn't get it one day and so decided to try Eagle Pack Large/Giant breed puppy as I'd read so many positive things about it, and he loved it and really thrived. He stayed on that til about 18 months of age, when I switched him to the adult. Now he's back on ProPlan, as I find it easier to get, he's on the Large Breed Adult. ProPlan is what his breeder feeds and raises all her dogs on. I've not had any problems with either food, although IMO I think the EP is the better choice. He is three and a half.

My Saint pup is almost 6 months, and is on Royal Canin Giant, which is what his breeder feeds and raises all her dogs on. I like Royal Canin as it goes up in stages, from 2-5 months he was on the RC Giant Baby Puppy, from 5-12 months (current) he is on RC Giant Puppy, at 12 months I will swap him to RC Giant Junior, and then at 18-24 months I will swap him to RC Giant Adult. Each progression the kibble size is enlarged, so as the pup and it's mouth grow, so does the food, and each progression also takes into account the different energy levels and nutritional needs for that age group. I find it very good and have had no problems to date.

Edited by cassie

All my dogs live on 7 acres and are really active. I'm careful not to let them over exercise, but, how much exercise are giant breeds allowed during this growing period?

if the boerboel is a natural breed, then it won't 'over exercise' itself -

ie: they will not hurt themselves by running / walking / playing at their own leisure - it is good for them.

i would allow them to do whatever they do on their own accord.

if the pup gets tired she will sleep :(

No worries at all, glad you found my advice helpful :( I learnt everything I know from people on here :(

The reason some recommend taking the pup off large/giant puppy formula early is (to my knowledge) because some foods that are not super premium grow large breed puppies too quickly. It's like the manufacturers think "Well this pup has a lot of growing to do so let's grow grow grow!" when it should be the complete opposite, slow and controlled growth. Super premium foods (EP is definitely one of them, as is Nutro, as is Royal Canin which my Saint pup is currently on) know this and so their large/giant puppy formulas are specifically designed to encourage sloooooooooow growth. For this reason it is ok to leave them on the puppy rather than switching to adult.

I started raising my Bernese on ProPlan, but then couldn't get it one day and so decided to try Eagle Pack Large/Giant breed puppy as I'd read so many positive things about it, and he loved it and really thrived. He stayed on that til about 18 months of age, when I switched him to the adult. Now he's back on ProPlan, as I find it easier to get, he's on the Large Breed Adult. ProPlan is what his breeder feeds and raises all her dogs on. I've not had any problems with either food, although IMO I think the EP is the better choice. He is three and a half.

My Saint pup is almost 6 months, and is on Royal Canin Giant, which is what his breeder feeds and raises all her dogs on. I like Royal Canin as it goes up in stages, from 2-5 months he was on the RC Giant Baby Puppy, from 5-12 months (current) he is on RC Giant Puppy, at 12 months I will swap him to RC Giant Junior, and then at 18-24 months I will swap him to RC Giant Adult. Each progression the kibble size is enlarged, so as the pup and it's mouth grow, so does the food, and each progression also takes into account the different energy levels and nutritional needs for that age group. I find it very good and have had no problems to date.

Cassie, you've been really helpful again, thank you. You actually gave the answer I wanted. I will switch the male to the EP Puppy now with the bitch, will make life much easier. As far as the half bag of PP I've got left, how long does an open bag of dry last? Should I donate it to my local pound? (Hawkesbury)

Thanks everyone who responded, much appreciated :laugh:

I think you're all forgetting the most important factor here....

worth.gif

:D

we need to see these two gorgeous dogs of yours!!!!

Edit: oops7yt.gif I found them hehe...in the photos thread thblushing.gif

Edited by outatime

I think you're all forgetting the most important factor here....

worth.gif

:D

we need to see these two gorgeous dogs of yours!!!!

Edit: oops7yt.gif I found them hehe...in the photos thread thblushing.gif

Sorry.... :)

Here is Cruz (Big Boerboel), Asali (baby Boerboel) & Junior (very elderly ACD Gent) Note the luxury bedding!!! Not happy Jan...My husband left this spare mattress in our rumpus room when we had people stay over months ago...needless to say, this really good mattress is no longer a "really good mattress" It's now the dogs bed..hohum!

post-22787-1213356691_thumb.jpg

post-22787-1213356715_thumb.jpg

post-22787-1213356728_thumb.jpg

post-22787-1213356748_thumb.jpg

They are all so beautiful :) I see you decided on a name for your girl then, I love it :D

As far as the half bag of PP I've got left, how long does an open bag of dry last? Should I donate it to my local pound? (Hawkesbury)

Not sure how long opened stuff lasts for, maybe check the use-by date? I don't think it would make much difference if you mix the PP and EP until the PP is all gone though, if you want to use it up. (I've done something similar before.) If not, I'm sure any pound would be over the moon to receive such a donation :rofl:

On a side note m_knight, come and visit us in the Giant Fluffies thread sometime :eek: We don't care if your dogs are fluff-less ;)

They are all so beautiful ;) I see you decided on a name for your girl then, I love it :D
As far as the half bag of PP I've got left, how long does an open bag of dry last? Should I donate it to my local pound? (Hawkesbury)

Not sure how long opened stuff lasts for, maybe check the use-by date? I don't think it would make much difference if you mix the PP and EP until the PP is all gone though, if you want to use it up. (I've done something similar before.) If not, I'm sure any pound would be over the moon to receive such a donation :eek:

On a side note m_knight, come and visit us in the Giant Fluffies thread sometime :eek: We don't care if your dogs are fluff-less :rofl:

Thanks so much Cassie, you've been great :) I will definately come and visit the Giant Fluffies...I can fulfil the Giant requirement, but alas not the Fluffy - does shedding an extaordinary amount of coat, even though short haired qualify??? :mad

LOL yes you definitely qualify! We the Giant Fluffy folk all know about heavy shedders :D Don't tell Hudson but he isn't a true GF either, he's a short coat Saint! :)

Edited by cassie

LOL yes you definitely qualify! We the Giant Fluffy folk all know about heavy shedders :D Don't tell Hudson but he isn't a true GF either, he's a short coat Saint! :rofl:

;) That reminds me of something that someone said to me on the street the other day. You know how you always get people coming up and wanting to TELL you what sort of dog you have?? You know the ones - "Well that's gotta be a St Bernard...look at the size of his feet!!" Well, I had this middle aged man approach me and Cruz in the street and exclaimed at the top of his lungs "Gee, that's gotta be a short haired St Bernard, you can tell by the size of his feet and his colouring, wow, I've never seen one with such SHORT hair before" After I composed myself, I managed to tell him he was in fact a South African Boerboel. He just gruffed "OH" and walked away with nothing else to say!! I also get, "He's a boxer cross masiff for sure" :)