Does This Really Work?

♪♫LMBC♫♪

I was googling some information on toilet training, and one interesting article suggested that the way to make your puppy go to the toilet where you want him to, is to scold any messes you findin the house (yes, scold the mess, not the puppy) then move the mess outside or wherever the toilet spot is, and praise it? :eek:

Sounds a bit odd to me, does it really work?

Here is the link:

house-training

where does it say to scold the mess may i ask? ;) that sounds a bit weird and i wouldn't think that that wouldn't really work in my opinion.

is to scold any messes you findin the house (yes, scold the mess, not the puppy) then move the mess outside or wherever the toilet spot is, and praise it?

you sound like a card, that is really very funny. :eek: if it works for some people well my hat goes off to them! :eek:

Edited by toydogs

Guest PixieOfWrath

I've heard it suggested as well that when a training agility dog knocks off a bar on a jump, you scold the bar as you're putting it back. Apparently it works :eek:

where does it say to scold the mess may i ask? :eek: that sounds a bit weird and i wouldn't think that that wouldn't really work in my opinion.

Its at the very bottom of the page, 'what to do if you discover a mess after the fact'

I think it would be quite funny to watch :eek:

This was actually suggested to me a couple of times when I was having trouble recently with my dog peeing in the house.

I didnt try it, because I managed to work around the trouble by locking him in my room with me at bed time :eek:

I don't know whether it works for dogs or not, I'm not sure they can reason that way. But having said that it's worked when my kids were little (like 2 and 3) and they fell on something or broke something. It deflects the problem from them and perhaps stops us from overreacting! Great distractor getting your kids to shake their finger at the hole in the ground they just tripped over and tell it off for being naughty and tricking them. :eek:

it says "do not show the dog you are upset", hmmmmmmmmm scolding the potty instead,

wouldn't that now show the dog you are? :eek: hmmm very strange but if it works what the hell.........lol

3. Do not show the dog that you are upset. Calmly put the dog on his leash and bring him to the location of the accident. With the dog at your side, firmly scold the potty. Do not scold the dog.

4. Blot up some urine, or pick up some stool with a piece of paper. Take the evidence and the dog to the latrine area. Place the paper on the ground and with the dog watching praise the potty for being in the "right" place. Temporarily leave the paper there. (Remove it when the dog isn't watching)

ha ha that is a classic :eek: haven't laughed like that in ages.

Edited by toydogs

I can't comment in regards to toilet training but I did use the method to teach Dante not to chew things he shouldn't. If he took say my shoe, I'd pick up the shoe and scold it.......he thinks shoe is bad and doesn't go near shoe....weird but it worked....could leave him inside alone from 6 months of age.

Whether dogs can reason is a whole other story, however dogs do understand cause and cause & reaction i.e. e-collars/scat matts/e-fences/bark collars etc.

Edited by sas

I can't comment in regards to toilet training but I did use the method to teach Dante not to chew things he shouldn't. If he took say my shoe, I'd pick up the shoe and scold it.......he thinks shoe is bad and doesn't go near shoe....weird but it worked....could leave him inside alone from 6 months of age.

Whether dogs can reason is a whole other story, however dogs do understand cause and cause & reaction i.e. e-collars/scat matts/e-fences/bark collars etc.

oooh I am so going to try this!?!?! :love: i will let you know how it goes!!! :D

I just saw this thread......

Like other posters, it has brightened my day

I had a tic tac in my mouth and when I read this , I laughed so hard, it flew out !!!!! :D :hug::hug:

I would love to try it just to see my dogs reactions - but I dont think I could do the telling off with a straight face

well......i tried this today (scolding the bad shoe) and it's kinda weird but it seems to have worked !?! strange but true for the moment anyway will continue and see if it sticks :) even got my OH to scold the naughty plant today too :cool: I'll try anything once......will give you all a firm update in a week! :D

• 2 weeks later...

yes i also tried scolding the naughty hole that he dug today.

i was praying that the neighbors weren't out in their backyard too. i'd feel like a nutter if they heard me yelling at a dirt hole. probably think they should drive me to the local asylum.

he ran for his life and has not been back to dig a bigger hole. so yes, it does work it seems :)

Edited by BIG DOG

You just have to be serious about scolding the object, don't laugh! LOL

Dog knows if you're not serious and will probably just think you're a nut job for talking to an object.

With the shoe, I picked it up very firmy and gave it a right telling off then put it on the floor and gave it a few good whacks......oh my that sounds crazy LOL

I've heard that it works for hole digging too. You can bash the hole with you spade and yell at it.

:cheer::laugh: :cool: This would be very hard to do with a straight face! I can't even read it on the screen without laughing!